Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Holy Moly!!!! No wonder the airlines started charging for baggage. lol

I may as well add one to the list.....
    Cut (4) 12" strips of duct tape and apply to the inside of your luggage. Those strips of tape can be used for any type of quick repair. It won't take up any room either. You'd be amazed at how useful it can be in an emergency.
    JD

I started bringing hangers a couple years ago. Makes unpacking so much easier. Great tip.

Another tip - I make a list when we get back home of what I took and didn't use, along with what I wished I had brought. Makes packing the next year a breeze. Things like "took way to many shoes", etc. I also list how many pair of pants, shirts, the whole nine yards. Check off the list next year and good to go. No more worries about forgotten items.

This thread has been ridiculously helpful for us during the packing process... We leave STL Thursday morning for Couples Negril! SO EXCITED!!!

Default Omg!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    Great list put together by all of you.
    I hope this helps.
    JD

• Pocket sized wet wipes
    • Small packets of cleaning wipes. Woolite, Shout etc.
    • Dicapac cover for digital camera. DiCAPac - Specialty Company in Digital Equipment's Waterproof Case
    • Waterproof bags for camera, books, cigs etc.
    • Pens in your carryon
    • Ziplock bags various sizes for packing and keeping things dry.
    • 100% deet
    • Snuff, it’s expensive at the resort.
    • Underwater camera.
    • Don’t over pack.
    • Save room and weight in luggage for souveniers.
    • Extra hangers if you need more than 10.
    • Old watch for your beach bag for excursions and stuff.
    • Don’t over pack. LOL
    • Beer Koozies, hard plastic cups fit well and stay cold.
    • Battery operated candles with incense for room.
    • Bendable straws.
    • Skintastic bug spray.
    • Flash light for late night walks.
    • OTC drugs, pack in plastic bags.
    • Hydrocortisone cream.
    • Small lense cleaning kit.
    • Conditioner for your hair.
    • Book(s)
    • Sunscreen and lots of it.
    • IPOD and charger.
    • Sunglasses.
    • Lip balm with sunscreen.
    • Beach bag, for your things while on the beach or at pool. Can also use as a carry on.
    • Bubble wrap to protect your alcohol on return trip.
    • Ketchup, if you are junkie. Jamaica ketchup is good but different.
    • Small sound machine for sleeping.
    • Insulated travel mug.
    • Pack shoes in zipper bags that sheet sets come in.
    • Dice cup with dice for playing bar dice.
    • Extra duffle bag in case your luggage is overweight.
    • A gym bag to be used as a safe in the room and with overweight luggage.
    • Batteries.
    • Neoprene bottle carriers for packing alcohol. CVS has them.
    • Rimmer spice for Ceasars in room.
    • Pouches of cat treats for local cats.
    • Power strip.
    • Small binoculars.
    • Small bills for tips outside the resort.
    • Travel fan.
    • Kleenex, resort provides but….
    • Nintendo DS.
    • Alcohol swabs with benzocaine.
    • Write a daily journal of your experiences.
    • Empty plastic shoe holder to be placed on bathroom door for sundries.
    • A downloaded movie on your IPhone.
    • Small bottle of dish soap.
    • Video recorder.
    • Several swim suits.
    • Bags for dirty clothes.
    • Plastic martini glasses that light up.
    • Small set of Christmas lights for balcony decoration or night light.
    • Calling cards
    • Shampoo
    • Less clothes.
    • Hershey’s chocolate for resort workers.
    • Photo memory, write names in sand, Jamaica and date. Take picture with your shadows of you and palm tree.
    • Noise cancelling headphones for flight.
    • Lounge chair cover with pockets.
    • Emergen-C packets for hangovers.
    • Garlic powder for bloodies.
    • Ear plugs
    • Walkie Talkies
    • Rimmer salt, Worchester & Tabasco.
    • Baby Powder
    • Water shoes or socks for excursions.
    • Snorkle gear.
    • Towel clips.
    • Febreeze.
    • Antacid.
    • Hats.
    • Deck of cards.
    • Moisturizer.
    • Travelling scale.
    • Dryer sheets for dryers.
    • Tripod.
    • Cash – small bills.
    • Custom/Immigration form cheat sheets.
    • Blow dryer if you need extra power.
    • Extension cord.
    • Put clothes in both pieces of luggage in case one is lost.
    • Camel pack.
    • Bring less stuff.
    • Night light.
    • Glasses, sun and reading.
    • Business cards to share with newly made friends.
    • Go to computer room and invite new friends on facebook.
    • Sandals.
    • School supplies for local schools and resort employee children.
    • Plug in air freshner.
    • Snorkle mask with rx lens.
    • Vinegar for fries.
    • Mountain dew.
    • Massage oil.
    • Photocopy passports, place in both pieces of luggage.
    • Crystal light.
    • Buy from vendors on resort.
    • Dish washing liquid for mugs.
    • Lanyard for key.
    • First aid kit.
    • Space saver bags for luggage.
    • Tervis cups.
    • Swimsuits in carry on.
    • Aloe.
    • International calling plan.
    • Eyeglass repair kit.
    • Shoes & Sandles are broken in.
    • Chocolate.
    • Snack food.
    • Reggae music.
    • Cover ups.
    • 3M adhesive hooks for room.
    • Less clothing.
    • Small binoculars.
    • Plastic hangers with attached clothespin.
    Holy Crap! Wifey and I usually go for a week. I got a feeling that it would take me longer than a week to assemble all that"stuff". My back hurts just thinking about carrying all that "stuff". Everything on this list seems like a good idea but only allowed one suitcase and one carry on each. My wife would bring all this "stuff" if possible. She says I would live for a week out of a plastic grocery bag if she let me. She`s probably right. Either way, it`s all good because Couples is Paradise. 295 days til home again!
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Quote Originally Posted by travandamy View Post
    This thread came in tremendously helpful on our stay in 2010. There is one thing that is obviously not a priority to most..BUT!!! If you are a cigar smoker, like I am, bring a sorted selection of your own. If you are from the US, like I am, I know that they have "Cubans" there. However, the quality and origin was somewhat questionable. I bought a few from vendors at the resort at an inflated price. I have my favorites and prefer to smoke those over the ones that I purchased. I also ended up giving one to a friend that we met. This will keep the cost down and you know where they actually came from. Just be sure to know how many you are allowed to claim at customs when entering the country.
    Keep this thread going....We will be visiting it again upon our return trip in 2012, just to be sure that we didnt forget anything.
    And for newbies, pack your stuff, and then unpack half of it... Take plenty of swim wear and not so much other stuff.
    I plan on bringing my own as well and have the TSA approved butane lighter carrier for my checked luggage. Just wondering if butane fuel is readily available?

Excellent stuff! Love this thread. In case it hasn't been mentioned these:

1. Small portable sewing kit (the one the size of 2 matchbooks put together). We needed to use this once before already.
    2. Hand sanitizer. Don't wanna get the Norovirus from someone @ resort or on excursions off.

Finally, there's one thing we all have to make sure that we definitely must to FORGET to bring with us: Our kids.

Bumping to keep to the top! We'll be there in 23 days!!

I haven't read through all 17 pages so I apologize if this was already mentioned. For our 4th trip to CSA coming up in 2 weeks (hooray!!!) I am finally remembering to bring a small digital clock. In the various verandah suites, the clock is on the iPod docking station across the room and not next to the bed. I am blind without my glasses, but like to know what time it is when I wake up during the night. I have trouble falling back to sleep if I have to get up so see what time it is, so I am bringing one that I can plug in right next to the bed. This may be totally idiosyncratic, and you all may be thinking, why do you need to know what time it is on vacation? For some reason I sleep better if, when I wake up, I get a quick look at the clock and then go back to sleep.

I bring a bunch of bendy straws for drinks on the beach. You know, if you're being a total slug, you might as well not even have to sit up fully while sipping your drink I keep them in my beach bag in one of those plastic toothbrush holders. I also like to have some wet wipes in my beach bag to wipe off my hands after applying sunscreen. And.....bring plenty of sunscreen cause they charge a small fortune for it in the little convenience store at the resort! I also have a small Jamaica first aid kit with cold/allergy meds, tums, pepto, etc. You don't want to have to go looking for it if you feel bad enough to need it :/
    I'm cutting WAY back on what I bring this time. Flip flops, swimsuits/coverups for day (maybe a couple pairs of shorts) and an outfit for each night...couple pair of sandals. This is my 4th trip to Couples (3 to CN and this time to CSS).....I always pack WAY too much.
    Oh, bring an extension cord and power strip because there are never enough outlets where you need them. And bring your Ipod if you enjoy listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I haven't read through all 17 pages so I apologize if this was already mentioned. For our 4th trip to CSA coming up in 2 weeks (hooray!!!) I am finally remembering to bring a small digital clock. In the various verandah suites, the clock is on the iPod docking station across the room and not next to the bed. I am blind without my glasses, but like to know what time it is when I wake up during the night. I have trouble falling back to sleep if I have to get up so see what time it is, so I am bringing one that I can plug in right next to the bed. This may be totally idiosyncratic, and you all may be thinking, why do you need to know what time it is on vacation? For some reason I sleep better if, when I wake up, I get a quick look at the clock and then go back to sleep.
    I'm the same way. Just seem too disoriented if I don't know the time. I have a small battery powered alarm clock that I always travel with. You just tap the front of it and the back light glows so you can see the time.

