Thread: Bring a laptop

Default Bring a laptop

Hi - and thanks for this wonderful message board!

I was going to bring my laptop, which is my main computer, with me to CSA next week. My sister who has been going to Jamaica every year for over 20 years says NO, don't do it.

Any feedback on this question? I would hate to tempt fate and end up without my computer which has my whole life on it.

We take our laptop with us - never lock it in the safe (not sure it would fit) and don't worry about it. Back up your files before you leave and worry not.

I have always traveled with my laptop to Jamaica and always stayed at Couples and never had any issues. The in room safes will accommodate a standard size laptop if you feel you need to lock it up. The one thing I would add is that other than the trip to the resort and then back home I never touched it, absolutely the farthest thing from my mind. All the resorts have complimentary computer access if you must stay connected. My advice, for your plane ride get a book, turn up the Island tunes on your ipod and order a rum and coke then sit back relax, this is what I am doing on our trip this month, leaving the computer at home!!

My laptop is my main computer too. I never take in a plane. Nothing against or worrisome about Jamaica, I just never fly anywhere with it. The resorts have internet cafes, so I can check my email there. Don’t really need it at a Couple Resort…there’s so much to do; I don't want to waste time on the computer.
    Last edited by Wally; November 2nd, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Lynn - can't say for certain about taking it along since I haven't been there before, but I very strongly urge you if your computer has your "whole life on it", please do a complete back up of everything. (Spoken from someone who was in the computer bus and now is a photographer who does multiple backups of EVERYTHING that is of importance).

My hubby took his to CTI and while it doesn't fit in the safe, he would put it in our suitcase and lock the suitcase. The internet cafes are pretty nice at the resorts and are free with free internet. To the best of knowledge you can not get the internet unless you are in the lobby or near the cafe so it would probably not work in your room if that is what you want to do. This year he didn't take it as he didn't want to have to carry it through the airport and used the internet cafe at CTI. We were able to print from the computers and he was able to get stuff from the cp to his I-Touch.
    Vicky

Jamaica is the only that place we go that Mr2cool does NOT take his laptop. He locks his cellphone and wallet in the safe and never looks at them until we get back to the US. I use the complimentary computers at the resort to check email,but he doesn't want to know about any thing but"No problem,Mon".

I took my laptop to CN last month and I'm so glad I did! We had a great wifi signal in the room (block 6). It was too big for the safe so it just sat out all week on the table.

I bring my mini laptop with us. I say if you want to bring it do it. Mine fits in the safe so I like that but others bring ones that don't fit and it's all good. No worries.

Angie
    Kevin & Angie

No problem, just do not let it sit out out, put it away and everything will be ok. Put it in your baggage or you carry on, no reason to show off what you have.

Enjoy and have a good time.
    Irie Mon

Brought our laptop this past trip. Locked it up in the safe, but I wouldn't be worried if I didn't.

For me, having the laptop meant peace of mind because I could stay in touch with the kids. So, therefore, I could relax and enjoy knowing everything was fine.

My advise...do whatever allows you to have the best vacation ever!
    ~Lisa
    Once you choose hope, anything is possible.

I always have to bring my laptop, heck, last time there I had to do payroll LOL. I never worry about it, I leave it right on the dresser. Ours wouldn't fit in the safe anyways. Have fun!!
    Kristen

I was thinking the same thing (leave the laptop at home). Thanks for the feedback!

I'd leave the laptop at home and enjoy the peace and serenity of Couples. Couples have computers set up to use to communicate back home. We limited the emails to once a day simply enjoyed ourselves.

We always enjoy a good comedy on the plane ride home to cheer away the "blues" from leaving. I also like dumping pics off the camera regularly and sending one or two off for jealousy-inducing purposes during our stay.

You should not have any problems if you take your lap top. Just keep it out of sight when you are not using it.

As for all you data you have on it, I would go out and get a USB hard drive and back up all you data. Micro Soft has a nice program called SyncToy that allow you to keep an update backup without copying all the files every time. You could drop you lap top and it could all be gone.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by LynnHayes View Post
    Hi - and thanks for this wonderful message board!

I was going to bring my laptop, which is my main computer, with me to CSA next week. My sister who has been going to Jamaica every year for over 20 years says NO, don't do it.

Any feedback on this question? I would hate to tempt fate and end up without my computer which has my whole life on it.

I bring mine every year. I like having my own stuff, and the rooms we pick are wifi enabled, so I never have to go to the computer room...

Kinda handy when your wife takes an hour to get ready for dinner.

Ok we were thinking about bringing our laptop to be able to transfer pics onto it. We have lost some pics off cameras before and want to be able to transfer nightly. Are you able to connect flash drives camera soft ware to their computers so you can transfer them. It would make easier if the ability is there. Please advise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bonz1962 View Post
    Are you able to connect flash drives camera soft ware to their computers so you can transfer them. It would make easier if the ability is there. Please advise!!!!
    I don't think any connections can (or should) be made to public PCs.

I believe Kris & Jamie (usually Kris) is correct, at least at SweptAway. I don't recall seeing any of the PC's; they are locked up below the desks, and all that you have access to are the monitor, mouse & keyboard at each station.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"