Default My "Come Back to Jamaica" Jug :)

I've been reading some of the other posts, you know, the ones regarding the tough financial times that alot of us are having right now.

Kel and I too, are having tough financial times, and won't be able to make it "home" this year. But that hasn't stopped me from saving for next year!!!

I have always used an old, glass water jug - with a big, beautifully colored sign on it, that says "Come back to Jamaica" on it!
    I am still putting every bit of change that I have at the end of the day or week in my jug. Some days it's just maybe a few pennies - and some days it can be a few dollars - if it's a good day, maybe five dollars goes into my Jamaica Jug.

I look at it this way...I still have HOPE that we'll make it back home next year, AND we'll have even more next time, because there will be TWO years of saving there instead of just one!

I'm wondering what other "tool" everyone may be using to fund their trip back home?! Any other suggestions? Does anyone else use a Jamaica Jug?

Oh, and one more REALLY IMPORTANT thing...
    I know how frustrating and scary it can be to be having money troubles - but when I begin to worry...I think about Jana, Elaine, and Rich who have gone through a FIGHT for their lives over the last few years - but are now CANCER FREE!
    And that ALWAYS brings a smile to my face and gives me a great sense of gratitude! Sometimes when we are in our own "mess" we don't really SEE what is really important.

So I guess when it comes down to it - NO WORRIES, MON - there's always next year, and we have precious friends that have fought and won a great battle - that cannot ever compare to financial trouble.
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

Jerseygirl1032
    BEAUTIFULLY SAID!! We also have a "Jamaica Jug". There are never any single dollar bills or change in our wallets - it's all in the Jug!

While it may not work for all, my wife and I booked next June on the "Love Away Plan" through Couples. We booked within two weeks after leaving CTI last June. It was $100 down and each month they debit my account for $100.00. By the time the balance comes due (45 days prior to arrival), almost half of our trip will be paid for. For us, it is a lot easier to write a check at the end for $2000 or so than it is to write it for the entire vacation.

Beautifully put!!!!!!!!!

After losing my job of 20 yrs, and sometimes feeling sorry for myself, I feel quite fortunate in so many other ways.

It all comes down to don't sweat the small stuff, and unless it has to do with the lives of those you love it is all small stuff!

Jerseygirl032
    I applaud you for your attitude. There IS always next year.
    We know only to well how financial woes can drain everything from your being. Many many years ago, we were on food stamps. Even after recovering from that period, we have really never had very much "excess" $$. Pretty much living from one paycheck to the next.
    Now after 42 years, and some very smart investing, what little money we have is making more money. My part time job just about covers our trips. We are also a lot smarter today then we were. There is something to be said for growing older.
    I can only hope that you too will find soothing answers for your present downer.
    Keep putting in your $$. It's always nice to keep a light in the window. It's sign of hope.

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Audra View Post
    While it may not work for all, my wife and I booked next June on the "Love Away Plan" through Couples. We booked within two weeks after leaving CTI last June. It was $100 down and each month they debit my account for $100.00. By the time the balance comes due (45 days prior to arrival), almost half of our trip will be paid for. For us, it is a lot easier to write a check at the end for $2000 or so than it is to write it for the entire vacation.
    =============================
    Billy, I think we're going to try the same thing as you, with the "Love Away Plan" and try to get back to CN next Nov. after Thanksgiving! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, if you'll keep yours crossed for me!!
    "Rescuing one dog will not change the world....
    But for that dog the world will be forever changed"
    God bless the rescue babies!
    http://www.AmericanBrittanyRescue.ORG

Default weekly

I booked almost 2 years out. Then i caculated how much money I would need to pay weekly, since I get paid weekly. I e-mailed couples and asked how to do this. I send them an e-mail every week and they debit my account. I then called my bank to make sure that I would not have any "international transaction fees."
    Sounds like a lot of work but well worth it, I have been paying like less than 50.00 a week and then i dont even miss the money. Brent and I also dont give christmas gifts to each other and dont eat out very often. It is so worth it to have time in paradise and just remember why we fell in love to begin with. we come back and are better partners and better parents. Good Luck, U can do it.

I agree with everything said and we will book early to pay the $100 each month instead of a large amount at the end. One of the things we are doing is to eat at home or take our lunch to work instead of eating out. It seems kind of antisocial to our friends but we remind them that we want to go "home" each year. Once we went the first time, we realized how important it is not just to have a vacation but to renew our love and commitment to each other and we value that above anything else. We work hard all year to be able to take those precious few days at Couples.......it is sooo worth the extra effort it takes to restrain from everything else. Only 36 more days and we will get to remember WHY we do this!!

Hi Jerseygirl, I'm really sad that you can't make it this year, I'd love to meet you at Couples one day! We have booked CSA for March, our first time, now I'm in remission. My hair and toenails are growing back and even though the UK is still in a recession and a trip from here costs us an arm and a leg, we are going to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary and my remission. Life is very short and I really hope that you can make it next year, keep in touch xx

We have a jug too!! Actually it is a large pretzel jug from Sam's!! All change goes in automatically. But here is our trick to filling it faster. We each have an allowance for the week, and we try as hard as we can to NOT spend the whole amount, whatever is left goes in the jug. Would LOVE to meet you and Kel someday!! Hope all is well with you both. Keep your chin up, soon you will be home again.
    Kristen