Thread: AN etiquette

Default AN etiquette

Hello,

First time poster but have been reading lots and want to thank the community for keeping the board active and all the great information.

My wife and I are heading to CSS in December. First time ever at a Couples resort. We're in our late 30s and new to the whole AN thing. We haven't decided for sure yet, but are leaning toward trying it out.

As such, I have a few etiquette questions as there seems to be a lot of rules. For fear of offending, and forgive my ignorance, here they are:

1. What exactly is the protocol for hitting the beach? Are you allowed to find a spot clothed, set up and then shed your bathing suit or do we have to strut through the crowd with our bright white bottoms blinding everyone, lol?

2. Is it OK to ever cover up? And I don't mean totally suit up, but can you throw a towel over your bits if you need a break from the sun while lying down? The nether regions have never been exposed to the sun and I'm thinking some skin care may be in order during the day at some point, regardless if we're in the shade or not. So, can I toss a towel over myself for a bit or is that taboo?

I think the plan is to do our own thing initially and see where it goes socializing-wise if/when we give it a go.

Thanks for any help.

1. Find your spot, get set up, and then shed the suits. Or, if you are like me, shed the suit then do all that other stuff. The order is not important.

2. Some do cover up but it is frowned upon. Make sure to apply sunscreen in your room before heading to the beach and reapply often. You can always find shade especially at the bar.

Do go the first day you will absolutely love it!

tremolo I would also recommend tanning ahead of time, it will greatly reduce that whiteness and also increase the time you could be spending in the sun cause it can be a real killer if you're not used to it at all.

Tremolo,
    You made me smile, yes, it does sound like there are a lot of rules, but they really are not difficult.
    Arrive at SSB, find your spot, take a deep breath, shed the clothes and relax. Let Jamaican time and sand gravity take over! Remember to be friendly. If you want to be left alone with your sweetie, everyone will respect that, if you want to join in, simply join everyone at the bar and make new friends. AN folks are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet! If you happen to hear that there will be floatie races at the pool at SSB, be sure to attend....I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!
    Do go to SSB on the first day.....if it is not for you....no worries mon! Once you go, you will know!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012
    CSS October 2013
    CSS October 2014....Soon come!!

I agree with DonCindy. Covering up is frowned upon. I understand your reasons for wanting to do so, but if you cover up your nether regions for an hour, then it's a slippery slope that could lead to someone else covering up for 4 hours, then somebody else coming onto SSB and never shedding their bottoms at all. See how quickly that can turn SSB from an au naturel beach to a clothing optional beach? And once it's clothing optional you open the door to having a bunch of gawkers on the beach who don't want to take their clothes off but want to stare and gawk at nude people. Many people, especially women (myself included) would avoid SSB like the plague if that happened.

So, the best thing to do is to tan A/N before your vacation, then once at the resort put on lots of sunscreen before heading out to SSB, and then go early enough so that you can find a lounger which can be moved into shade if you decide you are getting too much sun. Another option is this: Once you have decided certain parts of you have had enough sun and you want to cover up those certain areas, call it a day and leave SSB and head over to the textile beach. You can always come back to SSB the next day.

Oh, and one more rule (there aren't many, really): If you are going up to the pool bar and are going to sit on a stool, please bring a towel with you and put the towel on the stool before you sit down.

I heartily recommend that you try SSB! It's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by CA_girl_in_TX; September 5th, 2014 at 11:12 AM.

We just got back from CSS, and had a great time. We were newbies too, and ended up spending a few hours each day at Sunset Beach/Pool.

I too read lots of posts about protocol, covering-up, and like you, it sure seems like there are lots of rules.

Since you are asking for advice, I'll give you my two cents.

If you are already thinking about it, you are already more than half way there. Try not to stress out about it. We thought about starting on the quiet side and slowly working our way over the the busier pool area, but instead, had a couple of drinks first at the main beach bar on the clothing side, then just walked right up to the pool, pretended like we've been doing this for years, got naked, and plopped down on our lounge chairs. For us, this allowed us to look around, see what everyone else was doing, and for us at least, allowed us to get comfortable a bit faster. We saw people getting up to get food, drinks, go to the restroom, and all that stuff, within the first 30 minutes, so it didn't seem quite as painful when we had to get up for the first time. The alternative would have been more privacy down on the corner of the beach, but a very long and painful first walk to the bar/grill/restroom.

After you catch your breath, assuming you took my first advice, and started right at the pool, the easiest thing to do is to get in the water and wade up to the swim-up bar and get a drink, you see this way your really only half naked because the other half is under water. You will also be forced to get real close to the vast majority of folks that hang out by the bar laughing and having fun. Make eye contact, say hello, get your drinks, giggle a little more to yourself about being naked in front of strangers, slam your first drink, order another and either head back to your chair to soak it in some more....then repeat.

As for walking to the ocean, restroom, grill, the mix is half and half as to folks wrapping a towel, or lightly covering up. In my week there, I don't think anyone was really too uptight about rules. I'm a pretty sociable guy, so I had conversations with pretty much everybody there. There were quite a few first timers, and several people that have been coming back for 10-15 years. Probably 75% of the people would at least wrap a towel around there waist when getting food, and nearly always when sitting at the walk-up part of the bar. Restroom, about half and half. Nobody seemed to care one way or the other.

The area around the pool is pretty intimate, and you will find the same 20-30 people there every day, with some going home and others arriving for the first time. What we did was pretty much stay naked for the entire 3 hours we were there the first day (other than getting food), and then the first time or two walking around or going to the restroom on subsequent days. That way everyone knows your cool, and not there for the wrong reasons. You will make many friends, and they will get to know you, and all will be cool. As long as you are friendly and not covering up all the time, nobody seems to care. They will even say hello when you have clothes on. LOL

And you know what, if you find your ultra white spots getting too much sun, neither me, my wife, or any of the other several dozen people I met and made friends with would do more than just laugh about how red your butt was getting...everyone understands and would have no problem if you covered some sensitive areas with the corner of the towel (just not clothes/swimsuit). We never heard or witnessed the nude police.

And finally, there are several clothing pools and beaches...you don't have to be naked the whole time. There are many other things to do and experience. In fact my wife brought several sexy new bathing suits that she really would have been upset if she didn't get to wear them, and there there are also so many nice people that hang-out at the other pools, beaches, bars, that you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't spend a bunch of time in a more covered up fashion. It also protects your less tanned spots to put some clothes on once and awhile.

Hi BandS25,

Thanks for the insightful and helpful tips. Just awesome.

I read so much about not walking by yourself, never covering, can't do this, can't do that etc.. that it got a bit confusing.

As a newbie, I guess I figured the AN beach would be just like the textile side but without clothes. So, if I wanted to walk to bathroom or bar without my wife, it wouldn't be a big deal. If I want to put a towel over my burnt rear, I can etc...

But didn't want to offend.

In the end, we're all adults and as long as you're not gawking, it sounds like everyone is pretty much chilled out and will let you do what you want as long as you're respectful, which we are.

Still, your post was a breath of fresh air.

No problem Tremolo.

Just one thing to clarify. You just have to go to the AN area together. Most folks spend most of their time "as couples" pretty much all the time, but there were a few where the wife would sit on the AN beach reading, and the husband spent most of his time hanging-out at the bar laughing and being more social. Thing is, because they (together) got to know everyone and were seen together getting food, sitting together, getting drinks, everyone knew he wasn't by himself, so all was good. I don't recall seeing anyone leaving the AN area without their significant other for any significant amount of time, if at all. They would arrive and leave together.

Tremolo, you'll have to give a quick review when you get back in December, to let us know how it went? We've already booked another week for next Summer. Have fun!

Default First time this Sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by BandS25 View Post
    Tremolo, you'll have to give a quick review when you get back in December, to let us know how it went? We've already booked another week for next Summer. Have fun!
    Will give a report when we get back. First time for SSB and AN...
    Counting the days until paradise...

Agreed. Tremolo, you must put some feedback when you return from paradise! Here's a linky to the very thread....

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...-Your-vacation

Have a great time and welcome to the nekkid fold!

Quote Originally Posted by Murtle View Post
    Agreed. Tremolo, you must put some feedback when you return from paradise! Here's a linky to the very thread....

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...-Your-vacation

Have a great time and welcome to the nekkid fold!
    Murtle, you crack me up!!
    Tremolo, you will be fine! You will be welcomed and remember you are not alone! Everyone on SSB had a first experience and was probably a little nervous. As I said before, the rules sound much more complicated than they really are. Respect is very important in Jamaica and it is something that we all should practice. The funny thing about being naked is that it puts everyone on a even playing field and respect becomes easy.....no shields or pretenses and no judgment!! I sincerely promise you that the folks that visit SSB are some of the nicest and most genuine people you will ever meet and they come in all shapes, sizes and colors! Please do visit and try to enjoy. If it is not for you, no worries Mon! The textile beach is also wonderful! It may surprise you if you visit SSB during the day and then go back to the textile side, you may see some of us also enjoying activities there too! CSS is a wonderful, magical and welcoming place! Do take the suggestion to tan before you arrive as the sun can be quite intense. I tan on a regular basis and still use SPF 30 for the first few days.

Cool runnings!!!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012
    CSS October 2013
    CSS October 2014....Soon come!!

The nude police don't really exist except on these message boards. Go and enjoy!

It seems like a lot of rules - it's more about keeping the experience the same for everyone.

I've only seen people get upset if:

1) Someone shows up alone (no significant other anywhere in sight) - and it stays that way for a long time. We all do stuff without our spouse (eat, get drinks, walk the beach) - but we arrive and leave together.

2) someone shows up, takes off their clothes and immediately covers up / hides under a towel - and stays that way... we'll always give newbies a break when they arrive but at some point you gotta come out from hiding.

3) you only take off your top and leave bottoms on.

4) overt, sexually oriented pda's

Doing one of those will certainly get you some looks, and you might be asked to leave.

The rest of the stuff - no-one will really notice that you wrap yourself in a towel for lunch, or cover your butt for a few minutes etc....

After all, we're there for our own experience & we really don't care what you do - the only reason the above is frowned on is it makes us feel less comfortable.

It really is about keeping the experience as something special for everyone and as was already mentioned - if people were allowed to bypass the being naked (and as a couple) rule then it's a slippery slope to gawker town.

We have to agree with the above comments. We just returned this past Wednesday (9/17) and we were first timers. We read lots on the message board for the do/don'ts. We felt fairly confident as we headed over the first day, as someone else we met there said, "just rip the band aid off and jump in". So we did, and really it was awesome. If your more comfortable wearing a towel to go get your food and sitting at the table, then do so, you can make it a bathroom break at the same time. Honestly no one is really paying any attention to who is where, and I guess we were lucky as no one seemed to be covering up anyway.
    My only one suggestion is to please spend some time with your significant other, while your there. Even if one of you likes to play volleyball or be social at the bar and the other prefers to read. We feel it's important to spend some time with your other half. I reflect on a situation we had for a few days, during our stay as there was a couple who came together, yet he spent all his time at the pool bar or doing the activity going on while his significant other stayed in her chair and read. They had hardly any interaction, and he would often butt into conversations, and made several of the ladies uncomfortable with his inappropriate comments or innuendo's. Sadly he couldn't take a hint that no one was really interested.
    Hope this helps. Looking forward to scheduling another trip soon.