Default Iphone use at CTI and how to save on charges

I have just purchased an Iphone and heard that the charges are outragous even if i dont use it but i nned it for airport. Any suggestions

Turn everything off except the phone and wifi. Turn off the 3G, email and all text and data functions. The WiFi works in the lobby and is free.

Depending on the your plan, using the phone is about 1.99 per min. You may or may not have free incoming, just depends on the the plan.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by jon1963 View Post
    Turn everything off except the phone and wifi. Turn off the 3G, email and all text and data functions. The WiFi works in the lobby and is free.

Depending on the your plan, using the phone is about 1.99 per min. You may or may not have free incoming, just depends on the the plan.
    Ditto! I used my iPhone while we were at CSA in April and had no problem. On the General tab, turn everything off like John said, including the location device. I did this before we took off in the states. When you land, your phone will connect to the Digicel network in Jamaica. I had called AT&T prior to my departure to make sure I didn't have to do anything special to use my phone and for me, on my plan, incoming calls and texts were part of my normal plan. Outgoing had a charge. Basically, just use your iPhone like a phone and it won't be too costly. Have fun!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

When you go abroad it's advisable to turn off 'Data Roaming' on the iphone (under Settings->General->Network) as this will save you lots of wonga.

To make calls the 'cheapest' option is usually to use a VoIP application over the hotel wifi.

I'm from the UK and using the app 'Truphone' can call hone for 5 cents a minute. I imagine the Jamaica->US calls to be the same or cheaper.

The downside is that you need a reasonably good wifi signal. This worked well for me at CSA last year.

Plubby

Default Try Skype on your Iphone

Quote Originally Posted by token View Post
    We just got back from CTI and I would highly recommend trying Skype on your iPhone.
    It's a free download and it only costs 2.1 cents per minute to call to the US.
    You will need to setup a Skype account and add $5 or $10 to your account. We were there a week and didn't even spend a total of $3.

The only caveat is that Skype only works with wifi so you will have to make calls from the CTI lobby or out on the patio near the lobby.
    From this thread.

Good Luck,
    Token

I know T-Mobile has phones that use UMA or Wi-Fi access for not only data but also for phone communications. Any call on the Wi-Fi is free as long as you are calling back to the US... no I dont work for T-Mobile... haha

Agree with all of the above. Also keep in mind that texts from JA are considered international and are a bit more than regular per text cost. (i think it was .50 per text).

We only use the phone to make "we're here safe" calls to the parents and to let our JA family that we are HOME. The rest of the time it is an Ipod.

I will be visiting CTI in October and I simply upgraded my plan for that month to an international data plan for an extra $25. That gives you plenty of data and no surprises on your phone bill. Calling the US from your iPhone is $1.99 per minute and texts are $.50. It would add up quick but having the internet accessible is priceless

Hi lashundag,
    When we were at CSA last October we used Truphone on my husband's IPhone and were able to call home to Canada for .06 cents/minute. We also used Skype on our laptop to be able to "see" the kids.
    Hope that helps,
    Cheers,
    Terri

I am with O2 in the Uk and international text cost me 4 text out of my allowance. I think I get something like 600 minutes and 500 text. Guess I should check it out.