Default Custom and rum cream

This is our first time leaving the Country and was wondering how customs works with bringing alcohol back. Heard such great things about the Rum Cream!!

The first question is Do you have a non stop flight home?

Airlines use to allow you to carry your puchased alcohol on as carryon luggage and you can still but only with non stop flights. If you have a connecting flight you have to check your purchases or stuff them in your luggage and hope for the best.

First of all, I presume you're from the US.

Each person is allowed to bring back 750ml of liquor without paying duty. This isn't to say you can't bring back more, but you may be subject to paying additional taxes and duties.

Now for my recent experience: When we came back in September, we brought back six liters of rum and rum cream. We told the guy at immigration about it, and he said "I think you'll be ok," marked our card, and sent us on our way. I think below a certain threshhold it isn't worth their efforts to collect it.

Basically, if you bring it back, declare it. Worst thing that can happen is they hit you for a few extra bucks. If you don't declare it and they find it, you'll have a world of hurt on your hands.

As I understand it, the alcohol content in Rum Cream is so low that it does not fall into the category which limits the amount to bring back into the States. Hopefully someone can confirm this as I am by no means an expert. Assuming that I am correct, bring back as much as you want. As stated above, it would have to be in your checked bags which could be subject to weight limitations.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Rum Cream is not liquor, so you can bring as much as you'd like to carry on the first leg of the return (assuming you have a transfer), and within what you can pack into your suitcases when you hit customs.

I think I heard/read someplace that rum cream doesn't really count as a liquor, so the same restrictions may not apply. There also may be something to do with it being a Jamaican-made product. In any event, I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. We figure if it fits in our suitcases, we're okay. Whether you feel you have to declare it is up to you (based on your interpretation of the requisite statutes (how's that for attorney-babble?)), but either way, I highly doubt you'd get the proverbial book thrown at you for a few extra bottles of booze.

Rum Cream is great, but some of it is available here in the States. My local store carries Cruzan Rum Cream, and while it isn't the same as what you'll get in Jamaica, it's close enough if you are worried about packing bottles in your suitcase.

We can't find rum cream anywhere near us, and our local liquor store's supplier doesn't have it available (they checked for us). I don't know if that's because we have really messed up liquor laws or if it's just bad luck, but it's not necessarily as readily available in the U.S. as you might think.

Airlines use to allow you to carry your puchased alcohol on as carryon luggage and you can still but only with non stop flights. If you have a connecting flight you have to check your purchases or stuff them in your luggage and hope for the best.
    Sorry RDYJMJM, but allow me to clarify. You can still bring alcohol purchased in the duty-free of the airport onto the airplane as a carryon. The folks at the duty-free to a good job of boxing it all up to federal regs.

In some first-call ports, even if its your final destination, you will have to stuff your alcoholic booty into your checked bags after you claim them. If you have a connecting flight, you will have to pack it before you recheck your bags. But the bottom line is that you CAN carry on at MoBay (subject to airline carryon limitations, of course, which are getting more and more stringent - check with your airline).

As for the rum cream, at 17% alcohol content, it isn't subject to the same duty-free limits imposed on spirits. Its classified as a cordial, and as such is subject to the non-commercial limits, up to the maximum per-person duty-free limits, and your air carrier's limits, of course. I've heard of some folks packing full cases of the stuff, with varying degrees of "success".

Hope that clears things up...
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Quote Originally Posted by Mestralle View Post
    We can't find rum cream anywhere near us, and our local liquor store's supplier doesn't have it available (they checked for us). I don't know if that's because we have really messed up liquor laws or if it's just bad luck, but it's not necessarily as readily available in the U.S. as you might think.
    ....I have been looking since being on these posts; No can find around here either.

Packed a few Coconut Rum Cream bottles in luggage a few trips ago. Arrival at BWI found 1 broken bottle, but the suitcase smelled GREAT!!! Have replaced the suitcase and now get it packed by duty free shop at Mobay, no problems since.

Default Rum Cream to the US

Hi all,

We bring back several bottles of Sangster's Rum Cream every year to Iowa. Here's what we do:

We take several sheets of bubble wrap, some 2-gallon zip-loc bags, and a bit of duct tape with us. It takes up no room in the bottom of our suitcase, and you never know what you might need duct tape for (hemming, sandal repair). Zip locs are also great for stowing that last minute wet swim suit!

We also pack a small portable luggage scale (a $10 bargain if you've ever had to pay for overweight luggage).

We buy our rum cream in the gift shop at the resort. It's a couple bucks more expensive than duty free at the airport (We're spending our gift shop credit on rum cream this year, so it's like it's FREE!).

We wrap it up nice and snug in the bubble wrap and pack it into our checked baggage before leaving the resort. We make sure neither bag is overweight, and we're good to go.

We make our connection in Memphis with no problems and no hassles, since the rum cream is already snug in our checked luggage. So, there's no schlepping it through the airport, stowing in the overhead bin, etc. It works like a charm!

We do declare it, but have never been asked about it. We've never had it leak or break.

We don't like the Cruzan nearly as well as the Sangster's, but since Sangster's doesn't import the rum cream into the US, this works
    really well.

Good luck!
    Beergirl (and rum cream girl!)