Default CTI Review Oct 17-24

Two staff members need particular recognition-Colin in the dive shop who was always a pleasure to be in the water with, and Jerome, a work study student who we saw every morning at breakfast. He was a real “Johnny on the spot” type, ready with water and coffee and a cheerful “Good Morning.” Attentive and available but not overwhelming, I hope he gets a full time slot.

Travel: Delta through Atlanta, no problems with any airports or flights. MBJ was working 20+ lines at immigration when we got there. Cool and comfortable vans each way.

Room: 5508, as high and west as you can get. Had some definite advantages as it was private and very quiet at night. We also got the last bit of sun in the evening. Nice TV, very comfortable bed, looked recently painted. Negatives-the shower drain couldn’t keep up with the shower (which didn’t have overwhelming pressure/flow) so a normal duration shower would send water halfway across the bathroom floor. We asked for this to be checked and never got word if it was unfixable or just never looked at. Also, there was a rooster across the street someplace that very efficiently let us know each day was starting around six. Unfortunately the floor now looks very tired compared to everything else.

Renovations: I didn’t see anything that I wish they hadn’t done. If the goal was to preserve the essence but buff it up I think they nailed it. The Verandah and Eight Rivers both look much nicer. The same basic color palette is carried throughout all the public areas and I think flows nicely. There was a delicate hand used on the piano bar it looks great while still highlighting the history with great taste. The new pool and swim up bar were desperately needed-it seems to be THE spot for the younger crowd to gather. We usually stopped for a few minutes in the afternoon, between the Island and getting ready for dinner.

Activities: As usual we were not very busy. I dove five times and highly recommend getting certified before you go so you can take full advantage. Not much money to be saved by doing it at the resort. This was the first time the weather was highly conducive to most water sports and we also did a little time on the water trike which was nice but lots of work. We also to two very nice jaunts on the Hobbie Cats. Those were great fun and a highlight. The relocated gym is a big plus. Lots of new equipment, and the same Star-Trac treadmills as at the Y at home.

The Island: The decking has all been redone and the bathroom is about as nice as it can be with the room they have to work with. I was fine with the dock, but heard some complaints. They continue to refine it though, so we’ll see what the final result is. They closed at 4PM Wed for a party and were closing Saturday at 3PM for a wedding. Didn’t impact us but they did open at 7AM to try and even out the time. Hope this doesn’t become too common an event. With a couple exceptions I will get to later, the overall vibe was super mellow, just how we like it.

The Food: Sad to say we feel they’ve lost a step here since our visits in 05/06. All the restaurants look great, and relocated grill and added veggie bar are positive developments in general. The staff at the veggie bar was often extremely slow, even when there was nobody in line. Once they got around to serving the chips and hummus it was very tasty though, as were the olives, goat cheese, and everything else we had from there.

The hummus and olives were a nice alternative to fries with lunch, which brings me to the grill. Simple requests like “No fries please” were routinely ignored, leading to needless waste. I tried for three days to get a jerk burger made with the veggie patty instead of beef, and finally gave up after getting three different variations of something on a bun. The calamari and fried snapper were both very tasty up there.

Breakfast was always fine, with plenty of fresh fruit available.

We ate once at Bayside, twice at the Verandah, twice at Eight Rivers, and twice on the patio, once for the Saturday night buffet. The only two dinners that were memorably good were Bayside where we had some wonderful Pad Thai, and one night at the Verandah when we both had steaks that were tasty and cooked exactly as ordered. The repeater’s dinner was nice, but Friday night at Eight Rivers was a real let down. Over cooked steak, a pumpkin and a shrimp soup that were surprisingly indistinct from one another, wrong entre brought out, crab cakes nearly devoid of crab, just nothing except my wife’s duck appetizer very good.

Drinks: Neither of us are big drinkers. The wines at dinner were perfectly fine, I mostly stuck with diet cola and a little rum. Here again, the simple requests would frequently throw them for a loop, as it would usually take a few attempts to get “No Ice” right. The weird part is you’d get a nod and a hearty “Yeah Mon” right before they filled the cup with ice! Overall I just don’t think the food and beverage servers are doing a very good job of listening at the moment.

Some quick Do’s and Don’ts:
    Do try the resort scuba course if you aren’t certified. I’ve heard of some real horror shows at other resorts but Colin and Rasta will introduce you to the sport in a safe and fun atmosphere.

Don’t drink so much on Tower Isle that you spend half an hour running your mouth about your daughter, what three letter US Government organization she works for, what language she speaks and what she finds most frustrating about the job.

Do take the time to explore the resort and see all of the changes if you are a repeat guest. We were delighted with everything we found.

Don’t come out to the island if getting naked means you have to drink so much that you throw up in the boat and on the driver.

Do try the Hobbie Cat’s. They are easy to sail and great fun.

Do book a trip if you are on the fence!

Don’t expect to find a better value in a tropical vacation.

Great review. You should put on Trip Adviser also.
    Irie Mon

[QUOTE=mattnsharon;27283]

Renovations: I didn’t see anything that I wish they hadn’t done. If the goal was to preserve the essence but buff it up I think they nailed it.

The Island: The decking has all been redone and the bathroom is about as nice as it can be with the room they have to work with. I was fine with the dock, but heard some complaints. They continue to refine it though, so we’ll see what the final result is. They closed at 4PM Wed for a party and were closing Saturday at 3PM for a wedding. Didn’t impact us but they did open at 7AM to try and even out the time. Hope this doesn’t become too common an event. With a couple exceptions I will get to later, the overall vibe was super mellow, just how we like it.

Don’t drink so much on Tower Isle that you spend half an hour running your mouth about your daughter, what three letter US Government organization she works for, what language she speaks and what she finds most frustrating about the job.

Don’t come out to the island if getting naked means you have to drink so much that you throw up in the boat and on the driver.

QUOTE]

Based on your review it seems you pay to be nekkid and during your stay you weer asked to leave at 3 and 4 pm ? may i ask what if you politely said no? Seriously 3 pm you are sitting on your chair enjoying a ciagr and a cocktail and based on your review unlessi misread you were asked ot put clothes on and leave the island are you serious? Wow !!!

love the part about the puker on the boat ride over that must have given everyone a good chuckle .. maybe it was an act or rebellion for having to leave the island at 3 pm ?

what language did the daughter speak ?
    nice review still amazed about being asked to leave the island
    corect me if i am wrong but the island is the onyl place at CTI where one can be nekkid correct?

Solid review, warts and all. I always appreciate it when folks provide the whole picture. And what almost always seems to be the case, the good outweighed the not-so-good by a whole lot.

One result from your take on the restaurants for us may be that we'll have dinner once at each of the big three, then decide based on the quality/flavor of what we had, the service we experienced, the ambiance, etc.....all this will factor on where we dine for the remaining two days, being that two of the seven nights there involve the beach and poolside buffet parties as well.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Sometimes a person goes to the Island with no intention of gettting "hammered". The sun is hot, the bartender is very fast at filling up your glass, and SUDDENLY Dr Jekyl has becom Mrs Hyde. Happened to me a few years ago and I'm STILL hearing about it from Mr2cool. I'm sure there were people who found me offensive, but hey, stuff happens. I paid the price the next day and my sympathy goes out to the poor woman that paid the price this year. "You live and learn". Just my humble opinion.