Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by szap View Post
    Have you been to Couples in the past and seen something that someone else had brought with them and thought "I wish I would have thought of that"? For example, we throw in a dozen or so of the Crystal Light type drink pouches that are made to mix with a bottle of water for those times when you're not ready for alcohol and soda just doesn't sound good. We always have people tell us they wish they would have thought of that. Any other ideas out there?
    szap, Thank you so much for starting this thread! :0) I have already gotten a few add-ons for my packing list from reading through everyones replies. So... I should be saying THANKS TO ALL for all of your tips! 65 Days to go.... YEAY! :0) Hope everyone has a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeandrr View Post
    I was ticked the TSA took our lighters/matches.....jerks
    As hubby said, it's like arguing w/ an umpire...lol
    LOL! That's the perfect analogy! Fortunately, the lighters and matches are easy to get a hold of at the resorts.

Bumping this back up to the top!

Default Honeymoon wish I would have thought of that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutdog View Post
    szap,
    I'm trying to avoid that. I will be a first timer in Oct., and I have no idea what prepare for. I just know I made the right decision to pick Couples. I keep a Couples notebook by my computer, and keep a list of good suggestions, like yours. So, please keep them comming. I'm trying to give my bride the time of her life. Thank You. Jonathan&Nikki (Martinsburg,WV)
    We were there for our honeymoon in June. Extras that I had to have and things I wish I would have brought.

No new shoes- break in all of the new shoes your going to wear!!! Nothing worse than having blisters in salt water.

Chocolate from the states- their chocolate is not the same as ours.

Premium lotion for your sunburn- I brought a really good repair lotion from home knowing how burnt I would get.

First aid kit- this is a just in case kit that contains a good pain killer ( emergency tooth ache) bug bite spray, benadryl, ibuprofen, exederine migraine ( works best for hangovers) tweezers, and an extra contraceptive device just in case

Snug water shoes- for the falls

Extra sunscreen- your gonna need it. Bring one more bottle than you will think you need. Waterproof not just water resistant.

A two person towel- nights on the beach are great with a big two person towel, two glasses of champagne, and your new bride. You can also set this up for a picnic on your balcony with room service.

Skin so soft or bug spray- eating outdoors in a tropical zone leads to bug . Sand fleas also come out at night so just spray your dress, pants, legs before you leave the room at night and all is erie.

Insulated mugs with closing lids- mixologists have no problem filling them btw

Bendy straws that will fit into your insulated mugs!

Scented candles- that were tropical flavored that we could by at home.( I am a grad of psychology and triggers ( such as scents) can bring back memories. We took a bunch of the same scented candles from home to scent the nights we came back to our room. Now at home in Iowa when I light the same scented candles it brings back many good memories.)

Long sleeved heat gear under armor shirt- We are both very white and no amount of sunscreen will protect our fair skin from getting burned while down there. We stayed in the shade alot and when we went snorkeling we wished we would have brought with us the shirts to protect our skin while floating around. The sunscreen can kill the coral and in some places they ask you to put it on around 1 hour or more before you go out to snorkel.

Gallon zip lock baggies. To bring home rum cream or sandy shoes or wet clothes.

2 baseball hats- Again we are super pale.

Jeans and tennis shoes ( I brought ones to leave there they were old) in case you want to horseback ride. This is now an extra charge though. They did away with the free horseback riding I think.

2 pairs mirrored sunglasses each- this way if you want to go to the AN beach no one will see you looking

Do try the CSS AN beach. The beach on the AN side is georgous and you can find a private spot for just you two under a hut. It was the most exciting and scarriest thing we did while in Jamaica and we did it all!! Just go be by yourselves and enjoy each other!

One extra thing that we wished we would have done while we were on our honeymoon is something extra special like swim with the dolphins ( I talked with one new bride and she was glowing with excitement afterwards) or a private dinner on the beach or perhaps bring her something not expensive but special from the states. (I got my husband a special piece of jewlery and gave it to him on the beach at night while we were walking). The reason I say this is because you may come back next year for your one year anniversary like we are and your honeymoon needs to have an extra special something.

