Default snorkel vest or lifejacket at CSA

I've seen a few comments now about the need for a lifejacket on the snorkel trips at CSA. [I am assuming they mean snorkel vests but not sure].

Looking for more recent input on these.

I think these may have been on offer when we were there the last time but certainly not required. My husband is a diver and we are both strong swimmers/experienced snorkelers with much rougher conditions than anything from CSA - except in the case of a heavy weather system maybe.

Will we really be required to wear the vests? I will if required but really find them harder to swim and free-dive in than without in mild conditions.

-AJ

The last few times there we had to use them. Liability is the issue and not your ability to swim. They are inflatable ones that we used so just let the air out of it and you will be fine.

thx. It's too bad. I kind of expect to sign a release but there was probably something that forced the change. Requiring a vest isn't that common.
    Seems a lot of changes have come to the water sports area in the last year or so.

Yet another thing ruined by our sue-happy society. I do triathlons yet for the past 2 years at CN I have been told that I have to put a life vest on to leave the snorkel boat. Before that, no requirement. Heck, unless the water was unusually rough I could swim from the beach at CN to the snorkel area and back, it's probably no further than the swim portion of a triathlon. Couples should consider offering a waiver to sign when you sign up for your snorkel excursion. There are many of us out there who are experienced snorkelers who want to do more than float on top of the water with a mask.

the last thing I want to do is float on top of the water. That is not snorkeling; that's just floating! I had assumed that at least this was a snorkel vest and not a life vest. A life vest? Really?
    Waivers are pretty standard and they have one for diving. It really makes no sense.

Please if I'm missing something, please let me know. Even with deposit paid, I might consider cancelling and going somewhere else. This was one of our primary pasttimes at CSA. I know it isn't stellar snorkeling but for us being in the water and diving down to find something interesting is always fun

Even the best swimmers can drown.

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Since a previous comment didn't go through. I will rephrase.

Can someone clarify for me if the requirement is to wear a life vest or a snorkel vest? Big difference - snorkel vest is inconvenient and difficult to snorkel in, a life vest is really impossible to snorkel in (float yes, snorkel no).

Thanks,
    AJ

I believe it is a snorkel vest but even un-inflated it is a hindrance to doing much more than staying on the surface. I found it ironic that the water sports guy on the boat kept reiterating that "you don't have to inflate it but you have to wear it".

Quote Originally Posted by ajg View Post

Can someone clarify for me if the requirement is to wear a life vest or a snorkel vest? Big difference - snorkel vest is inconvenient and difficult to snorkel in, a life vest is really impossible to snorkel in (float yes, snorkel no).

Thanks,
    AJ
    Snorkel vests were required for us - not life vests. We went to CSA earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg View Post

Thanks,
    AJ
    Snorkel vest.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015