Default Worried about Swine Flu

We leave next Fri (11/13) and my boyfriend is worried sick about catching the flu on the plane or in the airport. Those of you who have recently returned from Jamaica, how are you feeling? Anyone get sick with the flu either while you were there or just after you returned?

If someone on the plane has it, you will probably get it. To insure you don't get it, don't leave your house!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Me too! We are flying to Orlando this weekend and Couples in February. I’m taking airborn and lots of vitamin C hoping this keep my immune system up.

Stay healthy.

You have a better chance of catching, and dying from, the normal flu.

4 tips:
    1)Wash your hands alot
    2)Carry a hand sanitizer
    3)Don't watch the news (tons of mis-information)
    4)Have a great time!

Get the H1N1 flu shot and protect yourself. We did so I'm not as worried. Just wash your hands regularly and don't put your hands/finger in your mouth, nose or eyes. The air in a plane is better filtered than the in most offices and public places so try not to worry too much.
    Sharon "gravysgal"

That's actually not quite true, Kris, at least depending on your age and geographic location. BUT my point is not to nitpick semantics. The reason H-1-N-1 is such a concern is that it travels well in air and pretty much nobody under the age of about 65-ish has any built-up immunity. It's spreading like wildfire in a number of places in the U.S., and it's causing deaths (albeit still rare) among populations that don't normally die from flu complications.

We were hoping to get a vaccination before our trip, but that's not going to happen. Having said that, however, I do believe I've already had it, as I was sick a few weeks ago with the requisite symptoms, and it would have been very unusual for seasonal flu to be that early where I live (there was also an outbreak in our area).

I think it's okay to be concerned, but as Wally alluded to, the only way you can really ensure you don't get it is if you stay home. Planes are a great place for a virus to spread, and there's really not too much you can do about it. On the bright side, most of the cases in the U.S. (in the very unlikely event that you do contract it on the plane there) are rather short in duration, just a few days.

I think taking airborne and boosting your immune system are good preventitive measures. Also see below:

Traveling on an airplane with the threat of the H1N1 (Swine Flu) looming large is bound to make passengers nervous. The closed and contained environments of airplanes with their low cabin humidity and recirculated air make them a prime breeding ground for germs. Air travel is one of the reasons for the H1N1 (Swine flu) virus spreading from one country to another. It is possible however to take some steps on and off airplanes to minimize the risk. Here is how.

1. Wash hands often. The best way to prevent the swine flu on the ground is the best way to prevent it in the airplane too. Use warm water and rub hands vigorously for twenty seconds. Don't forget to wash between fingers and under finger nails.

2. Bring an alcohol based hand sanitizer containing at least fifty percent alcohol to use when the restrooms are busy. Travel size of course.

3. Bring antibacterial wipes, and wipe down the tray table, arm rests and other surfaces that come in contact with your body.

4. Bring your own blanket and pillow when traveling on longer flights. Airlines don't clean their blankets very often, and it is a good idea to bring a blanket even after the swine flu threat is a thing of the past.

5. Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water for the entire length of the flight. Drinking water keeps the mucus membranes in the nose and throat moist and better equipped to fight viruses and bacteria. A 2004 study published in the journal of environmental health research concluded that low humidity in an airplane cabin was the prime cause for susceptibility to common colds and the flu after air travel.

6. Use a nasal saline mist as needed to hydrate nasal tissues. The low cabin humidity makes the nasal membranes dry out quickly. Clean nostrils once a day (or more) with warm salt water to reduce the viral population.

7. Avoid alcohol, coffee, and sodas containing caffeine on the flight to prevent dehydration.

8. Turn the overhead air vent to low, and position it in front of your face. Dr. Mark Gendreau, assistant professor of emergency medicine at Tufts university says that doing so improves ventilation in your seat and may prevent viruses from landing on your face.

9. Use a mouthwash to kill germs in the mouth as an additional layer of protection. Gargle twice a day (or more) with warm salt water or mouth wash to flush out flu germs.

10. Work on strengthening immune system to fight the H1N1 virus before and after air travel by eating a nutritionally sound diet, exercising and taking a quality multivitamin.
    Boost natural immunity with foods rich in vitamin C, as well as vitamin A, vitamin D, Omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics. Zinc boosts absorption of vitamin C supplements. Vitamin D supplements have also been shown in studies to boost immunity.

Most of all. Don't worry and have a great time. We live in 2 weeks to CSA.

I don't blame you for being concerned but I wouldn't let it ruin my vacation. You probably have the same chance catching it at the supermarket as you would at the airport. If the air on the plane concerns you, why not wear a mask? Better safe than sorry- it would stink if you got it on the way there and THAT ruined your vacation. I hope you have travel insurance, that way if you do get sick (not that I think you will) you will be covered.

At first I was a bit concerned about this when we return home in March, but then I really thought about it. I live in NY and probably have better chance of being exposed here than in Jamaica. Just follow all the rules on how not to get sick (as I do in my daily life and especially anytime I travel)and try to relax while you think of us that are stuck here and would give anything to be going home right now!

Jack up your Vitamin C intake by about 500MG daily now and get your immunity going at a higher click, get some aireborne and know that if your immunity is stronger that a slight case of H1N1 may be a bad day or so, but you may be able to get outside.

The only sure fire cure for it is lots of sun and booze!! Enjoy.

Whenever I fly I always take Airbourne with me. I will buy a bottle of water once I get past security and put two Airbourne in the water and drink all of it 30 minutes before my plane takes off. I've been doing this for over 4 years and haven't gotten sick from a plane ride. I really believe in the stuff. The second I start to feel 'funny' I start taking the stuff every 3 hours and I haven't gotten a cold in several years. That stuff is amazing!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Quote Originally Posted by Mestralle View Post
    That's actually not quite true, Kris, at least depending on your age and geographic location. BUT my point is not to nitpick semantics. The reason H-1-N-1 is such a concern is that it travels well in air and pretty much nobody under the age of about 65-ish has any built-up immunity.
    Exactly right! H1N1 spreads with respiratory droplets so wearing a mask would be better protection than hand washing/sanitizing alone.

Thanks for the info Maryrnp. 1.5 days ya mon!

We traveled to SweptAway during the first wave scare of H1N1 back in May. I think everyone who's done any airline travel has been near the person who's sick, sniffly, coughing, sneezing... we carried some N90 surgical masks in our carry-ons, just in case we found ourselves near this person, which we did not.

The hand sanitizer thing is a good idea, and we must all be conscious of keeping our hands away from our mouthes and noses. These are things that we can do to minimize our risk. If the vaccine is available nearby, get it.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Sanitize yourself from the inside out. Drink a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by safetyal View Post
    Sanitize yourself from the inside out. Drink a lot!
    I agree! A Bob Marley should be enough to kill anything!

Don;t worry...bout a ting...cause every little ting gonna be alright...

Quote Originally Posted by zippy6591 View Post
    Don;t worry...bout a ting...cause every little ting gonna be alright...
    Catchy phrase, but very bad advice!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Default It's real

Yep, catchy phrase, bad acvice. take all of the precautions you can on any flight or crowd situation and maybe you'll be around to enjoy Couples for many moons yet to come. My boss & his 35-year old son both had the flu (one confirmed H1N1) and pneumonia. Boss made it after 10 days in ICU. We buried his son yesterday. They live in different towns and the boy had no underlying health problems. We're not gonna even think about cancelling our visit (34 days) but we will be careful...may even don a mask for the flight. It's real, it's dangerous and it moves among us. I don't care if we look dorky on the plane, I want to keep "comin home" before I "go home".