Thread: Golfing?

Default Golfing?

We are planning our trip to CTI for march 17th-21st. Thinking about going golfing, my wife dosn't play but likes to ride.(golfcart) is this allowed and also do they have drinks on the course, alcohol. Thanks LuckMan.

Luckyman,
    You sure are lucky that your wife wants to go out on the course with you. I asked mine when we were there but she said and I quote, "are you nuts and miss out on sitting on the beach while sipping some cold drinks?" Anyway, I don't have direct knowledge as you can see but most courses will allow a non-player on the course for a small fee. Maybe just the caddy fee which ran about $15. My daughter and son in law are on their honeymoon at CTI right now and he played the course yesterday. I didn't get any word on how it went but my daughter e-mailed me and said he was tired. Hacking up the course will make take a lot out of ya in mid 80 deg weather...lol. All I know is when I played it six years ago we had a good time. The course isn't too hilly so my buddy and I walked with the caddies which was more fun than racing through the round on a cart. Yes as I recall they do have beer on the drink cart, not sure about any other type of alcoholic beverages though. If you really want to get the complete story I'm sure that you can e-mail or call the course. It's the S Golf course in Ocho Rios and it used to called the Upton G & CC. Google Upton Golf Course and you'll find a link to their site.
    Enjoy! Steve
    Enjoy!

It should be no problem. You may have to pay for a full cart, but that is it. Drinks, all types, they have a drink cart on the course. Drinks and food are not included when golfing.
    Irie Mon

Thanks for the info on the golf question. Yes i am a LuckyMan. Thanks again.

I'm afraid I'm with Noel Coward on this one - a good walk ruined ;-)

Seriously though golf is...well...golf! There are loads of other activities you could try that aren't normally available to you surely...crab racing, fishing, beach cricket...?

I too have a question on the golf... I have heard that the clubs available for rent at the Negril course are really bad, we are going with a group that includes four hackers and are planning on playing twice during our stay, should we haul our own clubs along ?

Quote Originally Posted by blueseagolf View Post
    I too have a question on the golf... I have heard that the clubs available for rent at the Negril course are really bad, we are going with a group that includes four hackers and are planning on playing twice during our stay, should we haul our own clubs along ?
    If they are truly hackers, then it really shouldn't make a difference whether or not the clubs are rental. Trust me, these are words from a certified hacker.

And therein lies our dilemma, as the better half and I are still not sure if we want to bring our clubs. Yes, you save some coin by bringing your own (assuming it's not costing you with the airline as extra baggage). And yes, playing with your own clubs will likely result in a better score than using rentals, even if the difference is minor.

But the flip side is there's that much more luggage to haul around, plus bringing the clubs almost mandates that we commit to playing - otherwise, why else bring them? And if we find that there is plenty to do besides golf, and from what I've read, there appears to be PLENTY to do, then it may turn into a situation where we're "forcing" ourselves to play. Of course I had to put that in quotes because as any golfer will attest, forcing oneself to play golf is kinda like being forced to order lobster with one's meal. Yeah, like what a drag, huh? LOL

Therefore, we may leave behind the clubs, but keep the option open of playing anyway - simply renting the clubs.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

I am lucky in that my wife loves to play golf with me. We play often here at home. We took our clubs when we went to CTI in 2005 and played twice and enjoyed it both times. We are going to CSS in Dec 2010 and unless something changes we are not going to take our clubs. By the time you pay the caddy, tips and drinks it just is not worth it for us. We feel we will want to enjoy the resort more. And now with most of the airlines charging for bags it might be cheaper to rent a set, especially if you are only going to play once.

Quote Originally Posted by kycouple View Post
    I am lucky in that my wife loves to play golf with me. We play often here at home. We took our clubs when we went to CTI in 2005 and played twice and enjoyed it both times. We are going to CSS in Dec 2010 and unless something changes we are not going to take our clubs. By the time you pay the caddy, tips and drinks it just is not worth it for us. We feel we will want to enjoy the resort more. And now with most of the airlines charging for bags it might be cheaper to rent a set, especially if you are only going to play once.
    See I'm kinda thinking along the same lines. The biggest myth all the AIs put out there, not just Couples, is that golfing is "free". Not hardly and especially not if you plan on riding a cart. I'm leaning more and more toward leaving the clubs at home. Once we're there, if we get the urge to go or we've pal'd up with another couple who wants to go, then we can always rent clubs.

Like you, I'm sure we would enjoy it immensely, this much I don't doubt. But I'm thinking that with all there is to do, it's not like we'd miss it to any great degree if we don't play.
    Ron

Thanks for the replys,
    we are on Air Jamaica and it looks as though two bags under 50lbs are free so I might bring the Calloways, can anyone update me on the cart fee, I was under the impression that the only fee was for the caddie, while I love to golf in the 80's that is temperature only, my score is usually in the 90's, and I haven't walked 18 holes since I left the 70's, the 1970's

Golf, a good walk spoiled, Golf in a cart with beer, a nice ride enhanced,
    Golf in a cart, with a caddie and Red Stripe, priceless

blueseagolf
    We flew Air Jamaica last week. Please know that if you purchased your tickets after a certain date, there is a charge for a second bag.
    Even though our second bag was free(we purchased before the charge was implemented), when we checked in we were told there is a charge for "sporting" equipment ($50 each way), separate from the 2nd bag fee. We politely asked for confirmation from a supervisor and had to wait about 15 minutes before we were waived thru with no fee. Nothing was said about the golf bag when leaving Jamaica. Just be prepared they may charge you for the golf bag.
    Jamaica is not so strict on the one bag, one player. We just put my clubs in my husbands bag and took just the one golf bag. I enjoy playing with husband when we are on vacation.

blueseagolf,
    My son in law just played golf while staying at CTI with my daughter on their honeymoon two weeks ago. He said that the rental clubs are in ok condition and they have Callaway or Nike sets. He didn't want to bring his bag, but I on the other hand will always bring mine. I lighten it up by taking out all the unnecessary stuff. I take my clubs, gloves, towel, tees and enough balls I think I'll need. If you don't lighten it up the caddy will do it before you go out and leave most of your stuff in the caddyshack. As far as the cart fees go, I'm pretty sure that the fee is around $37 for 18 holes. If two are riding the fee is split between you. I always walk when I can so I didn't ride when we played the course 6 years ago. Oh by the way, he said that the course is very hard because they didn't get much rain this year. Enjoy your time in paradise and down a few Hummingbirds for me!

CathyJoe and steveg52,
    Thanks for the heads up, our group was planning on going twice while there, I might just go with the rentals, avoid any hassle, drink an extra stripe or two and go with the flow. The chance of me walking the course is Slim and none, and Slim was not invited this trip!

I am also thinking two days of golf may be just too much time away from my green flag on the beach, not to mention the wife

Ron,

Even if you don't like to sit out in the sun, don't drink and don't do any off-site excursions, there is so much to do on the resort, you won't even have time to sit in the room and watch the evening news on TV!

Wally
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Ron,

Even if you don't like to sit out in the sun, don't drink and don't do any off-site excursions, there is so much to do on the resort, you won't even have time to sit in the room and watch the evening news on TV!

Wally
    I'm in complete agreement with you Wally, and it's why Rosa and I decided just the other night that we're not going to bring our clubs. Again, I won't rule out hitting the links completely, but at this point I'm filing the possibility of it happening in the slim & none drawer.

There just seems to be too much to do at the resort, even if doing stuff includes nothing more than hanging at the pool or on the beach. However, the one off-resort, non freebie activity we still plan to pursue is the zipline tour via Chukka. That looks like way too much fun to pass up.
    Ron