Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Conditioner for your hair (its not supplied). Bug spray (esp for the evenings down by the beach). I wish I'd brought more cover-ups, but I bought a sarong in the gift shop and it did pretty well all week. I agree w/ bringing a watch. It's nice to have on the beach. Bring a book for the rainy periods maybe. I brought 2 waterproof cameras and ended up buying a 3rd in the gift shop. At home they were $9, in the gift shop $22 - so you may want to bring 1 more than you think you need.

Things we cannot live without in Jamaica:

* sun screen - we plan on one can for every two days we are there. Seriously, the sun is STRONG in Jamaica, and each time we go we end up meeting at least a few couples with severe sunburn. It is better to take too much than to have to buy more at the gift shop.

* bug spray - just for the evenings. The bugs are not always bad, and sometimes never bother you at all. But if they do happen to be around the week you visit, you will be happy to have the bug spray.

* benedryl - good for any type of allergic reaction, including bug bites

* iPod *and* iPod Charger

* Sunglasses and Lip Balm with Sunscreen

Someone had recommended bringing a beach bag so you can put all of your things in it while at the pool or ocean. It was a great idea. I put my book, watch, camera, suntan lotion, sunglass case, straws, etc. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by aurxdoc05 View Post
    I have not noticed any difference in picture quality when using the Dicapac. These pictures were taken with the Dicapac casing on the camera. The only thing you have to be aware of is making sure that camera is lined up appropriately so you don't get any black in the corners of your photos (as in the last one here).
    Thank you so, so much for sharing your pictures and experience. I will definitely get one for our next trip. The cost is the same as the disposables plus film developing, but the picture quality is much better.

I love the idea of the netting!! We also take the meds, zip locks, beach bag. We take a bunch of bubble wrap as well. It's light, and doesn't take up much room and then we can wrap our rum and breakables in it for the way home. Never had a broken bottle yet

You know what... Ketchup. Those of you that have been there know exactly what I'm talking about.

I actually like Jamaican ketchup. It's not bad, just different.

Default Ketchup?

Please elaborate on the ketchup. I'm a huge fan and that is something I dreadfully fear I would have assumed???

The ketchup is alot milder and sweeter than what we have in the States. If you are a major ketchup fan and have to have it, you may want to make a stop at McD's to collect a few packages to take with you. Again, it's not bad, just different.

The ketchup is way sweeter, and thinner than we are used to here in the states. My husband hated it. I don't ever use it so it didn't bother me one bit LOL

Jamaican ketchup is different. Not the same spices added etc. I like it too. In fact dh bought me 2 bottles mail order for Christmas .

Great thread! Thanks for starting it and for all of the great ideas. I don't remember running out of sunscreen the last couple of times, but I appreciate the tip to bring extra! And the reminder about the ketchup (I had forgotten!). We will be back at CTI on Saturday, and I'm almost jumping out of my seat!

I am a person who can't sleep without a fan. The silence is too loud. If you are like me, you know what I mean. Since a 20" box fan does not fit well in my suitcase I bring a small sound machine. It is great for traveling.
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

My boyfriend and I went to CSS last year and brought CDS with us to listen to at night, or while getting ready. I believe most of the rooms come with CD players. I like to make a Jamaican mix of songs too.

I would be very careful of the plastic case that goes over the camera. I use to own one and so did a friend and they are not as waterproof as they may advertise. Lost all the pictures of the vacation. It might be an isolated case but I would suggest buying the Olympus underwater camera. Best investment I have made. No worries around the pool or ocean and covered by the warranty if it does leak. Most of the plastic cases are not made by the manufacturer so the camera is not covered if it leaks. Here is the link

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1448

We bring our own insulated travel mugs when we're laying out since the resort's cups are the small plastic ones. They keep your drinks cool and ice doesn't melt as fast. Also, we bring cheap "blow up" floats to float in the ocean and then leave them with some other guests upon check out. It makes their day ..

Default UW Camera Question

What if you dive deeper than 33 feet? What UW camera does everyone use?

Quote Originally Posted by JSTONE1973 View Post
    I am a person who can't sleep without a fan. The silence is too loud. If you are like me, you know what I mean.
    Couldn't you just leave your patio doors open & be serenaded to sleep by the tree frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlover View Post
    Also, we bring cheap "blow up" floats to float in the ocean and then leave them with some other guests upon check out. It makes their day ..
    Why do you need to bring floaties when you can use the lounger cushions? I thought those were GREAT!

FlynnStone - LOVE your name! Yaba Daba Doo!!!

Do you pour the drinks into the mugs? I heard you were not allowed to use them. I hope we can use the mugs. I have wherever we have gone.
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

I used to pack our shoes in large gallon flat bottom zipper bags but I don't think they make them anymore. (I can't find them in Wisconsin anyway). Now I save the zipper bags that sheets sets come in and they are perfect for packing shoes. I can fit 2 pair in a bag and put them in the bottom of my suitcase with the clothes on top. I also use them to carry the school supplies that I donate to the resort sponsored schools and on the trip home I use them to store souvenirs.

I concur with the drink koozies, they are great! Also, on our last trip with another couple, we brought our dice cup and dice and it was a HUGE hit! The Couples floaties make the perfect floating "table" for playing bar dice while hanging out in the pool (or in the hot tubs)! As a bonus, we made LOTS of new friends as people were always coming over to find out what we were doing, and then would almost always join in for a few rounds! We ended-up staying up until 3 AM on our last night drinking and playing bar dice at the beach grill with a couple from Texas that we met earlier in the week when we were playing in the pool. It was a great way to end a perfect week in paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by texanagg View Post
    I would be very careful of the plastic case that goes over the camera. I use to own one and so did a friend and they are not as waterproof as they may advertise. Most of the plastic cases are not made by the manufacturer so the camera is not covered if it leaks.
    It is true that the camera is not covered under warranty if something happens and it gets wet. We have had our DicaPac for almost 4 years and have used it at least a dozen times (with 2 different cameras) without any problems, but I test it before every use to ensure that everything is still intact. I do this by putting a paper towel or toilet paper in the case, closing it as instructed, and submerging it into a tub (or sink) of water for several minutes. If there is no sign of water leakage (and there hasn't been so far...but I will continue to test each time!) then I trust it with my camera. In general, the underwater casings made by the specific camera manufacturer probably would be a better option, but the units for our specific cameras would cost more than the camera itself did. I have been very satisfied with my DicaPac purchase and results. Although, my next camera will be one like the Olympus Stylus 1030SW that is waterproof to begin with! You just have to have a camera to take in the water with you while in Jamaica!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlover View Post
    We bring our own insulated travel mugs when we're laying out since the resort's cups are the small plastic ones. They keep your drinks cool and ice doesn't melt as fast. Also, we bring cheap "blow up" floats to float in the ocean and then leave them with some other guests upon check out. It makes their day ..
    In addition to the travel mugs, we bring food storage containers (smallest size available). We fill them with water and freeze them in the room fridge over night. One of the containers makes a good sized ice cube for your drink. It will last you well past the time when the beach bar opens.

We also bring tea light candles for "mood" lighting in our room or balcony.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast