Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Couples

Default Bye Bye Couples

I hate to say it, but, I guess we've made our last trip to Couples. With the economy being the way it is, and the huge jump in rates at Couples, it looks as though we have to break up. This 50% off published rates, is not 50% off anything but a page on the Couples website. And, if anyone were to pay that rate, they're nuts. We've never paid over $4000 in January for a week. Now it's almost $5000 for a week in a Garden View. When times get tough rates should be cut, not jacked up. I guess Couples knows that people love their resorts and will come no matter what the cost. We've had four wonderful trips to Couples, and would love to have many more but I guess not. Thank You for the great times.

That's too bad. I felt that way a while back when trying to book a vacation. The rates had just gone up so much I couldn't justify it. But in looking around at other places, and going other places, I find that Couples is still the best deal out there.

We have to keep in mind that times aren't just tough for the individual, they are tough for companies like Couples too. I know we all like to think of it as home, but the bottom line is it is a business, not a charity organization, and it's main goal is to make a profit. When it stops making a profit, it ceases to exist, and that's no good for anyone.

You should have booked last week when the special was on. I am assuming that your price includes airfare and that has gone up a lot. We paid 343 each last year and this year we are looking at 675 each for a trip in July.
    Irie Mon

Have you checked the Hot Deals tab? It looks like the early booking rates are still available if booking Nov. 1 - Jan. 15 at least for room only. Like "jon1963" said maybe it's the airfare that has increased?

Smoo72 is SO right about this...

"I know we all like to think of it as home, but the bottom line is it is a business, not a charity organization, and it's main goal is to make a profit. When it stops making a profit, it ceases to exist, and that's no good for anyone. "

Sure, the economy is terrible and we are all dealing with that ...well, it's worse in Jamaica, and many of the Couples employees have had to take furloughs this year- some for 2 weeks at a time......but at least they still have jobs !!

It was frustrating to book this year and see the rates were up , as was airfare, but since we go at Christmas when the rates are already up we expected it somewhat....

So I guess we
    "are nuts "

Ok I am really confused because we have done a lot of research over the past month before we booked and have not found any price changes now that the sale is supposedly over. Am I missing something? We book resort here and our flights seperate is that where the difference is? If it is we always book seperate then,Or is it that the time of year we go? It's still saying that the prices are the same but don't know about other times of year as we never checked.

The deal we got for this Dec and the prices that are posted for next Dec are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bonz1962 View Post
    Ok I am really confused because we have done a lot of research over the past month before we booked and have not found any price changes now that the sale is supposedly over. Am I missing something? We book resort here and our flights seperate is that where the difference is? If it is we always book seperate then,Or is it that the time of year we go? It's still saying that the prices are the same but don't know about other times of year as we never checked.
    Same here. I got curious to see how much rates had gone up, and found that 7 nights in a Premier Ocean at CTI next April is $2590 - the exact same price as what we paid when we booked using the Love Away plan last January. I know the different properties, room categories, and season vary, but we can't find a better deal. I'm real tempted to book 2011, but I know I can't... er... shouldn't...

Well everyone, I can understand the frustration everyone feels about a) the recession and b) no apparent reduction in costs, but spare a thought for us brits, its also costs us a couple of thousand $$$$$$$ to get out there, without the UK government now putting an extra 100$ per flight tax on the top.

At the end of the day what price the best, as far as we can, we will pay up because two weeks at Couples = a smiley face throughout 2010.

Bets wishes all

Randy gave fair warning of the price increases. He also followed up on the thread by saying they would increase between 3 and 40% depending on resort, room and time of travel. They even offer the love away plan or the $400 deposit. That's why we booked for 2010 and 2011, to get the good rates. Sorry if you missed out.

We have found that the largest increase for us to be the airfare, our trip last year to couples the flights were under $400 direct from Dallas. This year they are almost double that price, we waited a bit long but never found anything lower than $600 for the direct flights. Considering it cost almost half the price of the Couples 8 day stay, booking early and not worrying about the price coming down is the best option until the airlines price themselves out of customers. As far as the prices at Couples, I have been going there for 10 years and I still cant believe the incredible value we receive for what we pay.

We went to Italy for 14 days this year and only had to pay for food, drink and trains because we used accumulated points for hotels and air. We paid a whopping $3500+ for those items so I think Couples is a real steal at the prices they charge.

