Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Heads up Rum Cream LOVERS

There is NO rum cream at the MoBay airport today. May 11, 2014. The only liquor store that carries it is closed. The other one doesn't carry it. It was a sad day.

Luck for me I purchased my flavored rum creams in Ocho Rios on a resort shopping trip since in Dec 2013 the airport didn't have the flavored ones. I found them for $15 a bottle after a talked them down a little on 8 bottles. There seems to be no shortage out side the airport. I planed on buying the standard rum cream at the airport in the 1L bottles. This was the first time in many trips to Jamaica I hadn't seem some type of Rum Cream at the airport.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; May 14th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.

We were just there May 4, and they had no rum cream, and no 12 yr old appleton rum either. Those were the two things i was looking forward to getting most! My wife and i were so upset!! The cream was for us, but the rum was to be a gift for my dad.

Also, the resort had plenty of jablum coffee, but when we got to the airport, not one single store or vendor carried it. The closest they had was Wallenford, which we already bought last year. They didn't have empty spots on the shelves like they were out, they just simply didn't even carry it. When we asked, most of them acted like they had never even heard of that brand! One person even asked us "why would you want to buy jablum? the 100% blue mountain coffee is better and we carry that." I am sure everyone knows, but jablum IS 100% blue mountain coffee... Then, to make matters even worse, when we got to the mobay lounge, the coffee they are serving is being held in a jablum carafe!

We were planning on buying our limit of rum, multiple bottles of cream, and a couple pounds of coffee, and instead walked away with nothing. I can understand being out of a thing or two, but to not have any of the things jamaica is most famous for?! And from the OP date, it sounds like it might be a Saturday/weekend thing. All of us tourists know the airport is going to be busy, you would think the duty free shop would know this as well, and maybe get an extra stock of popular items in.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

The day we left, it was only available in one of the duty free shops, and only in small bottles. Very disappointing.

We found that out the hard way. I told my husband we should have bought it at the resort! Don't make our mistake! I hope the other brand we bought from that other liquor store is ok. I'm very said to have missed out on trying the Sangsters banana rum cream though.

Also, due to airport remodeling, many if the gift shops are also closed, so you might not want to depend on that for gift shopping. We also found that out the hard way.

WOW... hard to believe that rum cream would not be available. It seems as if in the past there were several options such as Sangster's Jamaica Rum Cream or Wray & Nephew's Rum Cream. Usually we will pick up a bottle. We just returned this past week, but did not look for rum cream this trip.. Instead we got COCO Mania Coconut Rum Liqueur since we can not get it in the states. It is 40% compared to 20% for other coconut rums like Malibu Rum or Coconut Jack, etc.

Wonder why...

I didn't take the chance this time. I'd rather pay more at csa that get none, plus we used our resort credits, although we did go over. Now I have to make 4 bottles last!!

Luck for me I purchased my flavored rum creams in Ocho Rios on a resort shopping trip since in Dec 2013 the airport didn't have the flavored ones. I found them for $15 a bottle after a talked them down a little on 8 of them. I planed on buying the standard rum cream at the airport in the 1L bottles. I saw many people looking for it. There was disappointment everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by winlove View Post
    Instead we got COCO Mania Coconut Rum Liqueur since we can not get it in the states. It is 40% compared to 20% for other coconut rums like Malibu Rum or Coconut Jack, etc.
    I was also going to buy a big thing of coco mania, but since they didn't have anything else we wanted, my wife and i said forget it. We were going to spend a couple hundred dollars at the airport, but instead spent nothing. I had won a small bottle of coco mania on resort, so i guess that will have to do. If i. Get desperate, i can buy all that stuff online. Its a shame though. I was really wanting to help support the jamaican economy.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

When we were there in February I noticed what seemed to be a shortage of Rum Cream on display, at the airport, and asked about it. I has also mentioned something about it at Couples Negril. Got got the same answer which was Sangsters was having production problems keeping up with the huge demand for Rum Cream, but at the time it was only the Sangsters that was out, you could still get the other. They said most production was going to resorts and hotels. If I'm not mistaken Sangsters makes the Wray & Nephews as well. Man I hope in 162 days they have the supply fixed.

Ok, we get it hey are out. Anyone know why? will they not sell/ manufacture it? Can you get it elsewhere on the island? Don't want to panic, but we need some backstory on this.

I'm wondering if the shortage became apparent at the end of peak tourist season. This would make sense if they are primarily marketing it to the resorts.
    With any luck, they'll re-stock by November!!!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

All we could find on My 9th we Wray & Nephew. We haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it won't compare to Sangsters.

Rum Cream, jablum Coffee etc are all available at HI LO Grocery store at Sunshine Plaza in Negril. Usually at better prices than the Mo Bay airport. Worth a trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEcXKD9BfGU

We live in Ottawa, Ontario and love our Sangsters rum cream. The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) which handles the sale of most of the liquor in Ontario, has always had Sangsters. However, now it is listed as "discontinued". We have been driving around to LCBO stores buying up the remaining stock. We now have 11 bottles in the wine fridge. I hope it keeps well. One store had 31 bottles listed as available on Friday, 17 on Saturday and none after we bought the last bottle on Sunday. I guess we are not the only ones looking to stock up before it's all gone.

We are in Ontario, Canada too, and supply is limited in our area as well. Discontinued is what we get listed too.
    What some people don't realize is that Wray and Nephew are part of the same company of Sangsters. Owned by Campari. They just also acquired a successful whiskey company in Canada recently.
    I am wondering if the shortage has anything to do with Corporate shuffling? Maybe they will re-launch it? One can hope and dream.
    I don't think we can lay blame on the airport stores for not carrying it if production has stopped. Hopefully more will be available soon.

For anyone currently or recently at CSS or CTI, do the gift shops have rum cream in stock? Banana rum cream? Thanks!!!

Default Heads up Rum Cream LOVERS

Quote Originally Posted by Shawna&David View Post
    For anyone currently or recently at CSS or CTI, do the gift shops have rum cream in stock? Banana rum cream? Thanks!!!
    If you take a taxi into downtown Ocho Rios, you will find Banana Rum Cream and other Sangsters brands at the Rexal (sp) grocery store. It is so much cheaper than at the resort. The resort does carry it but it all depends how much of a shipment they get. It's the luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawna&David View Post
    Yes CSS had Rum Cream for $28.00 a bottle if you have resort credit otherwise I would go to Ocho Rios on a resort shopping trip. It's very safe.

I am in Ontario as well and spent time this weekend trying to hunt down some rum cream. Found 2 bottles in one LCBO and 1 bottle in another. One store listed 2 bottles in stock on the LCBO website but when I got there, there were none!! So, I need to make 4 bottles (I had one at home) last me until we return to CSA in December. Going to be a challenge!! Thanks for the heads up lotsastuff4u
    12/2010 CN
    04/2011 CSA
    02/2012 CSA
    12/2013 CB
    12/2014 CSA

No problems finding it on the 29th of May at duty free in the airport.

We are heading to CSS June 19 we don't check any bags so wondering if we will be able to get our rum cream at the airport. Any updates would be great.

fulgerite -

If you're connecting in the US, you will have to put the rum cream in your carry on when you arrive at your first entry point, and you WILL have to check the carry-on through to your destination.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    fulgerite -

If you're connecting in the US, you will have to put the rum cream in your carry on when you arrive at your first entry point, and you WILL have to check the carry-on through to your destination.

We have a direct flight home but I was wondering if the airport is still short on rum cream?

This seems to be quite the dilemma..
    The sun & the sand & a drink in my hand, with no bottom

Hopefully, this has been taken care of???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast