Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Traditional" Jamaican Meal

If you wanted to fix a "traditional" Jamaican meal what would you fix? I am sure it would include Jerk Chicken/Pork/Fish but what else is native to Jamaica?

Baked Yam?

Salfish and Ackee
    Rice and Peas

Proper Jerk pork - barbecued over pimento wood

My wife wanted Jerk for her birthday, so, I made Jerk Shrimp, Jamaican Meat Patties, Jerk Chicken w/Rolls, Rice and Peas, Callaloo, Sweet Potato Chips with Jalapino/Grilled Pumpkin Dip, Red Stripe, Dark and Stormies and Rum Punch. It was work but well worth it. 38 days 'til Rum Cream All I want...

Curried goat is also a traditional and special Holiday meal in Jamaica.
    Have a Happy Day!

Rice and Peas, Jerk Chicken or Brown Stewed Chicken, Fried Plaintains, Steamed or Sauteed Pak Choy (substitute spinach), and roasted breadfruit. That's a "traditional" Jamaican style meal!!

I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Smilemon View Post
    So where do I find Goat meat in the US? I don't think Hy-Vee has it!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Mmmm... I want some jerk chicken, rice & peas and a meat patty now! Thanks for making me hungry guys!

Some Hallal butcher shops carry goat meat. (if you have one in your area)

BJ's had packs of goat meat last weekend in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Hy-Vee.... you must be from Iowa also.

We are going to be at CSA in 30 days... Where can we get some traditional food off the resort? Best of the west?

Default Mmmm, goat!

The best meal I ever had wasn't in a fancy restaurant but in a little open air shack in Playa del Carmen back in the 80's before the streets were even paved. Roast leg of goat. i've never been able to find it again.

My daughter-in-law has a pet goat on her farm. I always threaten to cook it up.

I'd love to find goat on the menu when we arrive. I'm also looking forward to saltfish and ackee.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilemon View Post
    I think you mean Curry Goat ;-)

(Curried Goat isn't too far off the mark - God help you if you refer to it as Goat Curry!)

Check a Caribbean store or sometimes even a gourmet butcher will carry goat. You can also substitute lamb for the goat in the curried goat in a pinch.

Don't forget Oxtail. We had it at the repeaters dinner, it was very good. Also Lychee.

Just a quick message for Co. Juli or other Denver area Coupleholics. There is a restaurant down in LoDo called 8 Rivers that has authentic Jamaican cuisine. Very good. Its on Blake St. across the st. from the Rio Grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemonkey View Post
    I think you mean Curry Goat ;-)

(Curried Goat isn't too far off the mark - God help you if you refer to it as Goat Curry!)
    Actually I did mean Curried Goat.
    http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.c...rried_goat.htm
    Have a Happy Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Go to your local butcher shop and they should be able to get it for you. We live in MN and our local butcher shop and Festival Foods said they could get for us. My husband really enjoys curried goat when we are in JA and wants to attempt making it here at home someday. Maybe wait awhile now, cause in 42 days we can have the real thing in JA!!
    Have a Happy Day!

Which Festival Foods? I live in Waconia, MN...37 Days 'til RUM CREAM all I want, oh and Jerk Chicken and...

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Which Festival Foods? I live in Waconia, MN...37 Days 'til RUM CREAM all I want, oh and Jerk Chicken and...
    The Festival Foods in Hugo, MN or Grundhofer's Meats in Hugo.
    Have a Happy Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    My wife wanted Jerk for her birthday, so, I made Jerk Shrimp, Jamaican Meat Patties, Jerk Chicken w/Rolls, Rice and Peas, Callaloo, Sweet Potato Chips with Jalapino/Grilled Pumpkin Dip, Red Stripe, Dark and Stormies and Rum Punch. It was work but well worth it. 38 days 'til Rum Cream All I want...

Thanks to everyone for your input. Cactus, do you have any of the recipes you might share?

Love to help, see attached, this .xls extension thing is going to kill me, all my recipes are in Word. Hope this helps, 5 Fridays 'til RUM CREAM All I Want
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fried bannanas too.

GO HAWKS!!

Thanks Cactus. They all opened fine. I may be cooking for a bunch of people so I will have to scale them all up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast