Default Which Bars Are Within Walking Distance to CSA???

Can't wait to try CSA in June for our wedding!! We have stayed at CN a few years back and it was fantastic!!
    Anyone know which bars are within walkinging distance - beach walking to CSA?? Can you walk to Margaritaville??
    Thanks for the info!!!
    Love Couples!!
    Jackie

There are a ton of small local bars along the beach. Yes you can walk to MV. Just go left as you look at the sea......Have fun...

check out negril.com and search for negril map it will list all the restaurants and bars along long bay

All of the beach bars are close enough to walk...( yes, even Disneyville ..oops... Margaritaville )
    The further you go, you will come upon some much cooler ones....23/7 for one

Barry's Bar is right next door and Margaritaville is about 75 yards away. Have a great trip!
    Last edited by Amy; February 24th, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Here's a map showing the resorts, bars and attractions in Negril. To make room for everything, it is not quite to scale, so watch the kilometer markings that are shown along the road representation on the map. Much respect and thanks to those who took the time and effort to compile this information.

http://www.negrilinfo.com/sitebuilde...miniupdate.pdf
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Needbluewater - thanks for the map, it's wonderful. Question

I know you can walk down the beach, but can you walk down the street to see things on the other side? And how safe is it to do. We love walking around new places.

It is quite easy to walk down the streetside (s) of the road....any of the bars or restaurants can be used to access the street from the beach. Many of the hotel properties will allow you to walk through them...if the property security does ask, just let them know where you're staying (not sure if you'll have an arm band from Swept Away?)...that you're taking a walk to see what the main beach is all about, and that you would like to not only access the roadway, but also get the "vibes" of the property you'll be cutting through, just as a comparison for a future stay..."maybe"....

If for some strange reason you're denied access from one property, thank the security guard for his time, and walk on up the beach to another spot to cut through...it won't be a problem.

Once you're on the roadside, if crossing over to the other side, PLEASE follow these rules:
    Look left, look right...look left again, look to the right again. WAIT for a lull in traffic..wait until vehicles are far enough away. NEVER feel like you need to sprint, jog, or skitter across the road. I'm not saying you need to stroll across like Jamaicans might do, or like those of us who live here, but traffic is not so congested that you can't take a few minutes to wait and cross over at more than a walk.

ALWAYS walk AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with it.

When cars "beep" at you, it means "I Have Space, Do You Need A Ride?"....the horn beeping is the taxi driver's equivalent of the taxi sign mounted on the top of vehicles at home. There are route taxis (public) and private charter taxis...if planning to use one (or even thinking of maybe using one)..just know the difference between the two systems.

Be sure that if you're doing some sightseeing, or chatting together to decide where to go or what to do next, you stand well back on the road shoulder, and keep your eyes on the road, as some cars do pass each other incorrectly (on the inside shoulder itself)...or pull over without using a signal.

The roadside can get warm during the middle part of the day when walking a long distance, but there will always be a breeze on the beach itself, plus you can take a dip in the water anytime...wear your swimsuits and maybe bring a towel and a bottle of water along, and your camera. You can make an outing of your walk and then have something to share with others at the resort or at home after you've gone exploring.

There is an unspoken agreement that all small / independent properties on the beach have = buy something from the bar or restaurant and in exchange, feel free to use the lounge chairs and fresh water shower. When you're ready to move on, and another place grabs your interest, just have another drink or something to munch on, stay awhile, repeat as needed.

Take time to chat with the locals you'll meet, look at what they have to sell if interested, don't be shocked or intimidated at the number of approaches you'll receive, but also do not feel intimidated. Negril's main beach has many "roaming entrepreneurs" as well as little stands, stalls, shops. You may not make it the whole five miles to the town center, but rather take in a portion of the beach, and still have a good time.

Watch the pricing at the different 'drink stops'...the fancier tourist restaurants/bars will have tax and gratuity to add on to your bill...the little, funkier, more local spots will not...the price is what it is.

Print out a copy of the map and take it with you (11 x17 paper works best)...highlight the spots you want to visit based on what you've read about on message boards, or what you've seen pics of. If you find spots not on the map (especially along both sides of the road) let me know. The map team will have an update for 2010...my job is to walk the whole beach and west end part of town to verify changes...any help from those of you who do make treks, no matter how small, and want to let me know of your discoveries, I'll welcome you're input.