If you have any questions feel free to get a ahold of us. We did almost everything and we have stayed at CTI and CSA and day tripped CSS.

Brian and Chris,
    CTI,CSA- June 2011
    CTI - July 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Seandymon View Post
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you know, as I have been seeing a lot of discussion about bringing mugs,etc. in this thread. It is Couples Resorts policy to only serve drinks in glasses and cups supplied by the resorts. If bartenders are caught pouring into non-couples mugs they will get in trouble. So, please leave these at home, there is really no need for them.
    Cups are too small is the only constant complaint I have heard. Too bad we can't use our own. But it is clear ther is a need for them =(

Is the sand in the water at csa soft? does my husband need watershoes. mexico was terrible, and we dont want another one of those experiences! We don't plan on visiting the falls if that helps. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt and Lisa View Post
    Is the sand in the water at csa soft? does my husband need watershoes. mexico was terrible, and we dont want another one of those experiences! We don't plan on visiting the falls if that helps. Thanks!
    The sand in Negril is powdery soft, so you will be fine there.

Also, I saw your note about the cups. We used to take insulated mugs to every AI we went to, but while some people do like them, they're totally unnecessary at Couples. For the amount of room they take up in the suitcase, they're not really worth it.

Matt & Lisa....

The sand is soft, soft, soft at CSA. It's very fine, and feels great on your feet. It's the softest sand I've had under my feet. I used reef shoes some as I was on crutches after having cast removed from an ankle. It also means the sand is so fine that it will follow you into your room!

Don't that dissuade you though, the staff there is excellent about taking care of the rooms and it wasn't an issue for us.

Enjoy and Safe Travels!

I read that someone brought along their own snorkel masks. Does c
    ouples provide masks for use outside a "group" event?

So, after reading this thread and making lots of notes, then going to CN, I can tell you a couple things we DIDN'T need

I shouldn't have brought my water shoes. Absolutely NO need for shoes on the beach at CN and flip flops or sandals were great for everywhere else.

I brought a small soft sided cooler (someone had mentioned that was great for packing beer etc, from the mini bar and taking to the beach). They only put two beers in the mini mar and they are El Carib, which we didn't care for and two beers aren't going to last long anyway, and not really worth lugging a cooler around. Plus, they don't have any bottled water in the mini bar (or anywhere else). The soda's in the cooler are glass bottles (most of them), so not a good idea on the beach. So, really should have left the cooler at home.

I did bring an insulated mug though, which was great. Mine is double wall insulated with an attached straw and it floats. So I would just order a couple drinks from the bar and fill up my mug and we'd grab a floatie and head for the water.

We DID need extra sunscreen. We brought some spf 15 because we live in Texas and spend every weekend at the river so were already pretty tan, but that still doesn't cut it when you're spending that much time in direct sun. So even if you're already tan, pack some extra 50+ sunscreen, just in case. My hubby started getting sunburned on his shoulders after about the 3rd day. My lower back started burning on about the 5th day. You don't want to have to buy the spf 50 at the gift shop. It was $25!! Also bring some Aloe Vera for the sunburn you didn't expect to get.

If you are one who curls and/or flat irons your hair - bring an extension cord. No outlets in the bathroom (building code I'm sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt and Lisa View Post
    I read that someone brought along their own snorkel masks. Does c
    ouples provide masks for use outside a "group" event?
    Yes, they provide masks and snorkels.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    If you are one who curls and/or flat irons your hair - bring an extension cord. No outlets in the bathroom (building code I'm sure)
    Which Couples don't have outlets in the bathrooms? They had them at CSS (at least in our room they did). Going to CTI in 2 weeks (YEAY!) and NEED my hairdryer! Thanks, Lori

Remember to bring some lip balm with SPF. Really need that. We have brought our own beach towels which helps you find you chair quickly. Going bak to CSA in March- can't wait.

