Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

If you normally sleep with a fan or sound machine at home... you can download an app on your smart phone and have your own portable sound machine on your phone. Use it while it's charging at night. My app has 2 'fan' sounds, a 'white noise' sound, a 'brown noise' sound, rainstorm sound, crashing waves, etc. It's really great for hotel rooms. My family used it on our family summer trip to Washington DC last summer. Works just great; it's small & portable!

I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this because the list is so long, but we brought at mp3 speaker with us like this one http://www.amazon.com/iSP110-Portabl...5904452&sr=8-7 last year and put our ipod inside it then put it in a ziplock bag so we could have tunes playing while we are lazying in the beautiful ocean on the floats. It worked perfectly and nothing was harmed. As long as you keep the music at a reasonable level to where you aren't forcing other couples into "enjoying" your music choice, you can't go wrong. We bought a back up to bring with us this year in case the other poops out.

I love the Jamaica ketchup! I have often said, best ketchup ever.

Bumping up...

It seems like some of the women get constipated while being away from home, make sure and bring something for that

Well, on the opposite of the above, I've always found my bathroom trips in the Caribbean to multiply x 10. I bring travel packs of medicated wipes. They really help and don't take musch room, either.

I would say...bring your own reggae music. We noticed at both resorts (CN and CSA) that they play really awful music most of the time. It's like Lady Gaga and crap like that. So, we put all our old school (and new stuff) reggae on our ipod so we could listen to it in our room. It was the only time we really got to hear good reggae, pretty sad that we went to Jamaica and had to bring our own music, but that's just the way it goes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLoveEnergy View Post
    I would say...bring your own reggae music. We noticed at both resorts (CN and CSA) that they play really awful music most of the time. It's like Lady Gaga and crap like that. So, we put all our old school (and new stuff) reggae on our ipod so we could listen to it in our room. It was the only time we really got to hear good reggae, pretty sad that we went to Jamaica and had to bring our own music, but that's just the way it goes I guess.
    When Ivelyn is working at the pool bar at CN she plays raggae..........
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

We traveled with a group of people last year and got a kick out of using small walkie talkies to stay in touch with each other. Made it a lot easier for people to meet up in the mornings, and also for couples to do their own thing and not worry about splitting off from the main group. It was also great for bar runs. If you needed a refill while someone was getting the next round of drinks, you just radioed them and placed your order.

Our musts, some of which are mentioned above: Thermal cups for coffee in the am and beach drinks the rest of day (we get the drinks in their plastic cups then empty into ours and it keeps them frozen/cold), bendy straws (I'm with ya Blondie!) extra hangers (which we leave), extra sunscreen, extra $1 and $5 for tipping at the airport/driver, flashlight, hats (yes, you can burn your scalp even with a full head of hair), old watch for keeping track of time for trips, notebook for our daily diary (makes for great reading the next winter), extra pens (everyone borrows them at the airport), baggies, extra pair of sunglasses (broke a pair once and learned that lesson), bag of over the counter necessities and last but not least 3-4 bathing suits.
    You'll be amazed that you can easily use 2 a day and then let them dry for one day. There's nothing worse to me than putting on a cold, wet bathing suit. Don't bring too many clothes/shoes. You probably won't need nearly as much as you think.
    One thing we are bringing this year that we have not in the past is a couple bottles of good wine. We're going to get them at the airport at the duty free shop and take them on the plane. Anyone else ever do this?

Photo Opportunities

Both Couples Swept away and Couples Negril have beautiful sunsets on the beach. Everyone should get a picture of the sunset.

However, there is a common mistake. Be sure to use a flash if there is a person in the photo. If you fail to use a flash you will get your beautiful sunset photo, but the people will only be a shadow. Be sure not to exceed the usable distance for the flash. This is usually no more than 10 feet (3 meters). We had this happened on our first trip to Couples Swept Away. I had to use a photo editor to fix these photos. Use a flash for the sunset photos and you will be much happier with the results.

Also, if you see a couple on the beach with a camera around sunset, offer to take their picture. Make sure you turn on the flash and explain why. It is nice to have one of these sunset photos with both of you in the picture.

See you in Couples Tower Isle in a couple of weeks.

Bump...love this thread! Lots of great information.

We just got back from CSA and found i could have really used some small scissors. We needed them to cut off tags from t-shirts we bought or from tags on our clothes that somehow bothered us. The extra conditioner helped too with the salt water hair.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLoveEnergy View Post
    Lady Gaga?!? We've probably heard a bit more than 1,000 songs at CN (and a few at CSA as well) and have never heard her or or anything similar. It has always been reggae or dancehall, mixing songs anywhere from the late 1950's to current dancehall (on occasion) - at the Pool Bar, Beach Grill Bar, or Main Bar. The Piano Bar may play some disco-type music on "disco night", but that is rather self-explanatory.

However, I won't disagree with bringing your own MP3 player as you may just want to hear your own stuff and/or drown out the Chatty Cathy group that just settled in on the beach near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    When Ivelyn is working at the pool bar at CN she plays raggae..........
    I don't believe Ivylin (nor any other bartender) controls which music is played. At least we've always been told that it is controlled from somewhere in the Entertainment office. There is, however, a volume control in the Main Bar, so I assume the Pool Bar and Beach Grill Bar also have a volume control.
    Last edited by rudi; February 9th, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: can I ever spell correctly?

Bump

this is the greatest thread ever.

my husband and i are going to CSA for our belated honeymoon/1st anniversary vacation!! we'll be there from 5/6-5/14....we're super excited!!!

thanks to this thread, we'll be well prepared!! THANK YOU ALL!!!! we hope to become regulars just like many of you!!

Thanks for all these hints, I have started a notebook too and thanks szap for asking the question in the first place!

Citranella candles for your balcony !! or regular nice to have some candles at night.

We have found a night light for the bathroom to be helpful when we travel. A new room is unfamiliar and the night light helps you find the bathroom without keeping you awake.
    Quote Originally Posted by szap View Post
    Have you been to Couples in the past and seen something that someone else had brought with them and thought "I wish I would have thought of that"? For example, we throw in a dozen or so of the Crystal Light type drink pouches that are made to mix with a bottle of water for those times when you're not ready for alcohol and soda just doesn't sound good. We always have people tell us they wish they would have thought of that. Any other ideas out there?

I bought a Cannon water proof camera for the trips...it works great and great for snorkling and up to 40 ft in diving.
    The other idea i can share is we always bring some Downy Dryer sheets in a zip lock. We put a couple in each drawer with our clothes so the will still smell fresh each day and the suitcase even smells good.
    Extra zip locs of all sizes is great
    One of those scrunchy things for the shower to put the body wash on is really great to have as well.

Downey Wrinkle Release... they even make it in travel size now, Never leave home without it, great for those pesky wrinkles!! and it makes your clothes smell great.

We brought our own ketchup. I'm a huge ketchup fanatic and the Jamaican ketchup is different than America's version.

Ok I am not sure if this has been posted before but I was just at the lounge in the airport this last sat and saw someone had brought a huge mug and poured a few beers in it for the trip to resort. I thought this was an awesome idea as the small cups just dont las very long on the 1 1/2 trip to the resort.

thanks to this thread we are bringing...
    travel size Downy Wrinkle release
    Gorillapod (bendable tripod that will attach to anything)
    Lots of sunscreen
    Travel reusable coffee mugs and insulated cups with straws (so we can keep our drinks hot/cold longer and get more of them at a time).
    waterproof camera
    bug spray & Off wipes

and probably several other things that I don't even remember or haven't bought yet.

We bring diaper rash cream. Being in a wet suit all day can cause a rash.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast