Default I'm so upset, not to mention annoyed!

Help, what should I do?

I started planning our trip to CSS over a year ago deciding the room type we'd like - one bedroom ocean suite with balcony (a large balcony and great view are very important to us).

We made our reservation, with a travel agent (the large auto association) at the beginning of March. I specifically requested the one bedroom ocean suite with balcony, and have the confirmation email from the travel agent stating that was the room type we had reserved.

Yesterday, I found out that the agent had reserved us an ocean suite (looks like they are in building "C"). I understand from the message board these doesn't have a balcony, and, appear to be located in the middle of the resort near the bars and restaurants. I know that many would like be in the center of activity, but, it's not the quiet cliffside location that we would choose.

I spend a long while on the phone with the travel agent today, and they admitted it was their fault. They contacted Couples, but CSS is fully booked November 7 - 14 so there is no chance of this error being corrected and us getting the room type we really wanted.

So what should we do? We can get a full refund (hotel, airfare and insurance) and look at another date (and this time I'll make our reservations directly with Couples). Or, we can go and risk being disappointed. I know there are no "bad" rooms, but when you've made plans, and have expectations, it's really disheartening at this stage to find this out.

Any words of wisdom for this very disappointed couple?

wow that is a tough one.....I wish I had a good answer. I will say that although the C block is closer to the activities, since the buildings are made with concrete, the only way you really hear anything is if you leave your windows open. We stayed in G block in 08 and we could hear the band and people if we left our balcony door open. The resort is small and intimate so the placement of the room is not THAT big of a deal as it might be at some larger resorts AND most people don't stay up late at CSS. The blessing might be in the amount of steps you would have to climb to get to the G block area.....just some thoughts. Good luck on your decision, I know this has to be really tough.

Are there any rooms with balconies or patios left? If there are, maybe you should pay any difference/or get money back and just switch your room category. I would try to get your travel agent to pay for the upgrade. Or, get a refund and rebook with couples. Have you check the Couples site to see if they are truly all booked? Maybe they only release a certain amount of rooms for sale thru a travel agent. I think if your heart was set on a balcony room, then you will be disappointed all week that you can't go sit outside.

Have you thought of switching resorts???? Just find a room with a balcony at any of the properties and make your agent work for you. Good luck.

I would go and enjoy myself. The truth be told you really don't spend that much time in your room anyway. And from what I can see of the pictures there is french doors that open in the bedroom to allow you to enjoy the view.

I would however, ask your travel agent to make a consession to you, a credit of some kind, upgraded airfare, massages at the resort (on the travel agent's dime) a private dinner, etc. Something that will take the sting out of not having the exact room that you would like.

I truly hate this for you two...Choosing a room,or building,is one of the perks of a vacation..Peggy and I would really miss the large balcony at CSS but we would STILL GO to CSS.

CSS's GM Pierre Battalgia and his first class staff will more than make up for the room error.
    Last edited by Tommywommy; December 16th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Take another look at the rooms on the CSS tab above. The Deluxe Ocean Suites do have balconies just not big balconies. I would be looking really hard at the rate you paid as well. The room you wanted is 2 levels up from what you got and considerably more money.

We stayed in c-3 and it was very nice.We had a verandah,obstructed view of the beach and were very impressed with the suite.It was 2 minutes to the beach and in the middle of everything.C-block isn't all bad.I don't know what catagory we had as we did the secret rendezvous but our suite was great.

Well, I say go anyway! Although, I'd be on your TA for some kind of "peace offering." They can do something to make up for it. Just don't let this little thing get you down. It could be worse, you could be staying home! Enjoy!!

nguc541, not all One bedroom ocean suites have large balconies. We stayed in on in block D last year, and the balcony was a small one. The view was great though, and D is located sort of in the middle of everything. I initially was a little disapointed with the balcony because when I looked at the picture it showed the large one, and we didn't get it. I did ask about the room category we were in and was told it was the One bedroom ocean suite. I think the description says "most" have a large balcony.

I would go anyway. Like some others said, check you priceing, and have the TA make up to you for the problem, but go any way. Like others have also said, you don't spend that much time in your room, and the restaurant has outdoor seating for breakfast. I believe you will enjoy it none-the-less.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I would however, ask your travel agent to make a consession to you, a credit of some kind, upgraded airfare, massages at the resort (on the travel agent's dime) a private dinner, etc.
    I agree, but with the added stipulation that it should be regardless of whether you go on the dates as planned or cancel for a later date. Either scenario is causing you an inconvenience, so if that agency ever wants your future business, they should at least offer some sort of peace offering as described above.

I'm going against the grain here and while not advising what you should or should not do, my take on your post is the room type and location are very important to you, and it seems accepting what was booked by your agent is not going to sit well with you one iota, that this will linger before and during your trip. I would give this a great deal of thought before committing one way or the other.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I'd say go anyway. I know it sounds like a disappointment, but maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing in disguise! While you may not have a balcony, I'm sure there will be plenty of large windows (or at least there are in the room shown on the site), and the location is really quite ideal. We have our preferences in rooms, but we know there's no guarantee, so there's always a bit of uncertainty, particularly when you book in the older part of the hotel, as the rooms were built for residential purposes and don't really have uniformity in shape or size. I think no matter what the room, you can find pros and cons.

Also don't hesitate to talk to them when you check in and explain the situation. While they may not be accepting reservations for a particular room type for the duration of your stay, it may not be the case that they are entirely booked up. Further, with people arriving and departing every day, you may be able to be accomodated on your second or third day (if you don't mind moving, which we've done, and it took about 20 minutes total).

If you do go decide to "brave it", we'll see you there!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts; here's the update to this saga...

Apparantly I had not one, but three, travel agents working on this issue today. We've ended up switching dates, we'll now be at CSS from November 28 - December 5, getting the room type we originally requested, and, we retain the spa and gift shop credits that we got when making our original booking (I had told the TA that I expected them to cover those if they were lost as this is really a new reservation). The other perk is the price remains unchanged.

The downside is now I have to reschedule a bunch of other appointments (and reset my countdown timer), but, I'm very happy that we got this figured out!

Glad to hear that it all worked out. I like to book things directly for this exact reason. My DHTB and I have a rule though when it comes to travel - Either it will be great, or we'll have a funny story to tell later on (once we've calmed down - lol). Either way, we look for the positive. Vacation is about relaxation! I hope you can do that now and enjoy!

I would seriously be upset and be looking for some sort of compensation from your agent! A balcony is a big deal at CSS we enjoyed ours so much, it would have taken away not to have had it. We sat out there at night with drinks listening to tree frogs, and in the mornings for breakfast, Ted sat out there waiting for me to finish getting ready. It is a big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by nguc54t View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts; here's the update to this saga...

Apparantly I had not one, but three, travel agents working on this issue today. We've ended up switching dates, we'll now be at CSS from November 28 - December 5, getting the room type we originally requested, and, we retain the spa and gift shop credits that we got when making our original booking (I had told the TA that I expected them to cover those if they were lost as this is really a new reservation). The other perk is the price remains unchanged.

The downside is now I have to reschedule a bunch of other appointments (and reset my countdown timer), but, I'm very happy that we got this figured out!
    You will love that room category, I think you made a very wise choice! Once you sit on that balcony at night listening to the tree frogs, you will be glad you changed things around. We actually fell asleep out there one night, coffee and continental breakfast every morning, appetizers, and wine......... you NEED that balcony!

Happy Travels,
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I would go and enjoy myself. The truth be told you really don't spend that much time in your room anyway.
    ....I have to agree. Although I haven't done this resort thing before, I have done a couple of cruises. I have learned that the success of a cruise is directly proportionate to how little time is spent in the room.

Glad to see that is all worked out.
    Kristen

Congratulations! I know you will have a fabulous time at CSS and we are right behind you....arriving on Dec. 11th.....

I say go. When you get there, tell your bellman that you want a different room. Or, talk to the person in charge of guest services. That way, you can get what you want either the next day or as soon as someone else checks out. I have requested a room change before and was accomodated the next day. Friends of ours did likewise when we were there last year and each day were shown rooms that were being checked out of and just had to pick the one they want. Good luck, be happy.