Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 558

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29

    Default The "I wish I would have thought of that" thread

    Have you been to Couples in the past and seen something that someone else had brought with them and thought "I wish I would have thought of that"? For example, we throw in a dozen or so of the Crystal Light type drink pouches that are made to mix with a bottle of water for those times when you're not ready for alcohol and soda just doesn't sound good. We always have people tell us they wish they would have thought of that. Any other ideas out there?

  2. #2

    Default

    Packs of pocket-sized wet wipes. Don't leave home without them.
    Wendy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Dicapac cover for your digital camera. It is a waterproof plastic casing that keeps your camera clean and dry, so there is no need for disposable underwater cameras! Check out www.dicapac.com or you can find them on Ebay!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Some great stuff!! Thanks all. The waterproof camera cover made me think of one, we have one of the medium size water-proof bags that are sold primarily for canoers. It is great to pack up the things we will tak to the beach (or CTI island if you're so inclined) like camera, books, cigarettes, etc. in case we get caught in the rain. This folds up flat and easily fits in a suitcase.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szap View Post
    Some great stuff!! Thanks all. The waterproof camera cover made me think of one, we have one of the medium size water-proof bags that are sold primarily for canoers. It is great to pack up the things we will tak to the beach (or CTI island if you're so inclined) like camera, books, cigarettes, etc. in case we get caught in the rain. This folds up flat and easily fits in a suitcase.

    Great ideal. I brought mine this past May and used it for Dunn's River.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Boy I wish I'd seen that link for the UW camera case before. They have an excellnt one for my Canon powershot that I located for 54.00. That's a sweet price. We bought a cheep digital camera and Underwater case for 50. recently (Good to 50 ft)....wish I hadn't now.
    Anyone wanna buy an UW camera? Make me an offer.Here is the same one on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/VuPoint-DC-ST5...6291361&sr=8-1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29

    Default

    NeedBlueWater thanks so much for the reminder on the ink pens, how true it is!!! Also, got the zip locks ready to go!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,250

    Default

    Bring extra hangers for the room, especially if you are staying more than a week. Although there are about 10 hangers in the room, that's not enough if you have dresses, skirts, slacks and tops.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23

    Default UW Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by The2ofus View Post
    Boy I wish I'd seen that link for the UW camera case before. They have an excellnt one for my Canon powershot that I located for 54.00. That's a sweet price. We bought a cheep digital camera and Underwater case for 50. recently (Good to 50 ft)....wish I hadn't now.
    Anyone wanna buy an UW camera? Make me an offer.Here is the same one on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/VuPoint-DC-ST5...6291361&sr=8-1
    Tell me how much you want for it. I am heading to CSA Sept 27th. I think that is something I could use. Let me know or call me 845-222-0904 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting845-222-0904end_of_the_skype_highlighting...Thanks, Kevin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aurxdoc05 View Post
    Dicapac cover for your digital camera. It is a waterproof plastic casing that keeps your camera clean and dry, so there is no need for disposable underwater cameras! Check out www.dicapac.com or you can find them on Ebay!
    Does the plastic interfere with the picture quality?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default Dicapac

    I have not noticed any difference in picture quality when using the Dicapac. These pictures were taken with the Dicapac casing on the camera. The only thing you have to be aware of is making sure that camera is lined up appropriately so you don't get any black in the corners of your photos (as in the last one here).
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aurxdoc05 View Post
    I have not noticed any difference in picture quality when using the Dicapac. These pictures were taken with the Dicapac casing on the camera. The only thing you have to be aware of is making sure that camera is lined up appropriately so you don't get any black in the corners of your photos (as in the last one here).
    Thank you so, so much for sharing your pictures and experience. I will definitely get one for our next trip. The cost is the same as the disposables plus film developing, but the picture quality is much better.

  13. #13

    Default things we learned after 7 trips

    Like all the others we have learned to bring the plastic bags, medicine, etc. etc.
    One thing we do, I do not know if the resort really approves of is:

    We personally do not like to sleep with the air con on, we want to hear the tree frogs, breeze, and ocean. However, how to open the patio type doors and not get eaten alive by bugs.

    Last year I purchased a large piece of bug netting on the internet for about $20.00. every evening we open the doors all the way up, hang the nice white bug netting and are able to sleep very comfortably without any bugs in the room.

    One upgrade i would love to see CN make is to add screen doors to the patio doors for just this purpose.

  14. #14

    Default

    szap,
    I'm trying to avoid that. I will be a first timer in Oct., and I have no idea what prepare for. I just know I made the right decision to pick Couples. I keep a Couples notebook by my computer, and keep a list of good suggestions, like yours. So, please keep them comming. I'm trying to give my bride the time of her life. Thank You. Jonathan&Nikki (Martinsburg,WV)

  15. #15

    Default Honeymoon wish I would have thought of that thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutdog View Post
    szap,
    I'm trying to avoid that. I will be a first timer in Oct., and I have no idea what prepare for. I just know I made the right decision to pick Couples. I keep a Couples notebook by my computer, and keep a list of good suggestions, like yours. So, please keep them comming. I'm trying to give my bride the time of her life. Thank You. Jonathan&Nikki (Martinsburg,WV)
    We were there for our honeymoon in June. Extras that I had to have and things I wish I would have brought.

    No new shoes- break in all of the new shoes your going to wear!!! Nothing worse than having blisters in salt water.

    Chocolate from the states- their chocolate is not the same as ours.

    Premium lotion for your sunburn- I brought a really good repair lotion from home knowing how burnt I would get.

    First aid kit- this is a just in case kit that contains a good pain killer ( emergency tooth ache) bug bite spray, benadryl, ibuprofen, exederine migraine ( works best for hangovers) tweezers, and an extra contraceptive device just in case

    Snug water shoes- for the falls

    Extra sunscreen- your gonna need it. Bring one more bottle than you will think you need. Waterproof not just water resistant.

    A two person towel- nights on the beach are great with a big two person towel, two glasses of champagne, and your new bride. You can also set this up for a picnic on your balcony with room service.

    Skin so soft or bug spray- eating outdoors in a tropical zone leads to bug . Sand fleas also come out at night so just spray your dress, pants, legs before you leave the room at night and all is erie.

    Insulated mugs with closing lids- mixologists have no problem filling them btw

    Bendy straws that will fit into your insulated mugs!

    Scented candles- that were tropical flavored that we could by at home.( I am a grad of psychology and triggers ( such as scents) can bring back memories. We took a bunch of the same scented candles from home to scent the nights we came back to our room. Now at home in Iowa when I light the same scented candles it brings back many good memories.)

    Long sleeved heat gear under armor shirt- We are both very white and no amount of sunscreen will protect our fair skin from getting burned while down there. We stayed in the shade alot and when we went snorkeling we wished we would have brought with us the shirts to protect our skin while floating around. The sunscreen can kill the coral and in some places they ask you to put it on around 1 hour or more before you go out to snorkel.

    Gallon zip lock baggies. To bring home rum cream or sandy shoes or wet clothes.

    2 baseball hats- Again we are super pale.

    Jeans and tennis shoes ( I brought ones to leave there they were old) in case you want to horseback ride. This is now an extra charge though. They did away with the free horseback riding I think.

    2 pairs mirrored sunglasses each- this way if you want to go to the AN beach no one will see you looking

    Do try the CSS AN beach. The beach on the AN side is georgous and you can find a private spot for just you two under a hut. It was the most exciting and scarriest thing we did while in Jamaica and we did it all!! Just go be by yourselves and enjoy each other!

    One extra thing that we wished we would have done while we were on our honeymoon is something extra special like swim with the dolphins ( I talked with one new bride and she was glowing with excitement afterwards) or a private dinner on the beach or perhaps bring her something not expensive but special from the states. (I got my husband a special piece of jewlery and gave it to him on the beach at night while we were walking). The reason I say this is because you may come back next year for your one year anniversary like we are and your honeymoon needs to have an extra special something.

    If you have any questions feel free to get a ahold of us. We did almost everything and we have stayed at CTI and CSA and day tripped CSS.

    Brian and Chris,
    CTI,CSA- June 2011
    CTI - July 2012

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    228

    Default

    On a similar note to Earthbiscuit's, you might consider the small packets of Woolite, Shout spot cleaning wipes, and similar cleaning items you might find in a travel aisle of a Target or similar store.

    It's not designed for cleaning all your clothes (hey, you're on vacation!), but if you have that one item you just have to wear again and you got a stain on it or need to do a hand wash, that stuff works pretty well in a sink.

