Default No more crazy Roaming charges while in jamaica.

I know its supposed to be a Vacation, but if like me you just cant be without your phone or Blackberry. Digicel offer a great pre paid service that you can order from the US or UK. We used a company called "Mrsimcard" wwww.mrsimcard.com
    We ordered 2 Digicel pre paid sim cards with $15 US on each for $69 including fast delivery. On our last trip to Couples Negril over last New year, my roaming bill with ATT was $800 so this is a much better deal and we have local "876" numbers for the duration. Digicel also offer Blackberry service for all your email etc in 7, 14, or 30 day periods.

I know I should just turn it off and forget it, but I cant. So, if you have the Blackberry sickness to, you now have a cheaper option with no surprises when the bill arrives. You will of course need to make sure you phone is unlocked, ATT will give you the unlock code if you tell them you are traveling. My wifes Iphone cost me $20 to get unlocked from a whizkid...

If you have tmobile, you can use it to connect into any open wifi network and make a VOIP call. Pretty handy when traveling to be able to make free phone calls.

Just an FYI for anyone else with an iPhone or AT&T...

I have AT&T (an iPhone) and when I am in Jamaica, I am not charged any roaming fees. Incoming calls and texts are the same as my regular plan. However, calling and texting out are charged a rate, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's very cheap. So cheap that I didn't even notice it when I got my bill. I just called AT&T on my way to the airport and asked if I needed to do anything to use the phone in Jamaica and they only told me to turn off all of the location, data push and wireless services, unless I wanted to pay for those too. So in other words, if I wanted my phone to be just a phone.

You can also get a prepaid sim card for Lime, that is good for 12 months from MRSIMCARD

Does anyone know if you can get Justalk cards at CN? They did not have them the past 2 years we were there. If not - do they have them across the street at the small store - and do they work at CN? I remember reading a long time ago that someone bought a phone card in Jamaica and it didn't work at CN. Just curious.....

Thanks,
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post

I have AT&T (an iPhone) and when I am in Jamaica, I am not charged any roaming fees. Incoming calls and texts are the same as my regular plan. However, calling and texting out are charged a rate, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's very cheap. So cheap that I didn't even notice it when I got my bill. I just called AT&T on my way to the airport and asked if I needed to do anything to use the phone in Jamaica and they only told me to turn off all of the location, data push and wireless services, unless I wanted to pay for those too. So in other words, if I wanted my phone to be just a phone.

Not sure how you wangled that as last ime we wehre their my wife's Iphone ran up about $350 in Roaming charges. Anytime to retrieve data you will be charged roaming. Maybe you turned all your data off?

I just call AT&T and switch to international for the two weeks I am there and that keeps the costs in line.

I know people's phones are important.... but I want to challenge you guys to not use your phones. Once you step off the plane at MBJ turn your phone off. For all the important people back home, give them your email. Email them once you get to the resort to let them know your safe. Tell them to only email you if it is an emercency and that you love them and you will talk with them when you get back. Enjoy your vacation with the one you love and forget about your phone. I am not saying it is bad if you bring your phone, I am just saying challenge yourself to step back from the everyday stress and just enjoy everything around you. Hope everyone has a wonderful vacation!!!
    Brandi

As much as I would like to leave the phone at home and rise to the challenge - due to the economy - it is do a little work while I am on vacation or don't go. I will take the work while having a rum drink poolside!

Quote Originally Posted by No Roaming View Post
    Not sure how you wangled that as last ime we wehre their my wife's Iphone ran up about $350 in Roaming charges. Anytime to retrieve data you will be charged roaming. Maybe you turned all your data off?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes! $350? Yeah, you have to make sure you turn everything off so your iPhone is just a phone. In general settings, turn off the WIFI, in Network, disable the 3G and Data Roaming, and turn off the Location Services. But this is only if you don't want to surf the web or check email from your phone. You can still make calls, play games and music though.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I would love to not have the need to call anyone at all while I'm at CN!!! The problem is that we have 2 children - one of which tends to get homesick if she doesn't hear our voices every couple of days. If we didn't have that situation then the phones would definitely be left off!!!!!!!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Cutie View Post
    I know people's phones are important.... but I want to challenge you guys to not use your phones. Once you step off the plane at MBJ turn your phone off. For all the important people back home, give them your email. Email them once you get to the resort to let them know your safe. Tell them to only email you if it is an emercency and that you love them and you will talk with them when you get back. Enjoy your vacation with the one you love and forget about your phone. I am not saying it is bad if you bring your phone, I am just saying challenge yourself to step back from the everyday stress and just enjoy everything around you. Hope everyone has a wonderful vacation!!!

Would love to, but when you have children in other parts of the world at the same time (Quad biking around the Pyramids) and some very important deals going through, you have to make the best of it....I either have my Blackberry, or i don't go. If i don't work, we don't get to go to Couples, so what do you do.....it works.