Hope you find a way to get back to couples, cheers

While we have booked for next summer under the old rates, our trip for 2010 is costing about the same as our first trip in 2005. I would have to look up the exact number from '05, but I know for a fact that it is within a hundred dollars. And that is for the two of us, air included.

It seems to me that it is all about timing and scheduling in advance. I'm sure if we tried to book a trip for this coming January it would cost considerably more than what we paid for our June trip when we booked it in September.

Hang in there. I hope that you are able to return home to Jamaica again some where down the road.

I never really paid attention to the prices aside from the Premier Ocean Room at CTI and the Garden View Room at CN from the dates of 4/4/10 thru 8/15/10, being those are the two category rooms and time period for our trip. And I don't see a price change for either of those, so I'm not sure what rooms or suites have gone up for which time of the year.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I see the same thing you see KCjamerican. The last 2 years, the prices for the last week of February are about $1000 more than we've ever paid before for that same week. What's weird to me is that the prices for September to December are about what we've normally paid for February & about $1000 higher than we've paid at that time of year before also. I watch about every single day & even with FILA, etc. it's just higher no matter how far ahead I try to book. We just can't spend that much more for a week in paradise ....... especially the way things are. I know how you feel. I keep watchin' & hopin', though.
    Julie

KCjamerican
    I also thought 2008 was my last year at Couples but we got back in 2009 because we went on an all out campaign to save money and do without stuff and put back as much as we could and we did it!!! It was all well worth it.
    It was even kind of fun working on this mission. You knew what the end results would be. We're saving for next year.

We have been vacationing for the past five years, three times to Couples and have found it to be worth the money. We have received nothing buy the best, have not had to listen to the College Students, and have found that the people of Jamaica are welcoming and wonderful. I guess it is in what you want for a vacation and what you make of the week.

Yes Bazza, it is an arm and a leg from the UK, but so worth the cost of a car for 18 days in the sun!

Well I begin shopping for the next trip as soon as we return home. So, if anyone has a tip on finding a better deal, please let me know. But $3600 including air last year, to almost $5000.

I got really worried when I read this post. I was aware that the prices were going to increase but I didn't think they would jump that much. I checked today and there is no change at all for CTI or CSA for the week we are hoping to go. I guess I better talk the hubby into booking before it does!

KCjamerican -

What are the exact dates, resort and room category you are trying to book. I will look into this for you. Rates certainly may have risen due to increased demand for a specific period, particularly in February, but let me know and I'll take a look to make sure there is not a pricing error.

Couples Resorts

Yes just to support previous posts especially in the UK the prices have gone through the roof this year with prices for the overall package (flight + accom) up by 20% on what we paid last year. Couples has always been great value financially but now looks less so. We are ginving it a go again in 2010 but 2011 must be in doubt for us.

Since Susie teaaches we have to go during peak travel and often times the most costly times(between christmas and new years). This is going to be our first time to a couples resort(CSA) and from our previous times to the "S" chain we feel we are getting an AWESOME deal as far as all the inclusions, atmosphere(as written/reported by fellow boardies) and room selections. We do have to save for these trips as with 2 kids in college extra cash is sometimes hard to find----even for that 6 pack of red stripe from the local liquor store. But when all is said and done leaving Wisconsin in Dec. to go to Jamaica is well worth it and we can't wait for this trip and spend New Years in paradise.

To those in the UK, it works both ways. I would kill or die to take a trip to Europe but it would put me in the poor house. So....until I win the lottery, or start totally penny-pinching for a year or two, it will remain just a dream. Stupid weak dollar!

KCjamerican - Forgot to mention in my previous post that we also are from the Kansas City area so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Julie

Morning guys:
    We are booked for CSA Dec 2/09 for 8 nights and this will be our 3rd time to CSA in the past 4 years. We have booked the ocean verandah suites the past 2 times and the rates have remanied the same but this year, from Canada to Jamaica, our flight is about 40% LESS than prior years! So, this December, our 8 night trip will cost us about $700 less than prior years.
    I have noticed a definite increase in airfare when we travel to the US, BUT in Canada there is a lot of competition between our 2 major air carriers.
    Anyway, it's tough business for leisure travel and I believe that Couples has done a decent job in these tough economic times.
    See everyone in December:
    Winterpeg(Gary & Norine)
    CSA Dec 2-10, 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast