Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

This thread needs a bumb! It should always be on the front page!

This was indeed one of the most helpful threads ever! We won't be there until June, but you better believe I got my list of things to pack after reading this thread. Thanks a million to everyone that took the time to post!! You guys are awesome! I'm super excited now!

What a great thread! So helpful!!! We won't be arriving until 11/23, but I can't help but plan early for paradise!

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery

None but ourselves can free our minds!

Default Caeasar's at CN

Quote Originally Posted by Jilton View Post
    HEY!!! I am from Canada and HATE that I can't get a caesar anywhere but Canada. I was wondering what you use down there instead of Clamato?
    Just ask Elkie to make you a Caesar if going to CN she makes them just the way us Canadians love them. Enjoy!

I bring a piece of nylon rope that I loop through the headrest in my floatie and then tie off to the swim rope. No more worries about drifting down the beach.

FABULOUS thread and very helpful! As a Canadian traveller to the all inclusives, we will be found with our BUBBA mugs - ice will still be ice 2 hours later in these great inventions. I thank my girlfriend regularly for hooking my husband and I up with these incredible inventions!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
    I bring a piece of nylon rope that I loop through the headrest in my floatie and then tie off to the swim rope. No more worries about drifting down the beach.
    This is one of the best ideas....I too like to hook onto the swim rope. I'll remember this for November.

Guys I`m a photographer from Brazil, me and my gf will arrive at CSS on april 8 to 18. Hope we meet

First have a pen for the paperwork on the plane and a few $1 bills to tip the baggage handlers who take your bags to the bus at the airport. $1 per bag is what is expected.
    Pack a bathing suit or shorts and flip flops in your carry on to change into at the Couples Lounge bathroom before the bus trip to the resort.
    Pack a few bathing suits as things don't dry real fast with the humidity. Also, lots of sunscreen. It is expensive there and will not be extra weight on the way back. An extra pair of sunglasses is recommended as they can break or get lost. If you have to pack a third smaller checked bag for shoes and sundries it will probably not be charged on international flights. It will also give you extra room to bring home souvenirs.
    A large zip lock bag that can hold your damp bathing suit for the trip home if you are leaving later in the day.
    Water proof camera! Even an inexpensive one to remember the snorkeling trips, catamaran swim, etc.
    If you wear glasses look into buying a prescription lens snorkeling mask at a dive shop so you can really enjoy the experience. My wife got one and is amazed at what she used to miss.
    Don't forget the dress code guys at the better restaurants. Collared shirt, slacks, and closed shoes (not sandals or sneakers) to eat there. You paid for it so don't miss it!
    Lastly, a prescription for an antibiotic for the sinuses from your doctor that you can take while drinking alcohol. I got a sinus infection from inhaling a little water out snorkeling. Bringing in the doctor to the resort and the Rx will set you back a few hundred dollars.
    The main thing to remember is not to over plan your stay. Relax, sit back, have some rum...you are in Jamaica mon.

Pretty sure I got the idea from this thread long ago-and will always bring on all trips: a small sized room spray, as the bathroom ceilings don't go all the way to the ceiling, and there aren't fans in there either... It also keeps the room freshly scented.
    Bath & Body Works sells a small sized room spray in an aerosol form. I like to get a tropical scent and when I use it again at home, it brings back memories of our trip.

Just took me a few hours to review everything. 17 days and counting....not too excited. LOL!!

Gotta move this back up to the front page!

Just back from CSS.

Thanks to this list.... I only had a few clothing items that I didn't wear. But I wore most things more than once to keep it simple. I packed all the necessary med stuff and only needed a little bit of it. Bug spray came in handy for the Gala Night on the lawn.

Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

I also have an Olympus "tough". It's waterproof to 15m. Also have the Olympus underwater case.... With that I can go to 100m... Which I will probably never do. Recently got a strobe too. Great thing about a camera that is waterproof, even if only to a lesser depth is, if your outer case starts to leak, you can likely surface before the outer case is completely, and your camera will still be fine. (Canon offers an outer case for several of its regular cameras -not waterproof. My guy at the local dive shop convinced me to get an Olympus, and I've never looked back.

Yay! I just bought my citronella candle for our balcony and heavy duty bug repellant. I need to find repellant wipes but haven't located them yet. These were helpful to keep in my beach bag or purse to "refresh" the repellant - I am inevitably a mosquito magnet.

I see a lot about fans and noise makers. Do the air conditioners not have a fan in the or do they use central air?? Also, travel checks or just straight up cash?? Thanks for the help!!! 11 DAYS!!!!

Stash

Quote Originally Posted by metalmanstan View Post
    I see a lot about fans and noise makers. Do the air conditioners not have a fan in the or do they use central air?? Also, travel checks or just straight up cash?? Thanks for the help!!! 11 DAYS!!!!

Stash
    I need noise to sleep like a fan and have never brought one with me. The ACs in the room have a fan and its pretty loud IMO. Believe me when I tell you I dont sleep if there is not a humming sound and I sleep better down there than at home. The drinks might help also Cash is the best. Nowhere will accept the travel checks. Bring a mix of mostly ones, then fives and tens ect....

Quote Originally Posted by keenercam View Post
    Yay! I just bought my citronella candle for our balcony and heavy duty bug repellant. I need to find repellant wipes but haven't located them yet. These were helpful to keep in my beach bag or purse to "refresh" the repellant - I am inevitably a mosquito magnet.
    I, too, am a mosquito magnet and have found that the absolute best bug repellant on the market is Cactus Juice. It is now available to purchse on Amazon, so it makes it really easy to obtain. It is available in a variety of formulas, but the Skin Protectant formula (orange label) is what I use. I get the bottle of lotion with SPF 20, as well as the spray without the sunscreen to use at night.

I will say that the SPF 20 is practically worthless. I burn very easily and found that out the hard way, however it works so well as a bug repellant that I still use it. If I plan to be basking in the sun for an extended period of time (which is practically never), then I'll use a different sunscreen too, but for just hanging out, it's ok. Also, a point to note, since the company did not perform the clinical trials to make the label claim of a "bug repellant", you won't find that claim advertised at all. It will only state that it protects against "nature's assaults."

It works better than Off!, better than Skin So Soft, and better than any other product I've tried, and it's natural with no harsh disgusting chemicals. Hope this helps!

Have a great vacation! 80 days till CSS!!!!

MrsOrbspiders - Thank you for the recommendation! I found some wipes at Eastern Mountain Sports that have 30% DEET content, and am giong to rely on them this trip (as well as the various spray options I have). Keeping my fingers crossed. Good to know about Cactus Juice and will keep it in mind for our beach vacation in late summer if the products I take to Jamaica are not adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by szap View Post
    ...for those times when you're not ready for alcohol...
    I don't understand - what does this mean? LOL

Default Be very careful

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog View Post
    Is it possible to mail stuff back to the USA?
    It is possible to ship things back to the US, but I do not recommend it. Last September while we were there for our 1st anniversary, my husband purchased a large fish carving from the craft market. The resort had told us to call DHL to arrange pick up. The courier came and had us fill out some forms, he also requested a photo copy of my husband's license and front and back of his credit card. This was late Friday afternoon, we returned Sunday. By Monday morning Walmart fraud center was calling my husband to verify an order placed on his credit card. Apparently DHL works along with a smaller shipping company that has an office in Miami. That's where the person was located that was trying to use his card. We will never attempt to ship anything home ever again. If it doesn't fit in a bag or we can't carry it on, it doesn't go.

Hope this helps,

TS

This may sound crazy, but I am so excited because I found a string of solar powered white twinkle lights at Walmart last weekend! Can't wait to decorate our patio at CTI!!! 20 days and counting

The biggest tips I think I'd recommend are:

1. Eye glasses cleaning solution if you wear glasses. The salt water hangs around on lenses like crazy! I cleaned my glasses at least once a day.
    2. If you're used to using a hair dryer, bring your own. The ones in the room are tiny. It worked ok for my fine, pixie-cut hair, but if yours is anything more substantial than that, bring your own.
    3. We did not use bug spray or wipes at all at CTI in January, but we will bring insulated mugs next time (these seemed to be some of the more-contested items in this thread). Plenty of people had them, and the bartenders filled them. I saw some people with their Couples water bottles filled with Red Stripe too!
    4. Definitely bring pens for the airplane and filling out the customs form.

My fiance and I will be making out first trip to CSA in less than 4 weeks for our honeymoon! Wondering from any of you repeaters, is there a blowdryer in the room? I haven't seen anybody metion one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ponziok1 View Post
    My fiance and I will be making out first trip to CSA in less than 4 weeks for our honeymoon! Wondering from any of you repeaters, is there a blowdryer in the room? I haven't seen anybody metion one. Thanks!
    The rooms are equipped with a blowdryer, but if you have long hair, you may want to bring your own, as they are not very powerful. Congrats and have a fabulous time!
    There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ponziok1 View Post
    Yes they have blowdryers in the rooms. If you have thick hair, you may want to bring your own.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast