Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need honest opinions from regulars

So as you all I am sure know, I am in the middle of trying to book the perfect Honeymoon! And Couples is really standing out to me. I am trying to Spilt my stay 7 nights 8 days in Negril and then 4 nights 5 days in Ochos Rios. Which hotels, well i am still looking into that. Now i did have some questions though.

Tree Frogs... Are they really really really loud, like to the point of you cant sleep?

The windows in the room... Now when they say no glass on the windows, is there at least a screen to keep the bugs out???

CN or CSA... Which has a better Atmosphere? We like to meet people, drink with people, socialize etc.

Is there music playing by the pool?

Has anyone traveled between Ocho Rios and Negril? Are there any sites that to look out for on the drive if we choose this route? Is there anyone that would recommend us staying just in Negril for the whole trip?

I am sure i have a zillllion other questions so i will post as i go.

Thank you all in advance for helping

Hiya NY girl,,,,, I'm Jerzy shore myself******
    I see ya posting lots of questions??? First of all since you have decided on a Couples Resort you can't go wrong,trust me!
    I know its hnymn but make your choice and let them take care of the rest<<<<<<<<< I think you should do CSA and stay the whole time,it takes you 2 days on a resort to figure out where everything is and what to do, and if you want to book a dinner on the beach or the cat cruise it may be on the day you leave to go to the other resort! You wont get into that Negril feel cause then you will be packing & whatever!!! I'm gettin tired just thinkin about it!!!

At CSA you can walk down the beach to local bars,shops etc.. workout area is like a second hotel in itself!!! Trust me,10 time vet of many places in Negril** DO CSA

See now, here's the thing we've been to CTI 8 times, leaving tomorrow for trip #10. Have also been to CN and CSS. We would probably never go anywhere again except CTI. Everyone has their preference and if NYgirlinTX wants to try 2 resorts, God bless her ,(wish I could.) If I could do both, I would (IMHO) do CN & and CTI. To each their own.

I agree with Fred Stripe that you should just stay at one resort. I also cringe at the idea of unpacking, packing, unpacking, packing, etc. It also takes at least a week to enjoy everything at one resort (including the different nightly entertainment, daily activities, etc.). I can't comment on CSA, but I've been to CN and CSS, so I will respond to your questions about CN.

Tree Frogs-nice soothing sound at night, not so loud they will keep you up.

Yes, windows have screens, and unless I remember wrong, the room windows have glass. lots of the main hotel (reception, bars, etc.) are open area, but rooms are closed.

The main place to socialize is the pool bar. Always nice people to talk to. Take part in at least some of the activities and you will be able to socialize with the other people doing them as well.

Always music playing by the pool.

No real sites to recommend on the trip to the resort. I would recommend the excursion to the Black River, YS Falls and Appleton Rum factory. The three combined make a nice trip and are fun. I actually prefer YS to Dunns River. It is an all day trip, so just be prepared.

Thank you guys so much all feed back is helpful:-) As i am awaiting some quotes from my TA! I am getting really excited to finalize all this::-D

First let me say that I think your plan of spending a least a week at one of the Negril resorts and 3 or 4 days in Ocho Rios is a good one. I'm doing the same thing for the 3rd time in December.Our first trip was to CTI/CSA and this will be our second CSS/CSA split. I need at least a week in Negril but 3 or 4 days on Ocho Rios is enough for me.
    As far as which resorts to pick, thats really personal preference. Since this is our 6th trip to CSA I obviously prefer it to CN(have done day passes to CN) and I guess if I had to choose one of the Ocho Rios properties over the other I'd give a slight edge to CSS ,but that doesn't mean they're the best resorts for you. We all have different priorities on what we look for in a vacation.The best thing you can do is look at pictures of all the resorts and read all that you can, pick 2 and know that no matter what your going to have a great honeymoon.All the Couples Resorts are a good choice.

oh.. and to answer your other questions: after the first night you'll love the sound of the tree frogs, yes, there are screens on all the windows, and I don't recall hearing music at the pools, but then we don't spend much time at the pools so I can't say for sure that they dont play music at some of them.

Let me add one thing. The only room that do not have glass windows are the original rooms @ CSA, but yes they do have screens. Those rooms also don't have TV's

If you like to meet people, socialize and drink with people then CN is the place for you. We met five couples on the shuttle from the airport and we instantly hit it off and had fun together the whole week. We still had our tome alone together but it sure was fun getting to know people around the CN pool bar!

Congrats!

We have been to CN twice, toured CSA and been to CSS once, returning to CSS in 2010......plan to do a CTI trading places day on that trip so we can say we have officially been to all 4!

Having said that, Couples Rocks! Tree frogs are incredible, you will know what they are as soon as you hear them! No they will not keep you up at night. We fell asleep to them out on our balcony at CSS one night woke up at like 3 in the morning, it was awesome! They are one of my many favorite things about JA!

Which resort, well you have to decide that! Nobody knows better what you are looking for than you, research, and look at all the pic's over and over, go into Tripadvisor and look at all the Traveller pic's there as well and read the reviews. The resort or resorts that call to you that is where you need to be, the one or ones you can't stop going back to. We repeaters all know the resorts pick you.

The drive from Negril to Ochi is long approx 3+ hours. Just so you are informed.

None of the Couples resorts rooms will compare to the Ritz, know that going in. Couples is known to be laid back Caribbean resorts with a casual elegance about them not alot of glitz and marble etc, but the resorts truly fit us. Excellent service, food, top shelf liquor with a feeling about the resorts that is difficult to describe. Adult only resorts where romance is catered to. The rooms look exactly like they do in the websites.

We personally have fallen in love with 2 of them. CN & CSS, which one do we like better? That is a toss up. We LOVE the beach at CN, located on Bloody Bay, a beautiful 2-1/2 mile stretch of beach. The pool is huge and is the epicenter of the resort. Nothing is far from the pool. Easy to navigate with eclectic decor in the rooms, bright and airey.

CSS is built into a cliff, so it has a completely different feel, in our opinion the most romantic of the 3 we have been to. 4 pools and a superb A/N area if you are into that. The beach is a private cove beach. The spa area is supreme up on the cliffs. There are alot of stairs, but they add to the overall feel of the resort. Room service all 3 meals (only one of the Couples resorts to offer this, breakfast is continental). Mini bars in all rooms, and oceanviews all rooms. We love the one bedroom ocean suite with balcony, the balconies are large with table and chairs and either a double chaise or 2 chaise lounges, great for a bottle of wine at night with the tree frogs in the background.

Keep looking, keep asking questions and reading. You will know what to do.

Whatever you decide enjoy your honeymoon! Congratulations again!

Couples will provide a free transfer from Negril to Ocho Rios at any time you request (provided you have reservations at both resorts). We left CSS at 6:00 am and arrived at CN at 8:11 am with no stop at the airport. If you go later in the day and someone needs a transfer to the airport at the same time it could take 4 or 5 hours for the trip. A private transfer in a cab (not provided by Couples) would probably take 3 hours or more due to the traffic in Montego Bay.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

You will lose a whole day by changing resorts, checking out, waiting for taxi, back to the airport, waiting again, driving to ochi, checking in.

I would pick 1 resort unless you have (2) weeks

Negril has much better beaches, Rick's Cafe, cat cruise

Ochi has more excursions nicer rooms, CSS has the room service and great a/n beach

If you want to do a split then why not two resorts in the same city?

I would either do CN and CSA or CTI and CSS

I wouldn't be a fan of losing a whole day of travel. However, a trip split between Ochi and Negril is entirely possible.

Good luck!
    CSA Junkie! Next trip -- November 28th!

Hey Wally I didn't know that you could actually set up the time you want to leave the resort, that is pretty neat. As for the drive, yes i have heard it can take as quick as an hour and half up to 4-5 hours depending on the time of day you travel.

I was trying to look at the trip from Ocho To Negril as a Site see'ing tour not just a pack up and move resorts. Is there anything to see on the drive?

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    You will lose a whole day by changing resorts, checking out, waiting for taxi, back to the airport, waiting again, driving to ochi, checking in.
    Not True! We left CSS at 6:00 am and arrived at CN at 8:11 am in time for breakfast using Couples FREE transfer! Check in was a 10 minute snap.

There seams to be a lot of mis-information on this board, so beware when taking advice from here.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by NYgirlinTX View Post
    Hey Wally I didn't know that you could actually set up the time you want to leave the resort, that is pretty neat. As for the drive, yes i have heard it can take as quick as an hour and half up to 4-5 hours depending on the time of day you travel.

I was trying to look at the trip from Ocho To Negril as a Site see'ing tour not just a pack up and move resorts. Is there anything to see on the drive?
    Yup. Anytime you want. Try to find out from the front desk when people are going to the airport that day and schedule your trip at a different time or you will end up riding along to the airport.

Obviously, we didn’t stop along the way, but the sites along the way are great! Haveyour cameras ready. Here is the kind of stuff you will see.

[

I tried to post 5 pictures, but it wouldn't let me, so here is the other one:

[

NYgirlinTX,

I'd like to officially say that I am JEALOUS at your ability to spend 11 nights in Jamaica! If I had the time and resources to spend more than a week, you betcha I would in a heartbeat. And if I did, you can bet I would do a transfer on my first visit to Jamaica! Good for you!

We have been to Jamaica five times -- with only the last one being in Negril at Couples Negril. All the rest of our trips have been to Ocho Rios or Port Antonio -- at one of the other all-adult, all-inclusives. I would say that you have made your decision wisely on how many nights to spend in each town -- the beaches in Negril cannot be topped -- but the opportunity to visit Ocho Rios and that area just makes it even better.

Like I said, we stayed at CN, but we did the trade for a day to CSA. And while CSA is lovely, it just didn't have the atmosphere that CN had -- to us. Now, that could be partially due to the fact that we had no room at CSA -- no private place to call ours. We were truly visitors that day and felt a little out of place. We left early to get back 'home' to CN. To us, there seemed to be more activity and more fun being had at CN, especially around the pool bar.

We LOVE the sounds of tree frogs -- to the point where we have searched for mp3s of the sound and will play it occasionally at home. It's a very tranquil sound, not annoying at all.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and have a happy honeymoon!

June

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Not True! We left CSS at 6:00 am and arrived at CN at 8:11 am in time for breakfast using Couples FREE transfer! Check in was a 10 minute snap.

There seams to be a lot of mis-information on this board, so beware when taking advice from here.
    Hah!! I knew you'd come thru Wally. I was going to respond myself, but it would only have been an opinion, not based on actual experience. So I thought it best if it came directly from the source.

We're very much leaning toward this approach when we head out from CTI to CN on our transfer day (as in 99.99% leaning). Good stuff bud.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Yes, IT WAS TRUE

the day we checked out, we had to wait 20 minutes for someone to get our bags, then wait for checkout, wait for taxi, then onto CSA after our stop then BACK to Mobay, 1.5 hours, then wait for another taxi to load for trip to Ochi, almost 1 hour. It took 2 whole hours to get to ochi, almost 30 minutes to check in, then unpack.

Left our room at 10:00 am, got into our new room after 3:00, MOST OF THE DAY.

Maybe you can get private car from Negril to Ochi but not for free, they told us there was no direct xfer from Negril to Ochi w/o stopping in Mobay. We have flown TimAir many times from Negril to Mobay but very $$ from Negril to Ochi.

We did a transfer from S resort in Mobay to Negril and same thing, back to airport, check-in at lounge, wait, new bus, wait, 1.5 hour drive, check-in, unpack. 1/2 a day.

So, Ron an Rosa,

When do you finally get to go to Couples? I'm getting tired of seeing that "Members of the 0 for 4 club"! We need to get that at least to the "1 for 4 club" very soon!!!

Wally
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

So, Ron an Rosa,

When do you finally get to go to Couples? I'm getting tired of seeing that "Members of the 0 for 4 club"! We need to get that at least to the "1 for 4 club" very soon!!!

Wally
    LOL - well, unfortunately it's not for another 5 months before our trip, but at least after it's completed we'll have jumped right over to the 2 for 4 club!

But I probably should change the sig anyway, I've had it like that for some time now.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Ron & Rosa,

We go to CN and CTI in January, so I'll let you know if our Couples transfer goes as well as it did last time. Hope we don't get stuck going to the airport.

Wally

Note to others interested in the Couples free transfer between resorts:

1) Set it up the day before the transfer, not the day of the transfer.

2) Check out the night before you leave. They will inform you about the pre-check out option.

3) Try to find out when they are going to the airport that day and schedule your transfer around those times. I don't know how easy this is. We just got lucky last time.

4) Schedule it early in the morning to avoid the traffic, especially in Montego Bay.

5) They will pick up your bags about an hour before you are scheduled to leave. You leave them outside your room door. They will inform you what time to have them ready.

6) Have your cameras out during the trip because the local Jamaican scenery, buildings and people are fascinating.

7) When you get to the destination resort, your room probably won't be ready (if you go early in the morning), but you will have full access to all of your luggage, a semi-secure place for your small bags, a safe to put your valuables in, beach towels and full access to all the resorts activities. We were even able to schedule activities without a room number. They just used our name and told us to give them the room number when we get one.
    [

Just to make it clear... Any room with Verandah or Great House in the name will have glass windows/ doors, minibar, and a TV. The other rooms have screens and wooden shutters, no TV, and the only minibar is in the Beachfront Suites. We did stay in a Beachfront Suite the first night because they didn't have a BFVS open (then we spent 4 night in a BFVS). I was concerned about the AC and it did cool the room, but you had to have the shutters closed. What's the point of being in a beach view room if you have to close the shutters to stay cool? I did like the open feel of the BFS and the large balcony, but personally, I prefer the newer rooms with glass windows. The tree frogs were loud but they were like crickets at night; they just blend in with the other noises. The BFS we were in for that one night was actually right next to Palms/ Lemongrass and more than anything, the clinking of dishes at 5am was more annoying than the tree frogs.

We have only been to CSA, but we did meet quite a few other couples and could either be social or not.

Yes, there is music playing by the pool w/ the swimup bar. I don't remember if there was music playing by the other pool.

As other posters have said, it takes a good 2 days to figure out where everything is and what times/ days the activities are, etc. so I think you'd be fine staying at one resort the whole time. I agree with the previous posters that if I had 11 days in Jamaica that I wouldn't want to spend one full day transferring between resorts, and maybe it would be better to go to CSA and CN.

Congratulations on your wedding! You'll have a great time no matter which resort you pick!

I wanted to add something about transferring between resorts (and thank you to Wally for all of the tips!). We have done a transfer before, several years ago before the roads were even as "good" as they are now, from a completely different resort on the Ocho Rios side of the island to CN. We had no problems transferring and we even had to go to the airport in between. We are anticipating having to go to the airport again when we go to CSS/CSA in December, but if we get a direct ride, that would be great! I didn't find it to be a huge inconvenience at all but maybe we just got lucky. I know we left in the morning, not too early, and were at CN in time for lunch. That was just our experience with transferring to different resorts. I am excited to experience 2 different ones in December as well!

I can't answer any of your other questions about the resort comparisons, as I've only been to CN, but I can say that there was glass on the windows (except for a shutter in the bathroom, which sounds weird but really isn't a big deal to me) and they always had music playing by the pool.

The tree frogs didn't bother me at all. I think you can look up some videos on youtube to get an idea of the tree frog sound. If you're familiar with the sounds of cicadas in the trees at night and aren't bothered by that, then you probably won't be bothered by the tree frogs either.

Good luck with all of your planning!
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

YNgirlinTX, My wife and I had the same dilemma planning our 10th anniversary. We were booked at S. A friend told us about CN: Better atmosphere, huge repeat group, amazing service and staff, nobody pushing activitites on you, and a better comparative price. Result: Canceled S, booked CN, and the best 7-day vacation of our lives...and we travel a little. OBW, we;re booked for New Years, our 3rd annual trip to the SAME location. Convinced? You should be it, CN is amazing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast