Default Packing with only a carry-on!

I have only flown like once in my life and that was when I was a young child. I want to fly with only a carry-on. I have read the tsa websight info but, I don't understand the quart size bag thing. How many items can go into the quart bag? Please give me any advice on packing with a carry-on only that I might not think of. thanks

As many items as you can fit in the bag - but each item has to be 3oz or less. Your local department store will have "trave" size items which should all be of the appropriate size

Phil

As many as you can fit into the quart sized bag and still close it. Note: that's not a lot of things. Anything that is liquid or gel (including makeup, shampoo, hair products, skin care, toothpaste, sunblock, etc etc etc) has to go in there. You get ONE bag per person, and the max size is basically 3 ounces. (I think it's actually 3.4 ounces, but semantics...)

I can actually pack all my stuff into a carryon sized bag (really -- how much space does a bathing suit take up??), however, I have very long, very thick hair, and the hair products alone would take up several bags. I know there are lots of people who DO manage it, however (Pamela -- I am awaiting your response.) and if you are comfortable using the resort shampoo (there is no conditioner) go for it.

We have noticed, however, that we don't wait for our bags. In fact, in our 4 trips to JA, by the time we make it through immigration, our bags are waiting for us. That being said: I always pack one bathing suit and my vitamins and meds in my carry on. That way if my stuff gets lost, I can at least hang out on the beach. This time, though, we're going to CTI, so no need for a suit. (Tower Island and all. LOL.)

I went to Europe for a 10 day business/personal trip in a carry on - it can be done. You can't be married to your normal hair and makeup routine and do it. Minimize the liquids you need - I bring Olay daily facials or buff puff singles instead of my normal face products, small travel sizes of shampoo & conditioner, small hair spray, small eye drops, travel sized toothpaste, travel size hair gel (that's the one product I really miss because the travel sized ones I have found aren't that great) the Venus Spa breeze razor so no shaving cream, eye cream and moisturizer in a tube instead of a jar. When this first started I had screeners make me put my mascara and lip gloss in the bag but no one has said anything to me about those or my hand sanitizer in at least 2 years so I think they are getting a little more relaxed. I would buy sunscreen at the resort. I packed in a carry on this year but we had to check a bag with our scuba gear so I packed all of our sun screen in there.

Amy

If you can do it, more power to you, but it is serioulsy difficult and can be quite costly as well.

Sunscreen is expensive at the resorts, so is bug spray, or hair conditioner, etc.

Shoes and curling irons, flat irons, etc, along with all the toiletries are what end up in our checked luggage.

Don't forget men must have closed toed shoes, slacks and collared shirts for dinner.

My advice.......... check a bag.

Unless you are going to Couples for a month, packing everything you need in a carry-on bag is a snap. Bathing suits, flip-flops, t-shirts, two or three polo shirts and some shorts for the evening.

Your toothpaste, deodorant, and sun screen go in the quart size ziploc bag. Each one should be 3oz or smaller, but you can take several of each.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I just pack a bag, they are sitting there ready for you once you get through immigration, and I HATE carrying on a big bag. Most carriers do not charge for a bag when you are flying international, I know NW/Delta did not charge us last time.

Plus with a checked bag, you can bring back rum creme, you cannot do that with a carryon.

Default Sunscreen and bug spray

The biggest problem I could see with this is I've read from several postings on here that 2-3 bottles of sunscreen and bug sprays may be needed. That might be hard to fit in carry-ons only- perhaps if your significant other had checked a bag you could place things like that in there.
    That being said, our first trip to Jamaica is in a couple weeks, so I'm curious to see what other people say as well!

Jen
    Ben and Jenny
    CSA & CN- November 3-11, 2009

Vee, since you asked, here's the text from an e-mail that I sent to someone from the MB who contacted me and wanted to know EXACTLY how we manage to travel with only carry-on luggage:

We’ve been to Jamaica 15 times (always to a Couples resort) and have NEVER checked luggage. We prefer to stay at the resort and spend most of our time on the beach, so we spend most of our time in our swimsuits. Roll your clothes when you pack; you can fit more into your luggage. We each take a carry-on bag, and I carry a tote bag as well that I use instead of a purse. Once at the resort, I’ll use the tote bag to carry our stuff (books, iPods, sunblock) to the beach.

When we travel in the winter, we each wear a pair of convertible pants (converts from long pants into shorts) from LLBean, a lightweight top with a sweater or heavier top over, running shoes, and baseball cap (him). (We leave our winter coats in the car and RUN into the airport—easier to do with less luggage.) Before the plane lands, we remove the lower leg portion from the pants and remove the heavier shirt, and we’re in shorts and a lightweight top without having left our seats, and we have little to stuff into our luggage. When we travel in the summer, we just wear shorts and a top and running shoes. Wearing your running shoes is important; they take up a lot of room if you pack them, and we’ve had to run through airports before.

Here’s what we pack for a week (tweak as necessary):

For me:
    2 pairs of shorts
    2 tops that can be worn with either shorts
    3 sundresses
    4 bikinis
    1 sarong
    1 dress-style cover-up
    Running shorts
    Sports bra
    Yoga pants & top
    Socks
    Underwear
    1 pair of sandals with heels
    1 pair of flat sandals
    One pair pajamas
    Makeup (blush, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick – I skip eyeliner b/c it runs
    and skip foundation b/c it’s too heavy in the heat)
    Vacation jewelry

For Kev:
    2 pairs of shorts
    1 pair long pants
    2 polo shirts
    2 Hawaiian-style shirts
    4 swimsuits
    1 pair running shorts
    2 t-shirts
    Socks & underwear
    1 pair of sandals
    1 pair of shoes appropriate for Otaheite
    Pajamas

Other Stuff:
    Pens (for Immigration and Customs forms)
    Books – I have a Kindle, so I just dowload books to that—it saves room
    Ipods & earphones
    Camera
    Cell phones
    Phone and iPod chargers
    Hairbrush & comb
    Toothbrushes
    Travel size water pick
    Travel size sound machine
    Electric shaver
    Sunglasses
    2 1-gallon Ziplock bags (for wet swimsuits when you pack up to return home) (they
    also have 2-gallon bags if you prefer)

2 1-quart baggies of liquids:

Sunblock (six tubes of 3-ounce sunblock fit in one one-quart baggie)
    Makeup remover, moisturizer, top coat nail polish, toothpaste, hair conditioner.

We buy things like shampoo & conditioner, after-sun lotion, additional sunblock, and any other things we might need from the sundries store. It’s more expensive to buy it at the resort than at home (although with some airlines now charging for checked bags, maybe not), but it’s worth it to us. Always make sure you bring a few tubes of sunblock and at least a little hair conditioner with you. One year CN was out of all sunblock with an SPF higher than 8, and at CSS this past August, they had NO hair conditioner.

We pack very little but have never needed more than this. We spend most of our time in our swimsuits, so we only wear an outfit for an hour or two at a time and don’t mind wearing shorts, tops, sundresses, etc., more than once.

Most people tend to overpack and don’t wear half of what they bring. One woman on the MB packed an entire suitcase just with shoes. I bring flat sandals that will go with the daytime outfits I’ve packed and sandals for the evening that I can wear with all three sundresses. Sometimes it’s difficult to select exactly what to bring b/c I’m always buying things thinking, “Oh, this would be so great to wear in Jamaica,” but you’ll be glad if you’re able to pack only what you need.

Let me know if you have any questions: pamelaboland at optonline dot net.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

First off, with a carry on bag you can also bring a purse - which I take a large one for overflow. I usually put my 3 oz liquids in a gallon ziplock bag and have no problems (frequent flier here). If you are traveling with someone else and their ziplock has room, store the remaining liquids in their carry on. Your (large) purse should include socks and/or light sweater and whatever else you need during the flight - so that you don't have to try and get up to remove from overhead suitcase compartment. Good luck!

