Thread: Credit or Debit

Default Credit or Debit

In the past, we have used our bank debit card upon checking in at couples negril. I have been told by someone who recently returned from swept away that they only accept credit cards. also, no cash is accepting in the gift shop. i will be returning to couples negril in 44 days. Does this policy apply. Credit cards only??????

If your debit card is a "VISA" or such, they'll process it like a credit card (meaning they'll run it and put a "hold" on the account for the $300 for your stay until they finalize your bill at the end).

As a caution, do recognize that this "hold" will mean that the amount held is unavailable in your checking account until the hold is released, which means you might bounce some checks or such if you're playing things too tight.

I checked into CSA three days ago and they were unable to process a debit card. Another couple who checked in with us did not have a credit card. They were told not to make any phone calls or purchase anything in the gift shops. I'm sure they don't prefer this, but I don't think they are going to make you leave either!

We don't use the household account for the trip, so no problem with bouncing checks. We don't want to come home with any credit card bills, so we put a specific amount in this account to be used for the charges such as "spa treatments"! I can't wait to get the couples massage in the treehouse. Thanks for the info.

From the FAQ:

When you check in, the front desk will place a $300 hold on your charge or debit card to cover incidentals (phone calls, gift shop and Spa charges). If you do not charge anything to your room then nothing is actually put onto your card.

They accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

So the card must be a Visa or MasterCard Debit Bank card. (I have never seen a American Express, or Discover debit bank card, but if they make one, they would take it too).

Also, when you check out, you can settle your account with cash. You just can not use cash at the gift shops or spa. They went cash free.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    In the past, we have used our bank debit card upon checking in at couples negril. I have been told by someone who recently returned from swept away that they only accept credit cards. also, no cash is accepting in the gift shop. i will be returning to couples negril in 44 days. Does this policy apply. Credit cards only??????
    Gift shop purchases were signed to our room. I'm pretty sure you can pay cash instead of having the charges applied to your credit card when you settle your account at the front desk.

Just looking at this, we are going to CN in April 2010, I have never heard of leaving a credit card number at the front desk. Can you tell me if we do the couples massage can we pay cash. We don't normally bring our credit cards, that way we know what we have spent no surprises when the bill goes in.

I spoke to couples today 10-16 and asked about the policy. They have moved to a no cash policy but, not the way that most people have stated. No, cash at the gift shops. No cash at the spa. Can use credit-cards anywhere. can charge things to your room and then settle up with the cashier at the end of your stay in cash. They will accept debit cards however, they are having problems with some banks not accepting them because they wont work internationally. So, check your bank before you come. That is how it was explained to me.

Thanks for the update Goodygirl, I'll check with my bank and see about the international use. Never thought of that! Nice to know ahead of time, thanks again!