Thread: Tipping

Default Tipping

Hello all!
    I just want to get clarification on tipping. I am aware of the NO TIPPING policy, but i have seen other threads talking about gifts. How do you present them to the staff? DO they think its odd when you give them this?? I would like to bring them small tokens of my appreciation but want to do it on a manner that is accepted. Thanks for any info!
    Nicole and Tom
    26 days!

NO TIPPING on the resort. Do tip the baggage handlers and bus drivers.

We bring chocolate and hand them out to the maids and turn down service.

Nicole742

You didn't mention if you have been to Couples yet or whether this is your first visit.

Do you have a specific staff member you wish to give a gift?

The best gift that you can give is remembering their name and commenting on the exit survey card.

Many of us who are repeat guests often bring to Jamaica little things from the USA. Chocolates, perfumes, body lotions or other feminine products are always welcomed by the staff ladies. Colognes, hats, T shirts and other manly things are always welcomed by the staff men.

Don't feel like you have to bring anything because it is not expected.

Trying to decide on gifts for the dive masters as we will be diving every day at CN. Was thinking about bringing t-shirts from our local dive shop but didn't know if that was appropriate or not? Also, how many? What about for others such as housekeeping, etc? If we bring along school supplies such as pencils, paper, colors, can someone at the resort get them to a local school? What other supplies would u bring for the school children?

I did not bring gifts our first time. We bring them for people we have come to know and appreciate. But if you want to bring small gifts you can give them at the end of your stay. To me, that's the most appropriate way. Or bring small things for children. ALWAYS appreciated...
    Also, be sure to name Staff members who were special to you on the Survey you will get the night before Checkout.

I have been wondering this very same thing. I would love to bring along some small gifts - great service and friendly faces definitely deserve recognition, after all. I just haven't been sure what is appropriate and what the staff would like!

Leanne

shelspaur, for dive staff bring dive equipment and gadgets as there is no way of getting this on the island. For example, slates to write on, caribeaners, scuba tools, whistles, tank bangers, sausages, knives, knit bags,gloves, etc etc!!!

Thanks everyone!
    I have never been to couples before but had read on other posts that people bring small gifts for the staff.
    25 days left !!!

" If we bring along school supplies such as pencils, paper, colors, can someone at the resort get them to a local school? What other supplies would u bring for the school children? "

Yes- or you can take them yourselves.
    The schools there need EVERYTHING.....the teachers are chipping in as much as they can but all of the things our kids take for granted are needed there.

So,then we dont tip even the waitresses and the waiters?Wont they find this rude?I want to know for sure,so the next time we go I will do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by michelley65 View Post
    So,then we dont tip even the waitresses and the waiters?Wont they find this rude?I want to know for sure,so the next time we go I will do it right.
    NO TIPPING any Couples staff.

No they don't because they know that if they take a tip they could loose their jobs. Seandymon added to another post on this topic earlier that they do test them from time to time, and the employee is to turn the tip into the management. The idea is to have an atmosphere where everyone is treated equally, and when tips are involved,lets face it, those who leave a bigger tip in most cases, would get better service, and Couples does not want that.
    Linda

The tips are figured in with their pay. The biggest tip you can give them is to get their name and write it on the comment card when you check out. Their raises and promotions are based on the comments they get from guests.

Like the others have said, they can get FIRED if they get caught accepting a tip.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

If you want to give them a really big tip, smile and tell them what good service they gave you. Then ask for their name and tell them you are going to put their name on the comment card!

They all wear name tags, but if you ask for their name, they will know you are "tipping" them.
    Last edited by Wally; November 20th, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Just to clarify,you shouldn't tip the baggage guy at the resort, only at the airport.We usually tip the bus driver 10 dollars p/p as they are getting us to paradise in one piece.You should tip the spa ladies as they are not Couples employees.But Nobody else! As stated above, comment cards are a great way to "tip".

It's a bit confusing with the spa staff - I've always tipped them and then I heard from management not to tip them. They've never turned me down so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them. Other clients have told me that they tip them also.

Yes, I've read the rules, but still feel uncomfortable not tipping them.

Any one else tipping the spa staff out there?

lpmp
    We have always Tipped Spa Staff also ( same rates as at home )...the FAQ's state clearly

• SPA and salon personnel – tipping is discretionary (not mandatory)"