Thread: Tunes

Default Tunes

I have read of bringing I-Pods, CDs, and MP3 Players with favorite music to play in the room. And I take it the room does have a Radio. What about just tuning in to the local radio station?? I would think that that would be the best source for "Island Music" and the opportunity to hear the Jamaican language.

That is an option too. I also use my IPOD on the beach and to get my emails.
    Irie Mon

The CD Players had Radios, so if they are gone now....not sure about that. But there are some very good radio stations for music - no shortage of that !!

We watch a lot of local TV also- TV-J for one. It's the only reason we always book a room with a TV -

P.S. The "Jamaican language" is English

Quote Originally Posted by jon 1963 View Post
    That is an option too. I also use my IPOD on the beach and to get my emails.
    .....I really hadn't thought about music on the beach. And I think Linda will bar me from e-mails altogether while there!

I use my ipod on the beach, I kinda wish Couples had some areas where they piped some music in on the beach, it would be nice.

The resort we have been to for the last 14 years pipes in music to the beach and though it sounds like a nice idea it actually gets to be a bit annoying. If they are playing something that isn't your preference (not all reggae is the same "style") or if it repeats or if it isn't good quality sound or whatever it can be noise rather than music. We used to love getting down there in the morning before they started it up and just enjoy the peace and quiet. I agree that on the surface it sounds like a nice idea but in reality it just doesn't work and I really hope Couple's never starts.

I'm an IPod-er as well. I can only listen to "Legend" on repeat so many times (cabs, buses, etc)...

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    The resort we have been to for the last 14 years pipes in music to the beach and though it sounds like a nice idea it actually gets to be a bit annoying. If they are playing something that isn't your preference (not all reggae is the same "style") or if it repeats or if it isn't good quality sound or whatever it can be noise rather than music. We used to love getting down there in the morning before they started it up and just enjoy the peace and quiet. I agree that on the surface it sounds like a nice idea but in reality it just doesn't work and I really hope Couple's never starts.
    I have to agree with this one. No piped in music on the Couples beaches, please.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I have to agree with this one. No piped in music on the Couples beaches, please.
    From the reviews and general threads I've read regarding other resort chains in the area, I get the impression that a few of them do something similar, or at least if they're not piping music directly on the beach, they play it so loud within the property it might as well be broadcasting on the beach.

I'm with Wally and the others here. I like music as much as the next guy, but there's a time and a place for stuff like this. From all my research, which has been considerable, I've been of the opinion that Couples tends to be more sophisticated than the going resort chain. It's one of many reasons Rosa and I selected them. I'd like to see the status quo maintained.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    The CD Players had Radios, so if they are gone now....not sure about that. But there are some very good radio stations for music - no shortage of that !!

We watch a lot of local TV also- TV-J for one. It's the only reason we always book a room with a TV -

P.S. The "Jamaican language" is English
    ....Hadn't even thought about TV. I found the below linc just by Googling "Jamaican Music". Listening to top 25 from "Hot 102" right now.

http://www.reggae-vibes.com/jamtop20/jamtop20.html

TV-J is the BEST!! We love watching the Jamaican shows ad the news to see what is going on around the country.

The radio has many choices, I bring my iPhone for my own soundtrack on the beach but otherwise I turn on the radio in the room to hear what they are listening to IN Jamaica..

Is anyone else with me that there must be a radio station in JA that just plays the Bob Marley "Legend" album back to back over and over again with no commercials? Seems like every time I get in a vehicle that is what is played.. Sure some people love it but I am always the one in the front seat with the driver playing with the radio for something more up to date.. Usually the drivers love that as I am sure they get a little tired of it too, but have to do it for the people who are not as familiar with the culture. I want to hear something else though, I mean I love Bob like a messiah, even another one of his albums would be great but if you are like me and want to experience the island there is so much more to be turned on to.

hey....ACRANGER.........that was a good music link.....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    hey....ACRANGER.........that was a good music link.....thanks
    .....Thanks. I'm still sitting here, enjoying it.

Just a quick note on "the Jamaican language"...

Yes, the "official" language of Jamaica is English. No, colloquial Jamaican does not SOUND like English. It is a "mash-up", if you will, of English, French and local slang that is collectively known as Jamaican "patois".

It can be fun to decode, if you're reading it, and it is what makes the little housekeeping turndown cards so popular. I personally tune my ear to it as soon as I get off the plane.

Jamaicans who are in more direct contact and conversation with visitors will revert to "standard" English to be understood. Some Jamaicans are multilingual, speaking more than one European language and even Japanese, and their services are highly regarded at the resorts. Think about THAT the next time you have the opportunity to interact with non-English speaking folks in the US.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Just a quick note on "the Jamaican language"...

Yes, the "official" language of Jamaica is English. No, colloquial Jamaican does not SOUND like English.

.....Sorta like Southern???

Nothing like Southern at all. Their native tongue is called Patois, if you google it you may find some sites that will play it but certainly you'll find some history and word definitions. When they are speaking English they will mix in words or the accent is heavy and and the words are not clearly pronounced. The "Ya mon" you see used here is a small sample.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynchuck View Post
    When they are speaking English they will mix in words or the accent is heavy and and the words are not clearly pronounced. The "Ya mon" you see used here is a small sample.

.....Yassah, sorta lak sotharn!!