This thread has been awesome. Some things listed I would have never thought of. We haven't been back to Jamaica in a long time (CSA 2004, CN 2006)... so we are really looking forward to going to CSS in March. 73 days now.

I always bring a zip lock bag with about 25 packets of salt (McDonald's style). My husband salts most of his food and gets very frustrated when the salt won't come out of the shaker (because of the humidity). I just throw a couple in my purse before dinner, and keep a snack bag of them in my beach bag for breakfast or lunch. Another guy gave us a golf T to use to clear the holes of the shaker, and that works also.

Just keeping this thread bumped up. Today I started gathering all the stuff we'll pack for our first trip to CTI. We'll be there in 22 days!!

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. This has been amazingly helpful.

Is it sad that we don't leave until March 16th but when I was at Meijer this weekend, I picked up a bunch of "travel" stuff already??? I missed a few items so will go back for those but still..... I know. I'm sad. Just very excited since we haven't been back since 2006!!!

What a great thread - and after review I decided to add a small pack of mosquito repellant coils to my "must have list" for those evenings on the verandah and for those star watching nights and beach party. Light 'em up!

Bumping this back up - I love this thread and started it using again in preparation for our Oct. 2013 CN trip (we were at CN in 2009 and I used this thread then too!!).

Great advice - thanks all!

Bumping this back up - Getting ready for our trip Feb 27 through March 6 to CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by szap View Post
    Have you been to Couples in the past and seen something that someone else had brought with them and thought "I wish I would have thought of that"? For example, we throw in a dozen or so of the Crystal Light type drink pouches that are made to mix with a bottle of water for those times when you're not ready for alcohol and soda just doesn't sound good. We always have people tell us they wish they would have thought of that. Any other ideas out there?
    Bandages a friend sprained his ankle and they charged him $30 for one at the medical centre tut tut

We always take a champagne stopper. The bottles wont stand upright in the minibar, so unless you can manage a whole bottle at one sitting you will need a stopper! 4 days till CN and 11 till CSA - bags packed and ready to go!

This one is kind of unique, but it may apply to some others out there. I visited CSS last month and when I discovered the yoga studio has a large mirror opposite a railing overlooking the cliffs and that the floor is a marley-type material, I wish I had brought my ballet slippers.

I can also say that I was glad I brought a travel size baby powder and a bottle of conditioner. We also brought over 4 pounds of gourmet chocolate to show appreciation to the staff, because of the no-tipping policy.

Hope that helps and have fun!!!

My fiance and I are going to CTI for our honeymoon at the end of March! This thread has been very helpful. I read it all. I especially appreciate the summaries near the end. I believe we are in a Superior Ocean room, but I could be wrong.

I guess my questions start with bugs. Someone said that CTI doesn't have as many bugs? Will I not need bug spray?
    Shoes...Ok, I need water shoes if I'm going to the waterfalls. Sandals or flip flops for the beach and nice shoes for dinner. Anything else for shoes?

It seems that for clothing, I need multiple swim suits, some cover ups (how many? One per day?), and some nice clothes for dinner. And an outfit or two for excursions.

I love the idea of gladware to bring food back to the room. With the minibar/fridge, is that just for suites or does everyone have them? Is the mini bar included in the all inclusive?

Early on I heard people say they brought their own floaties, but everyone since has said that there are floaties already there?

If I bring my kindle, do I have to worry about it getting stolen? Like if I put it in my beach bag and go for a swim in the ocean?

There are a few things I brought to CSS last summer that are now first on my list:
    16 oz Tervis tumblers with lids to keep my drinks cold and the bugs out

24 oz Tervis water bottles because it can get really hot in the sun and I forced myself to drink water between refills of my adult beverages

A plastic beach tote so that I didn't have to worry about it getting wet or sandy. It just so happened that I got one free at Victoria's Secret and it was the perfect size for the trip.

I'm so glad you mentioned that because I was trying to figure this out by looking at pictures of the rooms .I'm the same way I can't sleep well if I don't know what time it is . We were away in the fall for our anniversary and they didn't have a clock in the bedroom and I didn't rest all weekend . Thanks .

Without getting technical, if your clock is from the America's, it may not function as you'd like. Power grids in the US and most of the Americas function on 120 Volt, 60 cycle (or Hertz) power. UK and Europe in 50 cycle power. Jamaica is also 50 cycle. You can plug your clock in and it will "work", but will lose a great deal of time (about 4 hours) every day. I experienced this in Kuwait and Iraq, but never tried it in Jamaica so I could be wrong. In any case, if you bring a battery power clock and your have no problems.

S/F
    Scott and June

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast