Default Sorry to be a downer

Just a little background, Jim and I both work for the Postal Service and slowly but surely some of our work is being contracted out.We are tractor-trailer drivers and with the bad economy andmail volume declining at a very scary rate, our jobs are in limbo.Our contract is up Nov, 2010 and then who knows if I will have a job.Jim can retire then but would like to work for a couple more years at least.I on the other hand will only have 7.5 years in by then. There is 13 years age difference between us.
    We were married at CSA in 04 and I have been saving for trip # 5 and feel very fortunate to have visited Couples as much as we have.We also went to CSS last winter.Jim has nixed any vaca this winter as we have grown accustomed to getting out of our Minnesota winters.The older I get, the more I hate the cold.Anyway, I just hope I haven't gone to CSA for the last time!I guess it is the smart thing to pay off debt and savesave save, but that just isn't much fun. The worst part is not knowing what my job situation is as they treat us like mushrooms-Feed us #!*^%#+ and keep us in the dark! I love my job and it is the best one I have ever had.The PO is trying to trim the fat but I think they have too much fat at the top if you know what I mean.
    Thanks for letting me vent and I am saving like crazy for the future and hopefully our next trip to paradise.
    It is so much fun to read this board and the excitement from newbies and repeaters, it really keeps me going, thanks for listening,Couples really did change our lives forever.Sara

I'm sorry you won't be able to get away from the cold this winter, but it probably is a good idea to save money if your job is in jeopardy and the way the economy is. Keep a positive attitude and tighten your belt and you will be back in time.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Just think about how wonderful your next trip will be when you do have a chance to get there.

Thanks Juli, I will keep my chin up! We can't dwell about stuff we have no control of I guess.Some way, some day we will get back to CSA.

Sportygal:

I am so sorry to hear that you and your husband's jobs are in jeopardy. I can empathize with how you feel. I will keep both of you in my prayers.

It's amazing how large companies are using the down turn in the economy or to cut overhead to get rid of the people that actually deal with the public or ensure things actually happen. They never seem to use the same logic to the several top layers of management.

I am going through something similar. The company I work for implemented a cost saving measure 2 years ago. As of Sept 1 my pay is being cut by over 60%, and needless to say I can't live on that. In order to malke a decent living I am being forced to retire and go back on a post retirement contract. Between the two sources of income we will be able to get by.

I had planned on taking my wife, Wanda, to our first trip to Couples this April 2010, but that is still very much up in the air as she has been off work, due to chronic pain and awaiting hip replacement surgery, for 3 months and is on employment insurance and will not be going back to work until Feb 1/10. Her unemployment insurance runs out at the end of this month so no income from her until Feb.

I pray that God will help me through and I pray that you feel God's presence at this time of this uncertainty. You are not alone.

Barry

Barry,life is sure full of ups and downs isn't it.The hardest part is not knowing.I wish I had a little crystal ball sometimes but I might not like what I see.
    Keep your chin up too and I hope things get better for all of us.You are in my prayers also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportygal View Post
    Just a little background, Jim and I both work for the Postal Service and slowly but surely some of our work is being contracted out.We are tractor-trailer drivers and with the bad economy andmail volume declining at a very scary rate, our jobs are in limbo.Our contract is up Nov, 2010 and then who knows if I will have a job.Jim can retire then but would like to work for a couple more years at least.I on the other hand will only have 7.5 years in by then. There is 13 years age difference between us.
    We were married at CSA in 04 and I have been saving for trip # 5 and feel very fortunate to have visited Couples as much as we have.We also went to CSS last winter.Jim has nixed any vaca this winter as we have grown accustomed to getting out of our Minnesota winters.The older I get, the more I hate the cold.Anyway, I just hope I haven't gone to CSA for the last time!I guess it is the smart thing to pay off debt and savesave save, but that just isn't much fun. The worst part is not knowing what my job situation is as they treat us like mushrooms-Feed us #!*^%#+ and keep us in the dark! I love my job and it is the best one I have ever had.The PO is trying to trim the fat but I think they have too much fat at the top if you know what I mean.
    Thanks for letting me vent and I am saving like crazy for the future and hopefully our next trip to paradise.
    It is so much fun to read this board and the excitement from newbies and repeaters, it really keeps me going, thanks for listening,Couples really did change our lives forever.Sara
    Sara,
    You are going to smack me for saying this, but God has a good reason for everything.
    We too, have been spoiled and going to Couples every year for the past 6 years...and this year is the first time we're not going to make it because of finances.

IT HURTS!!! To not be able to visit paradise and spend time with our Couples family, but I know there has to be a good reason, and the next time we go - it will be all the sweeter!!!

As far as your job goes, my partner and I both lost our jobs right before Christmas with the same company - and I was so devastated because we never saw it coming....
    Guess what? It was the BEST thing that could have ever happened to me....
    God doesn't close a door without opening a window! He always has a better plan for us.
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

Thanks Jerseygirl, I also believe God does everything for a reason although I don't know how I will be better off without my job at the po.It will be tough but I cancelled the cable t.v. and phone today to save money.I would downgrade the cell phone too if I could.I just have to get out of debt as much as possible just in case.I'm glad you made it through the rough patches and you guys are doing better.

Default maybe foolish?

Sorry to hear that the "limbo" chasing us all has caught up with you folks. We're still on for Dec 12-19, but I made sure the trip ins. we bought had a "any reason" clause. When the time to go comes, and if our world changes just a little more, we'll call it and limp away with only our ins $ gone. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. We knew going into the purchase that things might not be rosey, so we're kinda prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. Then there's always the short sighted part of me that says "Heck with it, we want to go while we can still walk the beach" and go anyway.

You are not alone and the best post I've seen is the one to look forward to your next time and make the best of what hand you have now. Hope the economy treats you (and the rest of us) better soon.

Caveman, I also thought about just going for it anyway and booking also,but I would still like to be married and we just have too much other styff to pay for.Maybe I am getting a little wiser in my older age.I have not always been so wise with moneyI am praying things get better for all of us too.

I agree with making the best of what you have now, but for those of us who are Couples junkies and just can't see clear to spend the $$ to get back "home," that is small comfort. We've been going to CSA every year (mainly at T'giving) since 2000 (some years x 2). We're definitely mourning the loss of our getaway - we both have hectic lives and really appreciate this time to reconnect. I guess we'll have to just spend T'giving stateside - we'll crank up the heat, drink rumrunners and trade off who goes to get the green flag drink next. We're hoping for 2010....let's pray we're back on track as a country. But I guess we all could have it worse - there are still people begging to become citizens, and I still feel proud and very lucky to live in the best place in the world....thank god for that accident of birth!!

My father in law is also a contracted driver for the PO and his business has slowed down a lot. Our prayers are with all of you with the hope that just maybe the top fat will be cut instead of all the little guys. I worked for a company that is going through tough times and I never understood why they cut their commission sales people and sales assistants but wouldn't cut the managers (they had 1 manager for every 2 people). Good luck sportygal......hope you make it home soon!