Hybrid View

Default School donations

Would love to bring along some needed school supplies for local schools and drop them off personally any idea on how to go about doing that .Do I need to plan it through CN or a private driver. Thanks

Default school supplies

Hello there! There is a very nice lady named Maurine Miller at CN who will help you set this up. We went to a school twice through her! It was the highlight of our trip to see those little smiling faces!!! Have fun and tell Maurine that Kim and Wayne Robinson said hello!! Have a great trip!!. Kim Robinson

Kim sounds great will tell her. thank you.When you went what was the most needed supplies? Thanks for for letting me pick your brain.

Default school supplies

They need anything that you can take. We took pencils,paper, crayons,lot's of candy,toothbrushes and toothpaste, and we gave each of the 4 classes 100.00 cash. We received a lot of candy and other supplies from people at work. We had 3 suitcases full!! Of course the kids liked the candy the best. The ring pops were a big hit. Everything was greatly appreicated!!! It is a school called the Ironshore Kindergarten. It has 4 classes. I think it goes from preschool up. Lot's of young kids. Have a blast!! You will remember it forever. It is going to touch your hearts in a very special way!! Kim

Default Just did this on Thursday

My wife and I and 8 friends did this a few days ago and had a life changing moment.

The items that most schools need are crayons, paper, pencils and pens. But on our last trip, we noticed that the school we went to, Mt. Airy Basic School, didn't have an up todate calendar, Working clock or chalk for the chalkboards.

The kids could also use simple things like, a pencil sharpener.

Have a great time, and be ready to have a changed heart and soul. It is something you will never forget.

Default pjw2079

Quote Originally Posted by pjw2079 View Post
    My wife and I and 8 friends did this a few days ago and had a life changing moment.

The items that most schools need are crayons, paper, pencils and pens. But on our last trip, we noticed that the school we went to, Mt. Airy Basic School, didn't have an up todate calendar, Working clock or chalk for the chalkboards.

The kids could also use simple things like, a pencil sharpener.
    Hi there!

We will be visiting Mt. Airy in about a month, and will now be bringing chalk, clocks, & calenders in addition to our crayons/gluesticks/colored pencils/pencil sharpeners....well, pretty much everything I can without going broke on baggage charges!

Thank you for posting this information!

My hubby and I would like to do this as well. We will be going to CSS from Dec. 11-20th. Would someone please help put us in touch with someone at CSS who can get our stuff to a local school? Thanks!

You might try Sophia in guest services. She's a sweetheart and very helpful.

Mrs. dirtleg is an art teacher and often receives free supplies from whole sale distributers and manufacturers, though not as often in the current economy. Anyway, a few years ago we packed a whole suit case full of sketch books, crayons, colored pencils and various other art supplies for the kids at local schools near CSA. The suit case weighed a ton but it was worth the effort to tote it along.

Fast forward to today. If we were to pack the same supplies in a suit case and take it with us to Jamaica it would cost a small fortune in overweight baggage fees. This is a side effect of todays economy and cost of flying that doesn't get mentioned much. My point is not to discourage anyone from donating school supplies to the kids that need it so badly, but please keep this in mind when packing them up. Paper goods become especially heavy, very quickly.

Perhaps someone may have another idea of how we can help the kids?

Any idea who to contact at CTI, for the same purpose?

Thank you all for the advice, it was very helpful I think we will pack the majority of things and may purschase heavier items there.Can't wait.

My sister teaches Special ED for young children!! We really want to help out thinking we could take enought for 10 children can someone get us in touch with a school or who we need to talk to? Tis the season to be giving!!!
    Thanks in advance
    Janelle

Default let us know..

Quote Originally Posted by Chipntraci View Post
    Would love to bring along some needed school supplies for local schools and drop them off personally any idea on how to go about doing that .Do I need to plan it through CN or a private driver. Thanks
    Could you please let us know how you make out with your plans, to visit the school.. We are going in April to CN and I have already started to purchase items. We went to the Dominican the last few years and we heard that Jamaican children need it just as much..It is a very heart wrenching experience, If I had to take my own kids somewhere a school house in Jamaica or the Dominican would be it..

Just want to make sure that we can hand it out ourselves. thanks

"Perhaps someone may have another idea of how we can help the kids? "

Cash...it packs very well and is just as badly needed.

Chip and I will bring what we can that will fit and then a monetary gift in addition . Does anyone know if we have to declare donations to customs and how do we go about doing so.

Does anyone know if they have school during the summer months? I'm not going till June, and would like to bring some items for the kids.

Default Check with airline

Hi. We are thinking of doing this too. We did it when we went to the Dominican. We packed ALL the school supplies in one suitcase and of course we were over the allowed weight. So I said to the gal at the airline check in "We're so excited! Were taking school supplies to the kids!" So she asked if she could open the suitcase with all the supplies -- of course it was OK by me. When she opened it, she smiled and said "We do not charge for you to take humanitarian supplies -- you don't have to pay for this suitcase!" SWEET! It was Air Transat.

So I'm going to check with United to see if they have the same policy. The key thing is the suitcase must contain 100% humanitarian goods -- nothing personal of your own.

If worried about weight, put the heavy items in your carry-on. I'm going to bring some paper with me, I'll just have to make sure I can fit a change of clothes and a swimsuit along with the paper.