Default Just a thought-what do you think?

As I read the post concerning the great work that has been done by the medical mission to Jamaica, I was struck with an idea. I really haven't even taken the time to find out if its feasible. I'm just casting it out there.
    I remarked to Syl that I wished that I could go to Jamaica for a week or so and volunteer time and energy. It occurred to me that there may be others out there who had similar ideas on helping out the medical team and the kids. Like doing a lot of the "grunt" work that goes along with a mission this size.
    Am I chasing windmills? Does this strike a cord with anyone? I realize there are many obstacles to overcome. Maybe it's just the windy, rainy, lousy day here in Medford, Ma. I'm still curious as to what others may think. This won't be the first off the wall idea that gets slammed dunked.

Richie

Not a bad idea at all. There are many avenues to doing this. Our church is in the early planning stages of a mission trip to Jamaica next June. We are working with a group called CSI Ministries, Inc (Christian Service International). They have projects to build houses and do work with the kids and older adults. There is a lot of need in the rural parts of Jamaica.

It would also be cool to be able to work with the Couples Foundation to help with their mission project.

Crabracer

Your heart is in the right place Richie but I think you might find that most of those on the medical missions are within the medical professions.

My dentist goes to South America every year doing a similar mission and I keep putting the bug in his ear to consider Jamaica and look into the ISSA Foundation. If anything I'll bend his arm to donate a box of toothbrushes to donate to the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    As I read the post concerning the great work that has been done by the medical mission to Jamaica, I was struck with an idea. I really haven't even taken the time to find out if its feasible. I'm just casting it out there.
    I remarked to Syl that I wished that I could go to Jamaica for a week or so and volunteer time and energy. It occurred to me that there may be others out there who had similar ideas on helping out the medical team and the kids. Like doing a lot of the "grunt" work that goes along with a mission this size.
    Am I chasing windmills? Does this strike a cord with anyone? I realize there are many obstacles to overcome. Maybe it's just the windy, rainy, lousy day here in Medford, Ma. I'm still curious as to what others may think. This won't be the first off the wall idea that gets slammed dunked.

Richie
    Crabracer i think you raise an excellent post. Windmills not at all however i am curious how many people on this board which is a Small % of those who go to Couples actually take in JA when on holiday. We save up to enjoy 5-15 days in paradise.
    Seriously i wonder how many folks who have been to a couples resort a few times have go out on their own and met with the local folks. My point is unless you have a directly applicable skills- medical,builder/ mechanic with modern tools ( which is not resonable for a week) the best thing we can do to help is to go out and spend our money in town with local merchants.
    The velocity of money is a powerful concept, capital infusion + velocity is a great combo. I pose this question to those who agree with the OP's sentiment

How many folks on the board would be willing to give up 1 nights stay at Couples and spend said money within the local enterprise.

Does it count if I played doctor ? No, I didn't think so. No, I was thinking more along the lines of "what ever else needs to be done". But perhaps you are right Jim about the medical mission, there may be no need for that much assistance. I am basically looking to volunteer some time and energy to do whatever. I thought if a group of us could get together and spend maybe a week or ten days, maybe in helping to build, or renovate. We could bring our skills as woodworkers, electricians, plumbing, or any of the trades that could assist a family or even a town.
    I realize that there a lot of things to work out, but if there is enough interest, anything is possible.

I'll see what transpires.

Richie

The toothbrush thing is a great idea... I might shoot an email to my dentist right now.. I'm sure I can find some space to bring something like that down with me.

Unfortunately, the mission idea is one that strikes chords, sometimes in a negative manner for people. I'm all about habitat for humanity, medical missions, and those types of things, but a lot of times faith based missions fueled by religion, carry with it a hefty load of politics and religious beliefs that I bet may be unwarranted by some of the locals.

Steverandlinda You are absolutly right. Money is a very powerful tool. And I know that what ever I, or anyone else may donate to the Issa Foundation, will be put to good use. But I may never see the smile on a young persons face, or hear about the new addition they were able to add to a school. I would much rather be there and work. side by side with real people. That's what I'm looking to do.

As for giving up a day at Couples. Imagine if everyone did give up a day. Couples would surely be a loser. No, I won't give up a day, but I'll make sure to spend that amount, and more, while I am there.

Richie

I am a licensed radiographer and would love to help!

And my husband is a building contractor.

Asked my dentist, they said they have a couple boxes of toothpaste that they will donate, hope that will make it through customs in my checked baggage.

While we were at CN last week,a woman I believe was a dentist donated a box of light up toothbrushes to one of the schools. I heard the children loved them!

I've been trying to get on the medical team as well. And i have 2 friends who want to help as well. Am hoping to hear from the coordinator at the start of the year to find out about next September. I know i'll be chatting with Ava at CTI in January, as she always volunteers for this, to see if she has any info.

jacksalliecat--Thanks for the tip. I too will speak with Ava while we are there.

Richie

I like the idea of participating in some sort of project. I'm not sure what good my accounting skills would be, though.

On the topic of capital infusion + velocity + toothbrushes + customs:
    Why not take some extra dollars to Jamaica, buy a box of toothbrushes from a local business and then donate them. No worries about customs, plus you spend the money in the community and help out those who may not be able to afford a toothbrush (ditto for school supples, shoes, etc.)

Matt

Matt, totally love your thinking.

Also, while I am wholly in favor of missions work lets don't forget that by vacationing at Couples resorts we are supporting the Jamaican economy. Granted it is different than a mission trip but by being guests at a resort on the island we are providing jobs for the local people and a need for whatever goods may be purchased locally. Again, I fully realize the difference between a mission trip and a vacation but there was a mention of getting off the resort and for some perhaps the getting TO the resort is all they can afford and that's supporting the local economy in a great way. Tourism is a very important part of Jamaica's economy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxon9032 View Post
    I like the idea of participating in some sort of project. I'm not sure what good my accounting skills would be, though.

On the topic of capital infusion + velocity + toothbrushes + customs:
    Why not take some extra dollars to Jamaica, buy a box of toothbrushes from a local business and then donate them. No worries about customs, plus you spend the money in the community and help out those who may not be able to afford a toothbrush (ditto for school supples, shoes, etc.)

Matt
    presto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksalliecat View Post
    I've been trying to get on the medical team as well. And i have 2 friends who want to help as well. Am hoping to hear from the coordinator at the start of the year to find out about next September. I know i'll be chatting with Ava at CTI in January, as she always volunteers for this, to see if she has any info.
    Alice, keep me posted. I'd love to participate in the medical mission.

Another idea is to bring stuff with us to donate -- I posted on another thread about checking with your airline to see if they charge to ship humanitarian supplies -- I know that Air Transat does not charge. If they don't, fill a suitcase with stuff to donate.
    Then.... going forward from Rich's idea, perhaps if a bunch of us are there at the same time, we could organize a couple of school visits with our supplies.

Default donations

We always take a large suitcase and fill it full of school supplies and otc medications to bring with us to donate. We go to the dollar store and load up on items. It doesn't have to break the bank to be able to help out the locals.

When we donate our items in Jamaica, then we have a large empty suitcase to fill up with all the items we buy at the local market in town (Ochi). the local people are wonderful and always very greatful.

It helps make our Couples vacation that much more enjoyable when we see the appreciation of those receiving the items we have brought from the US.

Marty and Joanne

Steph

I know CHOP (children's hospital of Philadelphia) runs the mission on the Ocho side and Iowa Children's does Negril. I was at the ENA Conference in early October, and got a lead from a rep from CHOP---we'll see what happens.