Hi Goodygirl! We only had carry ons for our June trip. Really, it was more than enough room. They provide the shampoo so, I just took conditioner, a razor and everything "travel size" from Wal-Mart that I needed. (Not a lot.) You each get a zip lock baggie so, we had enough room in those too. I even put a few things of mine in his baggie.

Also note that if you aren't flying directly from a gateway city (i.e., if you have to switch planes when you land home in the states), you'll have to check any bottles of liquid (read: rum cream) to your final destination, as that can't be taken onboard domestically.

You can travel without checking luggage, but I find that it really isn't worth the hassle when it comes to Jamaica. As was mentioned, the wait for your baggage is short, and you have to deal with customs and such anyway, so it doesn't really save that much time. I'd personally rather not have to fuss with making sure everything I want to bring is in appropriately-sized bottles, and I always want to bring home that lovely rum cream!

I envy anyone that could travel with just a carry on. Last year we went to CSA for 2 weeks and had a terrible time keeping the luggage under the weight restrictions. Truthfully, there is no way I could do it. We go to play golf, tennis and really like to dress up for dinner. Just the goops to keep my hair tamed would take up a whole carry on!
    This year we switched to another airline and can take 100lbs each in luggage,2 20lb carryons each and our clubs! Now, no problem mon!

We always go to CN for the week with only carry-ons. What saves us a little space in our bags is that we purchase sunblock and some of the other toiletries at CN when we get there. It may be a little more expensive than bringing it from home. But we think it's worth not having to check.
    Enjoy!

Great question, this is really going to be a challenge for me. I would love to travel with a carry on only. We've been to the Yucatan Peninsula for a 7 night stay and brought so many clothes which we never wore. This trip to CN which will be for a 8 night stay {4/12 4/20 } I'm hoping to pack it all in 2 carry ons. Can I do it? or am I dreaming? Usually my shoes alone would fill a carry on bag. I love shoes! but this trip I'm gonna try to limit it to only 2 pair, {maybe 3 or 4} hopefully I wont go into severe withdrawals. As far as clothes, I may be wearing the same thing every day if at the last minute I realize that my shoe addiction is to strong and the hell with the clothes... By the way are cell phones ok to bring on the airplane?

Default Gallon Bag?? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by kath052983 View Post
    I usually put my 3 oz liquids in a gallon ziplock bag and have no problems (frequent flier here).
    Kath - You use a GALLON bag and they let you go through? How do you manage that? I thought it was only a quart sized bag? If I had a gallon bag, I'd be fine.

By the time you clear immigration, your bags will be waiting for you. Save yourself some frustration and check a bag. You'll have more room to bring back souvenirs, coffee and rum.
    nobody's favorite poster

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    Vee, since you asked, here's the text from an e-mail that I sent to someone from the MB who contacted me and wanted to know EXACTLY how we manage to travel with only carry-on luggage:

We’ve been to Jamaica 15 times (always to a Couples resort) and have NEVER checked luggage. We prefer to stay at the resort and spend most of our time on the beach, so we spend most of our time in our swimsuits. Roll your clothes when you pack; you can fit more into your luggage. We each take a carry-on bag, and I carry a tote bag as well that I use instead of a purse. Once at the resort, I’ll use the tote bag to carry our stuff (books, iPods, sunblock) to the beach.

When we travel in the winter, we each wear a pair of convertible pants (converts from long pants into shorts) from LLBean, a lightweight top with a sweater or heavier top over, running shoes, and baseball cap (him). (We leave our winter coats in the car and RUN into the airport—easier to do with less luggage.) Before the plane lands, we remove the lower leg portion from the pants and remove the heavier shirt, and we’re in shorts and a lightweight top without having left our seats, and we have little to stuff into our luggage. When we travel in the summer, we just wear shorts and a top and running shoes. Wearing your running shoes is important; they take up a lot of room if you pack them, and we’ve had to run through airports before.