Great post Road Gypsy. Good advice there for the newbies.

Its easy to get a taste of "off resort" when you stay at CSA.Just start walking down the beach(to the left if facing the water)before you get too hot or too tired cut through one of the beach properties to get to the road and just head back to Swept Away,a lot of nice little places to stop and explore on the road. If you find you walked a little too far to walk back, no problem, just flag down one of the many taxis. Just make sure it has a red plate and establish the price before you get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Gypsy View Post
    When cars "beep" at you, it means "I Have Space, Do You Need A Ride?"....the horn beeping is the taxi driver's equivalent of the taxi sign mounted on the top of vehicles at home. There are route taxis (public) and private charter taxis...if planning to use one (or even thinking of maybe using one)..just know the difference between the two systems.

The first time I went down the road in Negril I thought that the Taxis honking were telling me to get out of the way!! LOL!! I would take a step back from the road when they honked and they would think I wanted them to pull over and pick me up. Obviously there was a cultural mis-communication on my part. After about 10 minutes of this I doubled back to that little store across from CSA and asked the girl behind the counter about how Jamaicans wave a cab off if you don't want one. She taught me to just put my hand down by my side with the palm flat. (like you would be signal stop, except with your hand down by your hip.) This worked great. It's such a simple thing, but I had it all wrong. I still laugh about that though. I guess its one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Anyhow, that's the day I discovered route Taxis...they are fun, cheap, and most of all a wonderful way to meet Jamaicans on their own terms.

Default Awesome

this is awesome, thanks a ton, I would be interested to know how to make a donation when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Gypsy View Post
    It is quite easy to walk down the streetside (s) of the road....any of the bars or restaurants can be used to access the street from the beach. Many of the hotel properties will allow you to walk through them...if the property security does ask, just let them know where you're staying (not sure if you'll have an arm band from Swept Away?)...that you're taking a walk to see what the main beach is all about, and that you would like to not only access the roadway, but also get the "vibes" of the property you'll be cutting through, just as a comparison for a future stay..."maybe"....

If for some strange reason you're denied access from one property, thank the security guard for his time, and walk on up the beach to another spot to cut through...it won't be a problem.

Once you're on the roadside, if crossing over to the other side, PLEASE follow these rules:
    Look left, look right...look left again, look to the right again. WAIT for a lull in traffic..wait until vehicles are far enough away. NEVER feel like you need to sprint, jog, or skitter across the road. I'm not saying you need to stroll across like Jamaicans might do, or like those of us who live here, but traffic is not so congested that you can't take a few minutes to wait and cross over at more than a walk.

ALWAYS walk AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with it.

Be sure that if you're doing some sightseeing, or chatting together to decide where to go or what to do next, you stand well back on the road shoulder, and keep your eyes on the road, as some cars do pass each other incorrectly (on the inside shoulder itself)...or pull over without using a signal.

The roadside can get warm during the middle part of the day when walking a long distance, but there will always be a breeze on the beach itself, plus you can take a dip in the water anytime...wear your swimsuits and maybe bring a towel and a bottle of water along, and your camera. You can make an outing of your walk and then have something to share with others at the resort or at home after you've gone exploring.

There is an unspoken agreement that all small / independent properties on the beach have = buy something from the bar or restaurant and in exchange, feel free to use the lounge chairs and fresh water shower. When you're ready to move on, and another place grabs your interest, just have another drink or something to munch on, stay awhile, repeat as needed.

Take time to chat with the locals you'll meet, look at what they have to sell if interested, don't be shocked or intimidated at the number of approaches you'll receive, but also do not feel intimidated. Negril's main beach has many "roaming entrepreneurs" as well as little stands, stalls, shops. You may not make it the whole five miles to the town center, but rather take in a portion of the beach, and still have a good time.

Watch the pricing at the different 'drink stops'...the fancier tourist restaurants/bars will have tax and gratuity to add on to your bill...the little, funkier, more local spots will not...the price is what it is.

Print out a copy of the map and take it with you (11 x17 paper works best)...highlight the spots you want to visit based on what you've read about on message boards, or what you've seen pics of. If you find spots not on the map (especially along both sides of the road) let me know. The map team will have an update for 2010...my job is to walk the whole beach and west end part of town to verify changes...any help from those of you who do make treks, no matter how small, and want to let me know of your discoveries, I'll welcome you're input.

Fantastic Gypsy, Thank-you.

Quote Originally Posted by mshell View Post
    Great post Road Gypsy. Good advice there for the newbies.

Its easy to get a taste of "off resort" when you stay at CSA.Just start walking down the beach(to the left if facing the water)before you get too hot or too tired cut through one of the beach properties to get to the road and just head back to Swept Away,a lot of nice little places to stop and explore on the road. If you find you walked a little too far to walk back, no problem, just flag down one of the many taxis. Just make sure it has a red plate and establish the price before you get in.
    About how much should a taxi with a red plate cost per Km, Or from Legends to CSA? And do you pay in American or Jamican?

Quote Originally Posted by redinthehead View Post
    About how much should a taxi with a red plate cost per Km, Or from Legends to CSA? And do you pay in American or Jamican?
    It shouldn't cost more than $5 for a charter"private" ride anywhere along the beach road,American money is fine.Just set your price before you get in.Now if you want to take advantage of the route taxi system it would only cost 80j(roughly $1us)each. Route taxis work similar to our bus system, they have a certain route they travel(the beach road is one, the cliff road is another)and pick up and drop off passengers along their route.Anywhere along their route is 80j. Most taxi drivers assume tourist want a charter ride(route taxis turn into a charter when its a private ride)) so you'd have to specify route rate so they know its ok to pick up other passengers. We've done it both ways, all depends on how far we have to go.

i have a question since it will be my first time in jamaicia come dec 09...we want to take my family out 5 adults and 2 kids after the wedding...where is a good place to go...looks like you people have been down the road to negril..any cool places with good food and will allow kids???..any help would be great thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nosnow View Post
    i have a question since it will be my first time in jamaicia come dec 09...we want to take my family out 5 adults and 2 kids after the wedding...where is a good place to go...looks like you people have been down the road to negril..any cool places with good food and will allow kids???..any help would be great thanks
    Are you looking for a nice dinner?If so and if you want someplace on the beach that has a nice atmosphere and good food Id suggest Kuyaba. Or maybe for something completely different you might like to go someplace up on the cliffs. I know kids can't stay at some of the properties on the cliffs but I"m "almost" sure they can go there for dinner..just have to keep a close eye on them A couple of my favorite cliff restaurants are Ivans at Catcha Falling Star and Rockhouse.There's also a lot of casual places with good food on both the beach and cliffs but if I was looking for someplace "special" I'd go to one of the ones I mentioned. Let me know if I read your post wrong and your just looking for a casual place to hang out with your family. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding and you picked a great place to get married!

thanks for the congrats..yeah a nice place for us to go and the kids if they want could go swimming in the ocean and we adults could relax have a few drinks...so somewhere on the beach...but i must say i looked at pictures of the rockhouse and that looks great..if we were to go to the rockhouse would we just get a taxi outside couples how long of a ride and how much would it probably cost to get there?..do they have vans for all of us?..sorry dont know much about this place yet

Nosnow, mshell is right...Negril is a smorgasboard of choices...from the funky to the "nicer" end...there is literally something here to fit everyone's taste and budget...it's just a matter of knowing yourself and what makes you smile. You've started out good so far....On your "wish list" is a "Place To Go With Good Food".

Now you can start with specifics. How old are the children? Are there specific food preferences the whole group is looking forward to or is NOT interested in trying? "After the Wedding" means right away or later in the day? "Cool" place means just general ambiance or with water view, special lighting, tourist vs local ambiance....

If you truely want to have something tailored to fit your hopes, the specifics are necessary for someone to work with...it does take effort (both on your part and the part of the person willing to step in and help pull off the occassion, but it can be so worth it .... with so many options in Negril, for those willing to put out a little of themselves, there are so many more choices than just standard options/offerings/places to go/things to do.