  17. #17

    Default

    With questions like this, I always recommend a couple of ink pens (blue or black) in your carry on. You'll need them to fill out the customs/immigration paperwork on the plane. There never seem to be enough pens to go around.

    We also bring a few ziplock bags of various sizes (up to a gallon) Good to pack liquids/gels, like sun block, in them just incase of a leak. Also come in handy if your swim suit isn't quite dry before you have to pack for home. And keeps those sandy shoes from getting sand all over everything else in your suitcase.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedBlueWater View Post
    With questions like this, I always recommend a couple of ink pens (blue or black) in your carry on. You'll need them to fill out the customs/immigration paperwork on the plane. There never seem to be enough pens to go around..
    This is so true!! I always carry a pen. The last time I flew with US AIR to Jamaica they handed out forms and said "borrow a pen from your neighbor, we don't have any" and then at the end of the flight they handed out applications AND PENS to anyone interested in signing up for their US AIR Credit Card!! HAHA - so Yes - it's so much less stressful to have a pen - and bring a copy of your flight itinerary and keep it accessible on the plane - sometimes it's hard to understand when they annouce flight numbers, etc.. for the forms.

    JUMPINJEN - I never thought to bring a beer cozie - that's such a good idea - plus when those little bups condensate, they get covered in sand - the cozie would help with that and getting them to stand up in the sand if you don't get a table..

    BLONDIE - I am also too lazy to sit up for my drink!! I wish I would have thought about that last time! But I will remember when I go down next week to CSA!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    336

    Default

    I wish I would have thought about 100% DEET, bugs got me good. I had Deep woods and it wasnt enough.

    My boyfriend wished he would have brought another can of snuff due to a can at resort is 17 dollars and he only brought one.

    I wished I would have not brought so much, too many shoes, and I wished I would have brought am underwater camera.

    Everything else they help you with if you do not have it so no worries man, dont stress about it, but be careful we paid 50 bucks more coming back due to I bought heavy stuff and it put me over 50lbs. OUCH...

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeinpenn View Post
    ...Everything else they help you with if you do not have it so no worries man, dont stress about it, but be careful we paid 50 bucks more coming back due to I bought heavy stuff and it put me over 50lbs. OUCH...
    In order to ensure that our bags are evenly distributed and don't get over 50lbs, we bring a lightweight fishing scale that goes up to 50 lbs, as well as an empty duffle or beach bag. We weigh our luggage before we go home, and if we are over 50lbs on each suitcase (or 40lbs for some flights), we can just toss the extra weight into the duffle bag and bring it on as a carry-on

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janeinpenn View Post
    I wish I would have thought about 100% DEET, bugs got me good. I had Deep woods and it wasnt enough.

    My boyfriend wished he would have brought another can of snuff due to a can at resort is 17 dollars and he only brought one.

    I wished I would have not brought so much, too many shoes, and I wished I would have brought am underwater camera.

    Everything else they help you with if you do not have it so no worries man, dont stress about it, but be careful we paid 50 bucks more coming back due to I bought heavy stuff and it put me over 50lbs. OUCH...
    Is it possible to mail stuff back to the USA?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog View Post
    Is it possible to mail stuff back to the USA?
    It probably is, but unless you have a TON of stuff, it will probably be much cheaper to pay the over-the-weight limit fee.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog View Post
    Is it possible to mail stuff back to the USA?
    Yes, but international shipping isn't very cheap and you'll have to fill out a customs form for the contents.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

    CB - 2015


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default Be very careful

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog View Post
    Is it possible to mail stuff back to the USA?
    It is possible to ship things back to the US, but I do not recommend it. Last September while we were there for our 1st anniversary, my husband purchased a large fish carving from the craft market. The resort had told us to call DHL to arrange pick up. The courier came and had us fill out some forms, he also requested a photo copy of my husband's license and front and back of his credit card. This was late Friday afternoon, we returned Sunday. By Monday morning Walmart fraud center was calling my husband to verify an order placed on his credit card. Apparently DHL works along with a smaller shipping company that has an office in Miami. That's where the person was located that was trying to use his card. We will never attempt to ship anything home ever again. If it doesn't fit in a bag or we can't carry it on, it doesn't go.

    Hope this helps,

    TS

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Bring a collapsible suitcase/bag for extras you accumulate on your trip

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •