Thread: Gifts for staff

Default Gifts for staff

Hi all! Getting more and more eager as the date draws nearer (Nov. 20th) and I've been thinking about the "no-tipping" policy on the resort and have a few questions about that. While I love not being hassled with money for the most part while I'm vacationing, I like to be able to do something for people if I feel that I receive exceptional service.

* If I use spa services, are the staff there allowed tips?
    * Is it permissible to give small gifts to the staff in general? If so, what are some things that might be easily packed, useful, and appreciated?

If you use the spa, you can and should tip. They are the only on resort staff you can tip.

Small gifts for the staff, candy, and the like and school supplies.
    Irie Mon

Put their name on the comment cards when you check out. They get profit-sharing that way.

There actually is tipping - it's built into the price of your stay. You have a way, with the comment card, to see that those who gave you outstanding service get rewarded.

Hi,
    Boy am I homesick reading the boards. We are july cti visitors. We brought school supplies and novels that I had read. The girls love the books as they are very expensive down there.
    driveindou

driveinduo...

What kind of supplies/books did you bring? We are thinking of doing that too - but have no idea what to get. Pencils? Pens? Notebooks? And novels...like any old novel? Romance or Mystery books? That type? How did you give them out? Leave them in the room? Take them to the school? Sorry for the 20 questions

I always buy a bunch of paperbacks and at the end of the trip just leave them in the room with a note that our housekeeper (name) can take these (# of books) and do with them as she pleases. That way she knows that she can keep them or just donate them to the CSA library. The last time we were there I brought some aspirin and vitamins (in sealed containers) and also left a note that our housekeeper was welcome to take them. We did this rather than give them to her directly because we very seldom saw her.

Quote Originally Posted by mt_mama View Post
    driveinduo...

How did you give them out? Leave them in the room? Take them to the school? Sorry for the 20 questions
    It's easy - take the school supplies to a school, or the front desk at the hotel, or give them to a Staff member who you become friendly with...there are all kinds of ways to be generous, Ant most everyone you meet will have kids, grandkids etc. Most Jamaicans live with their extended family.

"What kind of supplies/books did you bring? We are thinking of doing that too - but have no idea what to get. Pencils? Pens? Notebooks? And novels...like any old novel? Romance or Mystery books? That type?"

School kids needs the Basics...pencils, markers, storybooks, math books, whatever your kids take for granted - they need it.

Novels would be appreciated if they were current and relevant - not " any old novel"
    Think as you would giving a thoughtful gift to someone at home- gently used .

Thanks so much for the info! I'll be bringing whatever school supplies and a pkg of m&m's mini's Even though this is my first trip to CSS I very much like the idea of giving gifts of appreciation to the staff.

I had several paperbacks and moonpies that I carried last trip. Housekeeping wasn't impressed with the moonpies--guess it is an acquired taste Another trip I carried the glow-in-the-dark bracelets and necklaces to share. Seriously, don't take anything that you wouldn't be interested in receiving or sharing with your kids.