Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who read through all 19 pages of this thread! My husband and I are heading to CTI Aug 4-11 and I can't wait! I have a love/hate relationship with lists: they help me stay organized but I always worry that I'm forgetting something. Thanks to all the comments on here I feel much more settled!

Quick question, I have non-insulated Camelbak bottles that I usually use for water. I don't really drink much alcohol for health reasons and generally prefer drinking water rather than soda or juice when laying around on the beach. Will I be ok loading my 32oz Camelbak with ice and water and refilling occasionally, or am I really missing out by not bringing something insulated?

It's gonna be hot! the water bottles the resort give you are not insulated but there is always somewhere you can get ice water. I bring insulated Kanteen bottles for the cold bevy's!

We are going for the first time next month! Are there any floats provided at CN?

They have ice water (glass or bottle) so what I might suggest is an insulated cup. If you have a Kohls they sell a cup you can freeze, but has a lid and straw. We LOVED ours and they worked great for water, juice or alcohol. We put them in the freezer at night Personally I wouldnt bother with anything non-insulated as their cups/bottles are ok. We had the bar stocked with water bottles so we could carry them to the beach etc. enjoy your trip!

Not sure anyone else said this but I never ever travel without probiotic supplements. If you get a bit of a stomach bug or upset, usually just a capsule or two is enough to stifle it without causing potential for side effects. You all know to never take Immodium or kaopectate for traveler's diarrhea, right? It's because if it is due to a microorganism (likely it's not - just sensitivity, but just in case), immodium or kaopectate will keep the diarrhea, and therefore also the microorganism inside you, making the potential for a serious infection higher. Probiotics will usually cure the diarrhea but by replacing good bacteria for bad, rather than keeping the bad in you.

I've never had trouble with water or food in Ocho Rios, but you never know. I sometimes get traveler's stomach in Ohio! It's just what you're used to and whether you have a delicate stomach or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria67 View Post
    We are going for the first time next month! Are there any floats provided at CN?
    Yes, all the beach/pool lounge chairs have floats on them.

Quote Originally Posted by improvgirl View Post
    Not sure anyone else said this but I never ever travel without probiotic supplements. If you get a bit of a stomach bug or upset, usually just a capsule or two is enough to stifle it without causing potential for side effects. You all know to never take Immodium or kaopectate for traveler's diarrhea, right? It's because if it is due to a microorganism (likely it's not - just sensitivity, but just in case), immodium or kaopectate will keep the diarrhea, and therefore also the microorganism inside you, making the potential for a serious infection higher. Probiotics will usually cure the diarrhea but by replacing good bacteria for bad, rather than keeping the bad in you.

I've never had trouble with water or food in Ocho Rios, but you never know. I sometimes get traveler's stomach in Ohio! It's just what you're used to and whether you have a delicate stomach or not.
    I use prorum.

We went to CSS 2 years ago and we took our Tervis cups with us.. I am a water drinker big time ! I only had maybe 5 drinks beside water in our 5 day stay! I never had a problem getting them filled it didn't seem to be a problem at all any where we went but iam so glad i took it with me and will be taking it again in 33 days when we land at CN cant wait!!!!
    P.S. you can get them personalized at Tervis.com which i did last time and have my new cups waiting for this trip with our names and dates to have remind me of the great time we had in Jamaica! Just my suggestion

Waterproof camera is a must... we just got back from CSA last week and I'm still stunned why people are still using regular cameras on the beach, catamaran and snorkeling tours. There's really no reason not to have one, they are so inexpensive now and it makes a world of difference and one less thing you have to worry about getting wet or sand in. Make the investment, it's well worth it, underwater HD video while snorkeling is incredible.

OK folks. We do it a little differently.

One carry-on. One bathing suit each, cover-up, his is a gauze shirt we bought at the gift shop one year, mine is a gauze tube top dress length if you wear it as a cover-up or skirt length, he wears his dress clothes for dinner on the plane, I have a top to go with the tube skirt, matching shoes on the plane, change of underwear, beach footwear, essential medications, health and beauty aids (toothbrushes, etc), first aid kit, all travel size. Bare essentials in case the other suitcase is delayed.

Then in checked baggage, couple of pairs of shorts and tops each, another set of dress clothes for dining, extra swimsuit, beachbag, extra underwear. Room for bringing back that amazing Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

We tan for a month before going. Sunblock issue solved.

I get my hair braided first morning. Hair issue solved.

Relax the rest of the day.

Repeat.

Ink pens for the customs forms are a good idea and beach towel clips are nice. Binoculars maybe.

Keep it simple, it's a vacation, not a marathon packing and unpacking contest.

Great thread. One suggestion is to pack a Leatherman multi-tool.

Nothing to add but noticed that this thread is over 4 years old and almost 192,000 views... Great thread!

Can't resist posting. We have been to CTI (2007) once and CSS (2008, 2009) twice. We took a small Jamaica break to visit some other islands, but we will be at CSA this October! My list has many repeats, but the items that I find critical.

First Aid Kit- antihistamine (Benedryl), anti-inflammatory pain killers (Aleve, ibuprofen), cold meds (tussin, Sudafed), antacid (Pepto pills), Neosporin/Bactrin, Band-aids, hydrocortisone, hand sanitizer
    Waterproof Sunblock - LOTS of it, 50+ SPF under the palapa and I still freckle like a mad woman
    Spray sunblock - for your head/hair part for those that don't like always having a hat on
    Topical scented lip balm with sunscreen - Best. Stuff. Ever.
    Dark sunglasses - for when you still want to see during that midday sun
    Rashguard and board shorts - we ladies end up getting a lot more "exposure" in our normal suits than the guys. For snorkeling or just when you are sunned out for the day but still want to be in the water, these are awesome. I've brought them on every beach trip for the last 6 years and get a lot of use out of them.
    Bug spray - had one bad night out once. I will not forget it again!

Small bills - lots of $1, $5 and $10 bills for tipping the drivers and tour guides
    Beach bag - crazy useful for the beach
    Camera - your friends will thank you. I have my beach shots rotating as my work laptop background, and my co-workers like to stop by and drool at them
    Random Book - I love chatting, napping on the beach, or staring at the waves, but I loved reading Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw while under the palapa. I purchased it last minute in Newark and returned on the way home for 50% back!

Less clothes, 3 or 4 swimsuits - they will dry after about two days. Bring a plastic bag for the trip home. Gentlemen, remember those slacks and close toe shoes! My husband loves an excuse for his Hawaiian shirts. Leave some extra room in one of suitcases for presents for those that didn't get to come with you. And rum. And rum cream.
    Cross-pack - some of your clothes in his bag, his in yours, and at least a day's worth (+swimsuits) in a carry on
    Conditioner and pony tail holders - When on vacation, my hair do gets minimal time from me

And seriously, a photocopy of each of your passports in the luggage. And leave one and your itenirary with family/friends back home. Always better safe than sorry.

And always travel with a blue or black pen. How else will you do the crossword puzzle on the plane??

77 days til CSA!

I saw this listed in here but never saw an answer. The last time we were there we saw balconies decorated with lights. I thought it would be cool to do this on our next trip. Can anyone share how they hung the lights on their balcony? Thanks
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

Going to CSA in Negril in August and was considering bringing a travel power strip with a 3 prong plug. Will this work in the rooms?

This thread has really helped my compile my list. Thanks to all

Hi Scott. We decorated our balcony with white christmas lights when were there to be married April 2013. We simply strung them through the balcony railing. I wrapped them along the top first and then went back, making "Vs" throught he verticle railing. It gave the balcony a sweet ambiance. I've seen people spell out One Love with rope lights. That was pretty cool too.

Wow... so many great ideas.. following this page for our trip to CTI in Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I saw this listed in here but never saw an answer. The last time we were there we saw balconies decorated with lights. I thought it would be cool to do this on our next trip. Can anyone share how they hung the lights on their balcony? Thanks
    We did this with the little peel and stick removable hooks and some battery powered colored lights. It was simple but we got a lot of positive comments.

S/F
    Scott and June

Not sure that anyone will ever see this, but....

I DID take a leave in conditioner; however, it wasn't until the last two days that I figured out what I should have done the whole trip.

I have thick hair with a good natural wavy curl. The salt water, chlorine pool water, and sun dried it out severely. The conditioning shampoo and leave in after washing wasn't cutting it. I would HIGHLY recommend putting the leave in conditioner in your hair and braid or pull it back during the day while you're at the beach, diving, snorkeling, etc. It made it soooooo much easier to comb out when I got my shower before dinner. All the other days I struggled to get my hair ties out because my hair was so crispy dry.

As a note, I only blow dry straightened my hair. Seriously, just don't bother. Mind stayed nice long enough for a photo at Feathers, and by the time we got back to the room it was starting to poofy.

Hope this helps someone!
    ~ashley

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    We did this with the little peel and stick removable hooks and some battery powered colored lights. It was simple but we got a lot of positive comments.

S/F
    Scott and June
    Perfect. Do you recall how much use you got out of the battery powered lights? One set last the trip or did you take extra batteries?
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

[QUOTE=Rob & Helena;221670]Great thread. One suggestion is to pack a Leatherman multi-tool.[/QUO

I alway carry my Leatherman and flashlight wherever I go. I never used the Leatherman the whole week I was there. No big deal, right? I placed both the flashlight and Leatherman in my checked luggage for the return trip home. When we got home....NO Leatherman or flashlight. I guess it was just to easy for the Jamaican version of the TSA to pocket my stuff. I'm guessing that if you secured them somehow in your checked bag it could be done but I won't be taking the chance this time as I didnt really need it.

34 more days 'till CSA

Perfect. Do you recall how much use you got out of the battery powered lights? One set last the trip or did you take extra batteries?
    They used AAA batteries and I brought a bunch of extras. Made sure my flashlight used the same batteries, along with the "OFF" personal bug fans that my wife likes. Whenever I have traveled with battery powered stuff I do everything possible to make sure everything uses the same size.

S/F
    Scott and June

Skybox, if you would take a power strip to a US hotel, take one to Jamaica. Outlets are about as common as what you'd find elsewhere, so we like being able to set a strip up in a convenient place to charge our phones (which double as our cameras and music) and my laptop. Sometimes it's not even the extra outlets so much as the extra cord length.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    They used AAA batteries and I brought a bunch of extras. Made sure my flashlight used the same batteries, along with the "OFF" personal bug fans that my wife likes. Whenever I have traveled with battery powered stuff I do everything possible to make sure everything uses the same size.

S/F
    Scott and June
    Perfect. I am thinking about bringing some rechargeables and a small charger. Once Christmas rolls around I will grab a set of lights and see how they work. I am doing this and my wife thinks I am nuts. Oh well.
    Scott & Becca
    Houston
    Caffreys Photography

Perfect. I am thinking about bringing some rechargeables and a small charger. Once Christmas rolls around I will grab a set of lights and see how they work. I am doing this and my wife thinks I am nuts. Oh well.
    If you can find LED lights, they take significantly less power so the batteries will in turn last much longer. More expensive and a little harder to find however.

S/F
    Scott and June

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast