Default Couples lounge-Drink Options

We can't wait! Only 100 days to go to CN.!!

Can anyone tell me what else is available besides Red Stripes in the Couples Lounge. My wife is not a beer drinker. Do they have wine coolers or fruit drinks?

Also is there anything to snack on?

I have heard the bus will stop half way to CN. Do the offer any snacks at the halfway point?

R
    Last edited by rickonthebeach; July 26th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

The only beverages offered at the Couples Lounge are Red Stripe and Sodas and there are no snacks offered. I typically pack some chips or granola bars.

I have found that most of the time the drivers don't stop on the way to Negril (unless asked) since it usually only takes 1 hour and 15 - 30 minutes. It is normal to stop on the way to Ocho Rios, since it is a longer trip. If you ask the driver to stop, he will usually go to a mini-store that will offer various drinks and snacks for purchase.

From what I recall, you can get "Ting" at the lounge. It's a delightful grapefruit-ish soda pop. Yummy! And water is available also. The stop along the way is at a gas station/cafe (if you can imagine such a place) and many drinks are available. However, I do think you have to pay for them there.

Pepsi and water are also available at the lounge. There is also a little bar outside on the way to the resort. The bus will stop if you request and usually they stop somewhere that has drinks and jerk. I took Chex mix in my carry on for a snack. We didn't need it going, but ate on the trip home.
    Vicky

the lounge has water and soda in addition to red stripe. you can get a drink other than that near the Couples lounge. the food availability on the trip depends on where they stop. some places have local food and some dont. usually a bathroom break and a red stripe refill is the norm when and if you stop.

Randy

Default lounge disappointing in part

The couples lounge is a great idea and the people are friendly adn welcoming including the bartender. But I thought it curious that for an all-inclusive resort, your first contact was with a choice of red stripe for alcohol and no wine or mixed drink option. Considering half of every couple is female(usually)and women don't all enjoy beer, that there would be a wine spritzer or vodka tonic at least for them to enjoy. I always believe the first impression is important and they come off as kind of chinzy at the bar-not even some snacks are available. The good news is that by the time you end your trip, CSA was so great that you forget about the lousy lounge experience. We are fairly discriminating travelers and we found CSA to fit us perfectly in every way. Relaxing, accommodating, a bit naughty(think floats etc.)

So far both trips we have taken to couples (and 1 trip to a SC resort), you do not have time to do anything other than change, go potty, and get on the bus. I had to grab a beer on the way out last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    you forget about the lousy lounge experience.
    Wow. There's a first for everything, I suppose.

You can also get reg/diet soda. I am not sure about snacks, I don't think so, you really aren't there long enough. By the time you go to the restroom, grab maybe 1 drink, it is time to leave for the resort. If the driver does stop on the way to the resort, you will have to purchase your refreshments. I have never stopped on the way to the resort, and I am glad. I just want to get to the resort and start enjoying myself. We only have a week, and I really don't want to spend any more time traveling from the airport to the resort than I have to. Plenty to eat and drink there, and it is already paid for

Quote Originally Posted by Happytimes42 View Post
    I have never stopped on the way to the resort, and I am glad.
    If you're going to CSS/COR, you'll miss the best jerk chicken around!

I can relate to the feeling, however.
    Last edited by KrisJamie; July 28th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

I agree with Frank - it would be nice to have a cold white wine spritzer because I dont drink beer or soda. But I suppose the problem is, where would it end? Everyone would expect to have their favourite drink available. I just grab a bottle of water and wait for a lovely glass of sparkling wine once I get to the resort.

Come on, this is Jamaica, where is the bloody rum.
    Ahr!!!
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

I was surprised to even get offered the red stripe, pop or water. The competitors only offer water. I think for the very small wait you have to get on the shuttle the current selection of drinks are fine and better than most.
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The couples lounge is a great idea and the people are friendly adn welcoming including the bartender. But I thought it curious that for an all-inclusive resort, your first contact was with a choice of red stripe for alcohol and no wine or mixed drink option. Considering half of every couple is female(usually)and women don't all enjoy beer, that there would be a wine spritzer or vodka tonic at least for them to enjoy. I always believe the first impression is important and they come off as kind of chinzy at the bar-not even some snacks are available. The good news is that by the time you end your trip, CSA was so great that you forget about the lousy lounge experience. We are fairly discriminating travelers and we found CSA to fit us perfectly in every way. Relaxing, accommodating, a bit naughty(think floats etc.)

Having visited another "all inclusive" resort chain, 2 as a matter of fact, Couples does a very nice job in what they have to offer. At one, we were given a bottle of room temperature water and had to use the general public restroom and be put on a bus with people going to many different resorts. And this was a larger, more well known chain. So I am very happy with Couples has to offer in their lounge.
    Vicky

We have been to SC, S, Holiday Inn and the Couples Lounges. Couples is the best, you are offered a cold drink from friendly staff when you walk in. Some of the others give you an out of the box hot water, Pop or Red Stipe if you ask, or nothing at all. I was told that Jamaica Airport fees are low for beer and are costly for liquor and that is why it is not offered. You are only at the lounge for 5 to 30 minutes and then on the road to the resort.

Thanks for the Red Stripe and Pop for the wife. Hope to see you next July.

I'm a woman and I love beer, so be careful making broad generalizations. It'd be pretty easy to have some wine on hand, though, for those who aren't beer drinkers and who want something with a little more kick than soda or water. That said, it'd cost a lot to staff a full-service bar at the airport, and I'd rather see them put that money into the resorts. I don't think the lounge experience was bad - rather welcoming, in fact. But, to answer the original question, no, the options are beer, soda, or water.

There might be restrictions that prevent them from serving more than beer at the lounge. And for snacks you'd need cold storage, and a prep area/kitchen. Pretty soon you'd have Couples Montego Bay at the airport.

I always just get a bottle of water at the lounge because I don't need anymore soda after drinking soda on the plane & at the connecting airport where I always buy one but it would be nice if they did have some sparkling wine (champagne) at the Couples Lounge for us that don't drink beer. It's not a big deal to me though. Can't expect them to have a full bar & be mixing drinks at the airport - there's plenty of time for that once you arrive at your resort. It's all came a long way since our first times to Jamaica (before we found Couples) when we were basically sitting on the curb outside the airport waiting on our ride to the resort so a bottle of water while sitting on a soft seat in the a/c is good with me.
    Julie

We need to remember, that what goes in must come out--at some point and honestly, I prefer NOT to have to make the "potty stop" rather just get to the resort for all they have to offer. Just MHO though.
    Vicky

Just another thought, if you're that desperate for a different drink after you get off the plane, buy a mixer on the plane or in the duty free store before you leave for vacation and drink it in the Couples Lounge. I also am not a "beer drinker" and usually have had enough sodas by the time we arrive, however, I manage to make it to Couples and my awaiting Rum Punch just fine. No problems mon.
    Vicky