Bump

One thing I now bring on every tropical vacation is asprin. Awhile ago I read that asprin can reduce the inflammation and pain of a sunburn. My husband is fair skinned and would often get a painful burn despite using sunscreen. Now I carry asprin in my beach bag. He takes two asprin after a couple of hours in the sun and another two 4-6 hours later. (Some websites say to take 2 asprin every 4 hours until bedtime.) Since he has started doing this, he has not had a painful burn. The key is to start taking the asprin as soon as you suspect you may have a sunburn. If you wait too long, this treatment won't be effective.

The other thing that I always take with me is a couple of plastic bottles. As others have stated, you can carry empty bottles through airport security. I then fill the bottle with water for the flight. I also take gatorade packets. Every day I fill my bottles with water and add the gatorade. I take these to the beach to help me to stay hydrated. I learned my lesson the hard way on my first trip to CN. I played beach volleyball followed by several drinks at the pool bar, including a Bob Marley. I then spent time in the hot tub. The result of that was dehydration and a missed dinner. Now I try to take in plenty of non alcoholic fluids along with the alcoholic ones.

All of these suggestions are so helpful!

I just ordered our Tervas insulated cups today! I'm so excited to get them in time for our CN trip at New Years. I will surprise my husband with his special cup in his stocking for Christmas. Now that CN doesn't provide bottled water and only has water stations, these cups should be a great "extra" to bring along since they will keep water colder longer and also keep the sand out.

Something we always bring along are cozies for cold beer and those icy cocktails on the beach. The cozies really help to maintain the ice in those blended drinks, otherwise, you have to drink them too quickly

I also find that Avon Skin So Soft lotion works like a charm to prevent bug bites, and bugs LOVE me.

Don't get this cozies thing...my drinks never last long enough to get warm....

Quote Originally Posted by Caznsi View Post
    Don't get this cozies thing...my drinks never last long enough to get warm....
    For us, the cozies keep your hands dry and keep sand off of your cup.

small bills 100 1s 100 in 5s 100 in 10s so you dont have to wrry about making change and can tip drivers, caddies, etc...
    Randi & Sherri
    (Pork Chop)

Just got back from 8 amazing days a CSS - wish I had remembered
    bubble wrap - to pack our gifts & booze
    extra hangers - cheap ones to leave behind
    soap/shampoo - the stuff in the showers is not great - we bought some at the gift shop
    Extra bathing suit(brought 2, wanted 3)
    less clothing - brought a ton back unworn

Things I brought that I am so thankful for:
    Dicapac - waterproof camera bag! used it several times and not a drop of water
    Dicapac - for iphone and ipad - help keep them safe on the beach and by the pool
    small change 50 $1's & 20 $5's
    coozies were nice so that they drinks don't sweat - we gave ours to a local when we left and they loved it
    snack food - trail mix, granola bars, peanuts - great snack on the beach when you dont want a meal
    Zantac - some spice food down there
    Bose NC headphones - the peace and quiet on the flight home and bus ride made them worth every penny

My wife and I had an amazing time and can't wait to come back, the staff is amazing! Chadrick, Duane & Sherryanne - thank you for making our trip that much better!

A few cheap ideas for UK based folk...
    Wind up torches, Waterproof Ziplock type bags, Waterproof Verlcro seal bags...these can all be found in most "Pound Shops" that litter our high streets.
    Last edited by Caznsi; December 29th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Greatest. Thread. Ever.

Are watershoes needed for the beaches at CSS? Don't plan on going to Dunn's River, just for the beach and the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by DespyMic View Post
    Greatest. Thread. Ever.

Are watershoes needed for the beaches at CSS? Don't plan on going to Dunn's River, just for the beach and the sea.
    ......Definitely. The beach under the water has a "Mucky" feel.

Love, love, love this thread! So many good ideas! Just a couple of things that I learned from my two Couples vacations...first, I needed more swimsuit cover ups than I thought I would. I way overacked both times, but I wish I would have brought more swim suit cover ups both times. Lip balm with sunscreen. I just brought my regular lip balm the first time and ended up buying a lip balm with a higher spf because my lips got so dry/sunburned and that worked way better. Also, we always bring our travel cribbage board and a deck of cards. Then when it rains in the afternoon we just head over to the beach bar, sit under the cover and play cribbage and have some drinks until it stops raining.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast