Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memphis Airport

Default Memphis Airport

We usually have a layover in Atlanta on our way to Jamaica, but this time we stop in Memphis. We have never stopped there and are wondering what to expect. We have a 2 hour layover on the way down, which should be plenty of time to make our flight to MJB. We stop in Atlanta on the way back with a 2 hour 45 minute layover which should be enough time, but it did take an hour to get our luggage there one time. (Actually, it took over an hour to discover that Delta had lost my bag!) Memphis is our big concern. Any surprises we should know about? Any tricks or shortcuts? Any great places to grab a bite? Thanks for any info.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I'm connecting through Memphis too... in 13 days... I've never flown through there. Am I going before you or after? I can report back. I have an hour and 40 minutes there before my flight to mbj.

We have a couple of months to wait, so you will see it before we do.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We've been through Memphis many times. It's a big enough airport, but it's not massive the way Atlanta is. Thus, the flights coming in which need to go through customs are not as numerous. I think it's pretty pleasant, actually - quick customs with short lines, easy to navigate, plus good barbecue available. Don't worry about Memphis - if you can do Atlanta, Memphis is a piece of cake.

We leave DTW in 1 Day 19 hours with a layover in Memphis on our way to CSS. I'll let you know how everything goes in Memphis.

My wife and I are also going through Memphis both to and from, we said just last night we should have flown out a day earlier and spent the night on Beale Street, that would certainly "prime the pump" for CSA" 37 days 'til RUM CREAM all I want...

Going thru Memphis on the way out is a breeze. I'm assuming you'll tag your bags thru to MBJ so you won't have to worry about customs except at Atlanta on the way back. Lots of good restaurants right near the gates in Memphis and the prices aren't bad. We usually grab breakfast there since our flight out of OKC is and early one. We'll be going through there on our way back to Jamaica in April and think it was better going through Memphis then when we had to go thru Detroit last year. The big thing is to remember that when you step on the plane at home everything is "no problem mon" until you step off upon return.

Enjoy your trip!

Bart & Bug

AS far as food, go to terminal B, the middle of the 3 terminals. We found a few options there.

Oops - misread your question. If you're flying on Memphis on the way down to MBJ, no big deal at all. Good BBQ, still.

Never had any issues in memphis, and they have some of the best food of any airport. There are a couple of the bbq joints that truck in smoked meat from the main restaurants to the airport.

I've flown into/through Memphis a few times. It is a great airport, and will be MUCH easier to connect through on your way down than Atlanta. It is a much smaller airport. There are a few BBQ places to eat.

I flew thru Memphis headed to LA Labor Day weekend. Terminal B. The BEST BBQ sandwich I've ever had!

the Memphis Airport is pretty easy to get around in. walking only required.

this link is an interactive map of the airport.

http://www.mscaa.com/?q=shop/map

if you smoke locate the blue note cafe. it is near the entrance to the a concourse.

Randy

Thanks for the tips about the BBQ. We arrive in Memphis at 7:30 am and leave at 9:30, so guess it's BBQ for breakfast! Not a problem as long as they're open that early.

IACouple - Any idea which joints truck in smoked meat from downtown? Are they on concourse "B"?

Well, It's 8:20 am here now and I haven't had breakfast yet. All I can think of is BBQ! Wonder where I can find some at this time of the morning in Iowa City!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Thanks for the tips about the BBQ. We arrive in Memphis at 7:30 am and leave at 9:30, so guess it's BBQ for breakfast! Not a problem as long as they're open that early.

IACouple - Any idea which joints truck in smoked meat from downtown? Are they on concourse "B"?

Well, It's 8:20 am here now and I haven't had breakfast yet. All I can think of is BBQ! Wonder where I can find some at this time of the morning in Iowa City!
    The one I found was just this tiny hole in the wall joint. But the entire airport smelled like pulled pork sandwiches.

We did the same flight out of Memphis (and will be doing it 1 month from today). There was a really good southern style breakfast joint in concourse B. I don't remember what it was, but they had great bacon egg and cheese sandwiches on fresh made biscuits. That might work better for breakfast.

Although on our first trip to Jamaica, I got a beef brisket sandwich memphis style at 8:30 AM before our flight, it was great. Filled my belly up and I slept the entire way to Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    I've flown into/through Memphis a few times. It is a great airport, and will be MUCH easier to connect through on your way down than Atlanta. It is a much smaller airport. There are a few BBQ places to eat.
    ....OK, that's interesting. We're going OUT from Memphis, and have to connect at Atlanta!!

I'm a little lost that you people are connecting in Atlanta for your flight to Montego Bay... I'm flying Milwaukee - Memphis - MBJ on NWA, now Delta.

We flew in and out of Memphis with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
    I'm a little lost that you people are connecting in Atlanta for your flight to Montego Bay... I'm flying Milwaukee - Memphis - MBJ on NWA, now Delta.
    In March we flew Moline, IL - Atlanta - Montego Bay and just the reverse on the way back on Delta. This time we have a Northwest leg (owned by Delta) on the way down: Moline - Memphis - Montego Bay, and the same Delta flight through Atlanta on the way back.
    [

We've flown MKE through Memphis to MBJ a number of times.... very smooth on the way down. We normally grab coffee and muffins on the way. Last couple of times we've gone through DTW.

Coming back, we've been through Tampa (long ago), once through ORD (because of weather & EQ issues on NWA), but mostly through Memphis. I can't say I've ever had issues with speed of immigration and customs coming home. Just need to be sure your booking engine or your TA provide enough time (hint... 3/4 hr ain't enough).

This happened to me once for work in Mexico... my TA didn't provide me enough clear time for this and the gate door was slammed in my face. My fault for not noticing, but I was NOT happy with my TA.

Home from Memphis is generally through MSP, so we eat on the plane and a snack there before heading home to GreenBay or Appleton....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Default Memphis "Smoke"

Is there any "smoking" areas in Memphis? Our direct flight got changed to a layover in Memphis (both coming and going) Not a huge set back espeically if there is a smoking area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Home from Memphis is generally through MSP, so we eat on the plane and a snack there before heading home to GreenBay or Appleton....
    You in that area? I work in Neenah, live in Oshkosh/Omro.

Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
    ....It was an additional $50 each for a direct flight out of Memphis. My daugter did the arrangemnets with this.
    Last edited by acranger; October 31st, 2009 at 08:18 AM.

Thank you all for this information exchange! This is all great info about the Memphis AP. We'll look forward to grabbing some quick BBQ, if possible. Weirdly enough, this will be our 1st trip to JA w/o being on a charter flight(flying from Milwaukee or Chicago), so it's a little adventure for us. 4 weeks from right now, we'll be either in the air or moving through the Memphis AP switching planes and then arriving in MoBay, heading home to CSA. Happpy dance! Happy Halloween everyone! Razzl

Default Bar-B-Q

Quote Originally Posted by razzledazzle View Post
    Thank you all for this information exchange! This is all great info about the Memphis AP. We'll look forward to grabbing some quick BBQ, if possible. Weirdly enough, this will be our 1st trip to JA w/o being on a charter flight(flying from Milwaukee or Chicago), so it's a little adventure for us. 4 weeks from right now, we'll be either in the air or moving through the Memphis AP switching planes and then arriving in MoBay, heading home to CSA. Happy dance! Happy Halloween everyone! Razzl
    ....Memphis Airport is very safe. For Bar-B-Q, you can't go wrong with either "Interstate" or "Corky's". The Linc below SHOULD take you to a list of the restaurants at the airport;

http://www.memphisairport.org/?q=shop/dining

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast