Thread: Develop Film

Default Develop Film

I'm bringing two cameras. One DSLR and a film camera. Is there a place to develop film on a CD before I leave? Thanks. 19 Days. I started packing last night.:D
    Karen and Brian

They still make film??

Quote Originally Posted by Umberto View Post
    They still make film??
    .....That's what I was just thinking!!

just curious what is the upside of bringing a film camera if you already are bringing a digital

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog View Post
    I'm bringing two cameras. One DSLR and a film camera. Is there a place to develop film on a CD before I leave? Thanks. 19 Days. I started packing last night.:D
    To answer your question...I really doubt it!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

If you have a DSLR, I would just use that for anything I needed right away. I was not aware they still made film.

My bet is that the film camera is a waterproof or underwater item. And, in answer to the question, no, you'll have to take the film home with you and get it developed. Go to a camera store (yes, they still have them) and buy a lead pouch or several. You'll have your bag searched, but your film won't get x-ray'd.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Mt Dad works airport security. He said that your unexposed film can go thru xray quite a few times. However, exposed film can't go thru at all or they won't turn out.

I do not think so.
    Irie Mon

Contrary to one of the posts above, it does not matter if the film is exposed or not. The impact of xrays is additive to the light exposure so it doesn't matter which comes first.

The important difference is that checked bags often receive much more intense xrays than carry-ons. So all film should be kept with you in your carry-on, and never packed in your checked baggage.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.jhtml

Quote Originally Posted by becandjas89 View Post
    Mt Dad works airport security. He said that your unexposed film can go thru xray quite a few times. However, exposed film can't go thru at all or they won't turn out.
    Oh so wrong.

I would never put any film exposed or unexposed through an airport X-ray. X-ray equipment power varies from country to country and X-ray effects are cumulative as well.

If carrying film kindly request that it be hand inspected... always.

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

I manage a photo lab. Film, exposed or not, will not be damaged by modern x-ray equipment. The only exception to this is infra-red or VERY high speed film (1600-3200). Modern equipment does not use enough radiation to damage film on a single pass, and multiple passes would only tend to "fog" a negative. I have done thousands of rolls of film people have shot on vacation and have NEVER seen anything that would point to x-ray damage, not once!

Default Fogged film!

We accidentally sent a disposable underwater camera through the x-ray machine in our checked bag at LAX in 20005. It had 400 speed film and some of the negatives were fogged with a striped-like pattern. So it can and does happen! We took pictures any way knowing that they might not come out and most of them had some level of fogging.

Yes, it does happen. I've learned from the advice given to me but it did happen to some friends of ours and they were very upset. To each his own, I guess.

To put it simply, ask a pro photographer if they would allow unexposed film through an airport X-ray device. The answer would a resounding NO!

Cheers,
    Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

NO no palce to have your film developed. We have wrapped out disposible water cameras in tin foil to protect them from the security exray equip. and it has worked like a charm. No damage ever. Took the same camera on three trips to!
    Shari & James
    Members of the 4 for 4 club