Default Are we missing the LOBSTER??

We are going to be at CN next spring, arriving April 8th, and now that I look at the restaurant events, it shows lobster at every restaurant on Friday, when in season, July 1 - Mar 31. Are we really missing lobster by a week?? Has anyone been there in April and what did they serve instead??

No lobster for April, but lots of other wonderful seafood items.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We'll be arriving @ CN on April 8th too - our 9th time. May be able to find lobster at the Office of Nature or one of the restaraunts on the West end of Negril which we have done before.We have friends who'll check for us when we arrive. Maybe we could share a cab??? We can usually be found at the pool bar in the afternoons. Hubby usually wears a Matt Kenseth #17 DeWalt (Nascar) hat or ask one of the bartenders (Tennyson, Carrie, Marlon,Franklin,Ivylynn) to point us out.

Mike & Jean

Quote Originally Posted by mjd View Post
    We'll be arriving @ CN on April 8th too - our 9th time. May be able to find lobster at the Office of Nature or one of the restaraunts on the West end of Negril which we have done before.We have friends who'll check for us when we arrive. Maybe we could share a cab??? We can usually be found at the pool bar in the afternoons. Hubby usually wears a Matt Kenseth #17 DeWalt (Nascar) hat or ask one of the bartenders (Tennyson, Carrie, Marlon,Franklin,Ivylynn) to point us out.

Mike & Jean
    I would strongly suggest that the lobster laws be respected!!
    Bloody bay has been butchered by the over building in the past 10years. Patronizing anyone who is serving lobster out of season is promoting the demise of negril's marine cycles. Folks if you want lobster go when it is in season. Chances are if a restaurant does offer post april lobster it will be frozen caught/before the cutoff. Net net net respect the JA law if so many people are hyper critical about shoes to wear to dinner i am sure you can also see the importance of respecting the law.
    Do a lil research on why there are black out dates for legal lobster and i am sure you will change how you may have felt before.

No fresh lobster, maybe you can find frozen.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by beachlover747 View Post
    We are going to be at CN next spring, arriving April 8th, and now that I look at the restaurant events, it shows lobster at every restaurant on Friday, when in season, July 1 - Mar 31. Are we really missing lobster by a week?? Has anyone been there in April and what did they serve instead??
    Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    I would strongly suggest that the lobster laws be respected!!Bloody bay has been butchered by the over building in the past 10years. Patronizing anyone who is serving lobster out of season is promoting the demise of negril's marine cycles. Folks if you want lobster go when it is in season. Chances are if a restaurant does offer post april lobster it will be frozen caught/before the cutoff. Net net net respect the JA law if so many people are hyper critical about shoes to wear to dinner i am sure you can also see the importance of respecting the law.
    Do a lil research on why there are black out dates for legal lobster and i am sure you will change how you may have felt before.
    I heartily concur with Steve's opinion (altho his continued obsession with shoes and its context to this thread is baffling to say the least). But maybe we should put this in perspective. If you booked your trip just two weeks earlier, you could enjoy lobster to your heart's content. You didn't state your length of stay or room category, but let's assume you booked for a week and are staying in a Deluxe Ocean. Booking two weeks earlier would have added an additional cost of $103 per day or $721 extra for the trip. Something tells me you've already factored this cost differential before booking. I know Rosa and I did and it's why we waited until after April 3rd for our stay.

I suggest that a couple of days before you embark on your wonderful vacation you indulge in a nice lobster dinner at a top of the line seafood restaurant. The dinner may set you back more than $100 for the two of you, but you'll still come out ahead financially. This way you can kind of have your cake and eat it too. Plus from what most folks say in here and what I've read elsewhere, Caribbean lobster isn't quite up to par with it's north Atlantic cousin. So you're really coming out ahead in more ways than one.

And just so you know, this is exactly what we're planning to do before our trip. I fully intend to practice what I preach.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    I would strongly suggest that the lobster laws be respected!!
    Bloody bay has been butchered by the over building in the past 10years. Patronizing anyone who is serving lobster out of season is promoting the demise of negril's marine cycles. Folks if you want lobster go when it is in season. Chances are if a restaurant does offer post april lobster it will be frozen caught/before the cutoff. Net net net respect the JA law if so many people are hyper critical about shoes to wear to dinner i am sure you can also see the importance of respecting the law.
    I couldn't agree more.

Lobster night really isn't a big deal. Lobster is simply one of several entrees offered at each of the CN restaurants except Lychee. You won't miss it.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Default Sorry to cause such a reaction

Wow, didn't mean to try and break any laws, just asking a question. I assumed the lobster was frozen anyway, that's the only way I get it where I live. And the lobster isn't WHY we go on vacation, I just heard on here how good it was, so was sorry we were missing it. I make a mean lobster tail at home, so I don't need to go out beforehand and eat it, just thought it would be nice since it's our anniversary while we're there. But if it's illegal of COURSE we won't have it. Anyway, Mike and Jean, we'll see you at the swim up bar, it will be nice to meet someone friendly!

I live in NH and can honestly say that the lobster in Jamaica it more tender and sweeter than what we get up here. Ours is still good, but Jamaica is better!

beachlover747

Neither did I. As a matter of fact, I don't eat lobster or most other seafood but have been to CN when others were disappointed when they realized they weren't able to get lobster at the resort.Just letting you know that there may be options.
    I'm sure we'll meet up. Enjoy your anniversary. We spent our 25th and 30th anniversaries @ CN.

Jean

Quote Originally Posted by beachlover747 View Post
    Wow, didn't mean to try and break any laws, just asking a question. I assumed the lobster was frozen anyway, that's the only way I get it where I live. And the lobster isn't WHY we go on vacation, I just heard on here how good it was, so was sorry we were missing it. I make a mean lobster tail at home, so I don't need to go out beforehand and eat it, just thought it would be nice since it's our anniversary while we're there. But if it's illegal of COURSE we won't have it. Anyway, Mike and Jean, we'll see you at the swim up bar, it will be nice to meet someone friendly!
    Judging by your response, I'm guessing you took most of the replies in here as a personal attack or stern lecture. Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for the others, but I really don't think anyone was advising from a negative standpoint, it was more of a chiming in that there's a good reason for the moritorium, and we were simply offering alternatives to help minimize the impact of not having any during your stay. I never thought you were basing your stay on whether or not there will be lobster. That would indeed seem to be a bit extreme if that was the primary reason to book a vacation. But then again as I always say, to each one's own.

I personally still like my idea and as previously mentioned, will practice what I preached. Rosa and I intend to enjoy a nice lobster dinner on one of the days leading up to our departure. We'll kind of approach it as a funky (and tasty) way to kickstart the trip.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.