Here’s what we pack for a week (tweak as necessary):

For me:
    2 pairs of shorts
    2 tops that can be worn with either shorts
    3 sundresses
    4 bikinis
    1 sarong
    1 dress-style cover-up
    Running shorts
    Sports bra
    Yoga pants & top
    Socks
    Underwear
    1 pair of sandals with heels
    1 pair of flat sandals
    One pair pajamas
    Makeup (blush, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick – I skip eyeliner b/c it runs
    and skip foundation b/c it’s too heavy in the heat)
    Vacation jewelry

For Kev:
    2 pairs of shorts
    1 pair long pants
    2 polo shirts
    2 Hawaiian-style shirts
    4 swimsuits
    1 pair running shorts
    2 t-shirts
    Socks & underwear
    1 pair of sandals
    1 pair of shoes appropriate for Otaheite
    Pajamas

Other Stuff:
    Pens (for Immigration and Customs forms)
    Books – I have a Kindle, so I just dowload books to that—it saves room
    Ipods & earphones
    Camera
    Cell phones
    Phone and iPod chargers
    Hairbrush & comb
    Toothbrushes
    Travel size water pick
    Travel size sound machine
    Electric shaver
    Sunglasses
    2 1-gallon Ziplock bags (for wet swimsuits when you pack up to return home) (they
    also have 2-gallon bags if you prefer)

2 1-quart baggies of liquids:

Sunblock (six tubes of 3-ounce sunblock fit in one one-quart baggie)
    Makeup remover, moisturizer, top coat nail polish, toothpaste, hair conditioner.

We buy things like shampoo & conditioner, after-sun lotion, additional sunblock, and any other things we might need from the sundries store. It’s more expensive to buy it at the resort than at home (although with some airlines now charging for checked bags, maybe not), but it’s worth it to us. Always make sure you bring a few tubes of sunblock and at least a little hair conditioner with you. One year CN was out of all sunblock with an SPF higher than 8, and at CSS this past August, they had NO hair conditioner.

We pack very little but have never needed more than this. We spend most of our time in our swimsuits, so we only wear an outfit for an hour or two at a time and don’t mind wearing shorts, tops, sundresses, etc., more than once.

Most people tend to overpack and don’t wear half of what they bring. One woman on the MB packed an entire suitcase just with shoes. I bring flat sandals that will go with the daytime outfits I’ve packed and sandals for the evening that I can wear with all three sundresses. Sometimes it’s difficult to select exactly what to bring b/c I’m always buying things thinking, “Oh, this would be so great to wear in Jamaica,” but you’ll be glad if you’re able to pack only what you need.

Let me know if you have any questions: pamelaboland at optonline dot net.
    wow most impressive post yet !! atta girl pamela nice job

Thanks so much! I am kinda a tom boy so i dont wear much make up, if any and my hair is long and thick so, no worries there. I am going to relax so, I dont care much how I look as long as I am having fun. maybe at dinner I will drab up a bit. I can do without most of the things that I need for the convience of taking a carry-on. Thanks so much pamela, your post was just right for me. cant wait! p.s I dont drink alcohol so not really thinkin that i will be taking any home but, who knows there is a first time for everything. thanks everyone!

We have always brought a carry on and a checked bag for each of us. But our next trip to CSA we plan to cut that to the carry on bags and one checked bag that we will share. I don't think it will be a problem, we have managed to reduce our packing on each trip, this will be our fourth, and I think mrs. dirtleg has finally come to the realization that she does not need half her closet for a 7 night stay.

Good list. Just what I have been looking for. Now, to keep Linda to this list!!

Wow, awesome list, just what I was looking for! Thank you!

If you have prescriptions, those can go in their own separate quart-sized bag so that will save you some space.

We're away for 18 days (St Lucia 10 days then CSA for 8) the problem is the internal (Carribean)flights don't allow much luggage, we paid a surcharge last time, so have to be really careful what we pack.