Default Questions from a newby

My husband and I will be celebrating our honeymoon at the CN in January. I've read lots of review suggesting that there is no need to leave the resort. Since this will be our first time at CN and in Jamaica. We would like to visit the Dunns River Falls and do other excursions that aren't offered at the resort.

Any local eaterys we can visit thats off the resort? If so, what's the safest way to go about.

Do you recommend any tour companies to use for the extra excursions such as zipline, Dunns River Falls and Horseback Riding.

Any tips or advice for us?

Lots of places to eat off the resort, ask the bellman and they will point you in the right direction. How to get to around, the safest is a taxi at night, you can walk during the day.

For tours just go to the tour desk and they will set you up.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by JR&Jojo View Post
    My husband and I will be celebrating our honeymoon at the CN in January. I've read lots of review suggesting that there is no need to leave the resort. Since this will be our first time at CN and in Jamaica. We would like to visit the Dunns River Falls and do other excursions that aren't offered at the resort.

Any local eaterys we can visit thats off the resort? If so, what's the safest way to go about.

Do you recommend any tour companies to use for the extra excursions such as zipline, Dunns River Falls and Horseback Riding.

Any tips or advice for us?
    if you are going to CN i would focus on picking up the locval negril vibe
    Dunns river is in ochi and minimally a 4-5 hour roundtrip car ride. i would check out negril . com there are many very good romnatic resturants in the cliffs ( west end) as well as some cool mom and pop places to grab a bite a red stripe and drink in the locals. CN is a great place however those who do not venture out and sample some of the local vibe are missing the negril experience. enjoy

CN is in Negril and Dunn's River Falls is in Ocho Rios. They are about 3 1/2 hours a part. IMHO that is a bit to far to travel 7 hours to walk up a waterfall. There are many other offsite attractions that are about an hour or less from Negril such as the cliff divers @ Rick's Cafe, two waterfall attractions and the black river safari where you have a close encouinter with live croc's

If you are staying at CN, I wouldn't do Dunns; it's on the other side of the island. I don't know that it's even offered from the Negril resorts. The tour desk at the hotel will have a whole list of available tours you can purchase.

People aren't allowed to recommend touring companies on the board. Some have favorites and will probably ask that you email them for the info.

Instead of Dunn's River, you could go to YS Falls. I believe Mayfield Falls is on the Negril side as well, but I could be wrong.

Hiya Guys!!!! You will love CN,best beach around.
    Dunns River??????? Dont do it my friend,toooo farrrr!! do YS falls with the Pelican Bar stop!!! Look it up on this board,you can find all the info you need here!

Get a cab and go to dinner at the Rockhouse on the cliffs of Negril! Try Xtabi down the road,also cliffside!!!!! Normas on the beach at 7 Mile!!!
    Get the guy with the bananna boat ride and pay him like 20 bucks each way to take you to the 7 mile beach and drop you off there for like 2/3 hours and shop there and get some drinks,then he comes back and that is your transportation,the hot dog blow up ride thing?????? oh yeah dont spill your drink!!!! trust me ,it works!!

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful. Guess I don't have to worry much till I get there. Did not know there was a tour desk.

I have to say that once you are at CN you won't feel the need to leave. We have also talked about going off the resort but the place is so wonderful, you don't want to leave.

Fred Stripe, LOVE the banana boat ride idea! Ill have to try that!

I'll be on honeymoon at CN (first timer) in january as well and have already been to Dunn's River Falls once (long time ago cruise ship daystop sidetour)...I plan to go to YS/Mayfield Falls this time around though. We're doing a full day outing that will include a Black River Safari excursion, a stop at YS/Mayfield Falls (I hear there's a zipline there also?), and ending up with a stop at the Appleton Rum Estate (rum distillery). Rum tasting should be a great way to finish the day off before the ride back to CN for a good night's sleep. I can't wait!

Dunns is too far as you have read by now from Negril, but you have the option of Mayfield Falls or YS Falls which are both beautiful. I would also suggest a trip to Rick's Cafe famous for their cliffdivers and sunsets, and you can dive too if you like from various heights. (We safely skipped that part and watched the pro's) which is about a 20 min cab ride from CN.

Didn't have such a great experience with the banana boat in Hawaii but wouldn't mind if it was just a short ride to get to some shopping and eatery's.

Trying to convince hubby that everyone's saying Dunn's too far!

Not sure if this is just me, I think I caught the JAMAICA bug. I'm dreaming about my trip to CN every night. Hubby and I have the Bob Marley One Love (Jamaica commercial) stuck in our heads.