Default How difficult is parasailing?

MY STBH had back surgery (spinal fusion) Aug. 31. He is still quite sore, but the docs say he should be good to enjoy a Jamaican honeymoon. However, they've suggested he avoid rigorous activities, such as ATVs or horseback riding. We can't decide if this should include parasailing, something I really want to experience. For a picture, it looks like it might gently pull you off the boat. Will someone who has partaken of this activity confirm?

If it's too rough for him, I'm still going but it won't be as much fun.

They harness you in, similar to a beefed up version of flying swings at your local amusement park. It's not strenuous at all... they reel you in like fish when you're done. At CN it was a two person harness/seat. It's actually a very peaceful and serene 10-12 minutes. Enjoy !

Sarah & Robert

I agree, just hang on and fly with the birds!

I google parasiling and back injuries and most sites had this statement on them.

Anyone with neck or back injuries, a history of back problems, or pregnant women are not allowed to parasail.

Be safe and call your doctor and check with them, you do not want to injure your back before it is 100% healed. Being up in the air is not the problem, it is the take off and landing that could be bad.

Sorry for the downer, I just want you two to enjoy your honeymoon/vacation and not be in pain.
    Irie Mon

first of all i would pose this question to his doctor. do be aware that getting to the parasail boat can involve a transfer via a small boat that usually goes pretty fast out to meet the main boat and wave crashing could be an issue. there would be the transfer from the small boat in open ocean and then back for the return.

not trying to be a downer, just trying to let you know all that may be involved.we have done it and really enjoyed it. i just want you both to have a safe and happy experience.

Randy

Not something I had thought about, but sounding pretty cool.

We loved it, felt safe and it was very memorable! We're in our 60's!!!

As a Physician Assistant that works with an orthopaedic spine surgeon, I would not recommend parasailing. The activity itself is probably fine, but as the previous post stated the takeoff, landing, and the boat ride out there could be rough.
    Now with that being said, how far out from surgery will he be before you go to Jamaica? If it's been a few months, it might be ok but I would definitely recommend talking with your surgeon about that activity first. We usually don't even recommend golfing for a few months because of the risk of getting a divet.

Now with that being said, how far out from surgery will he be before you go to Jamaica? If it's been a few months, it might be ok but I would definitely recommend talking with your surgeon about that activity first. We usually don't even recommend golfing for a few months because of the risk of getting a divet.

.....That was what I would think. Linda had a similar operation on her neck; 3 discs. Her doctor OKed her for motorcycle riding a few months after the surgery, but with a neck brace. But all cases are different.

Thanks for the info.

He has a follow up visiting a few days before we leave, so we will, of course, be checking with him as well. He had surgery August 31, and we leave Dec. 8 for Jamaica!

We've been dealing with his back problems for more than a year, so I will be staying firmly on the safe side of things until I know for sure he is healed. Looks like it will be parasailing for one. Oh well. Next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
    Thanks for the info.

He has a follow up visiting a few days before we leave, so we will, of course, be checking with him as well. He had surgery August 31, and we leave Dec. 8 for Jamaica!

We've been dealing with his back problems for more than a year, so I will be staying firmly on the safe side of things until I know for sure he is healed. Looks like it will be parasailing for one. Oh well. Next time!
    I would skip it and just relax on the beach instead. Of course, I skip everything and just sit on the beach, and I am a very active person.

Pixel...although what everybody has said about it normally being a very peaceful, serene, and memorable experience, I think "normally" would be the key word. Something can always happen when you involve boats, water and "equipment" and most people w/ a healthy back could withstand a minor mishap (whether it's human or equipment error) just fine. I've gone by taking off from the beach and from a boat and taking off and leaving from a boat platform versus the beach is by far the easiest on your body. I'd talk to his Doc like everybody else said but if he's 100% healed, I'd say at thta point it's no more hazardous than walking across the street or hopping in a hammock Good luck and enjoy the view....it's gorgeous up there! - Dino

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
    Thanks for the info.

.....Safe side is good. His doctor will know what's best. In the mean time, here's hoping for his speedy recovery.