Default CSA Anniversary Trip cancelled last minute

Well, I never thought it would happen, but the trip insurance sure came in handy this morning. We are supposed to be sitting at the Orlando airport waiting for our 1:30 pm to Montego Bay flight in order to begin our planned 7 night, 10th anniversary trip at CSA. Turns out my wife's grandfather is very near the end and probably only has a few hours left to live - they have turned off all medical mahcines at this point. Not much fun getting that news any "regular" day of the week, but of course it had to occur right before we left for the airport He had been ill most of the week and actually appeared to be getting better at times, but I guess he took a major downturn last night. To make matters worse he is located in upstate NY so it looks like we now need to find last minute flights up there instead of heading south to the Carribean.

The good news is that we may be able to rebook for the week of August 16th a mere 3 weeks from today. The big worry is that it puts us closer to the climatological peak of hurricane season. Has anyone else been able to rebook so soon after having to cancel? Either way it means we will have to repurchase more insurance!

Insurance saved us! I'm sorry about your situation. Everything will work out. God bless.

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

So sorry to hear that. We pretty much always buy trip insurance since one never know what life is going to throw your way. Glad you are not out the money.

My sympathies to you and your wife. No matter age or circumstance we are never really prepared to say goodbye to someone we love. So glad that you had insurance and can now plan your next adventure in a few weeks! We too will be flying out of Orlando on Aug. 16th for trip # 4 to CSA! We also opted for insurance this time due to the time of year. Got hit by Hurricane Sandy at CSS a couple of years ago...not fun.
    Hope you get through your difficult days ahead and can get back "home" soon to celebrate your 10 years together!
    Ginny

So sorry to hear that your wife's grandfather is ending his journey here on Earth. There is never a good time to lose a loved one, but losing them during your vacation time is a double whammy. Insurance is always a good buy for us as I have a beloved Father who recently celebrated his 89th birthday. Insurance eases our worries. As an example, a couple of years ago my husband needed back surgery and it had to be done before our insurance plan expired. His surgery was on Halloween and we were to have traveled in early December. Obviously we had to cancel and our many years of spending our dollars for insurance paid off. We had decided to try a vacation to Mexico that year...so I am not sure if the Couples Gods had anything to do with this or not????? The next year we returned to Jamaica and have never thought about returning to Mexico!! I am sure that your wife's grandfather will be smiling at you from Heaven.

Thanks for the warm thoughts and prayers. We are back home (NY) for the funeral. Yes we are really thankful we cancelled and opted for the insurance like everyone said so we could be here for the family. Still working on rebooking for the 16th. God bless!