Thread: Snorkel newbie

Hybrid View

Default Snorkel newbie

My hubby & I will be staying at Couples Negril this January
    and I would like to try the snorkel trip. I have never
    snorkeled before and would appreciate any advise I can get
    before I try it. Is it fairly easy? I'm a little nervous.

Well the best piece of advice I can think of is to go to your local dive shop, get their advice and buy your own mask and snorkel - comfort and confidence in your equipment (or lack of) will make or break the experience. Also a decent snorkel is much easier to clear of any rogue water than a cheapy one so don't spend all your money on the mask.

Default snorkeling

edsjen; We were at CSA in Oct. We signed up for the snorkeling, although my wife had never snorkeled, and was very hesitant. Her fears were quickly calmed when she got in the water. Relax and enjoy, you'll be fine.
    Ken & Gina

It's super easy. You just float around and look down at the sea life below. It is actually quite relaxing and if you hold hands with your honey, it's romantic too. Good luck and have fun.

It's very easy to learn, to do, and to enjoy. I learned a couple of years ago and have snorkeled dozens of times at CSA and CSS.

Buy an inexpensive mask and snorkel at Sports Authority or Divers Direct and try it out in a swimming pool. Make sure you get a snorkel that has a floating valve that closes when you dive under the water. They supply masks, fins, and snorkels at all the Couples resorts, but, for the size of the snorkel and mask in your suitcase, it's nice to have your own.

When you snorkel, you can just float on top of the water if you like, or you can dive down a few feet to get a close up view.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I snorkeled for the first time at CN last year. My husband has done this many times and has tried to persuade me to join him, but, I was always too nervous. Now, I regret having missed so many opportunities.

It's as easy as you wish to make it; you can simply float on top of the water with a great view into the ocean, or, if you're adventurous, try diving down.

Paul took his own equipment, but, thought it was a complete waste of space as CN's gear was excellent. We'll be snorkeling at CSS in a few days and have no intention of taking our gear this time.

Relax and enjoy, you'll have a lot of fun!

Thanks, everyone for your great advice!
    A few years back I tried to experiment using the resorts equipment.
    I must have a weird shaped head because I couldn't get the mask to
    seal properly and kept having to stop to empty out water.
    I should probably buy my own mask.

nguc54t, there is some snorleling to be done off the beach around CSS. You may want to rethink taking your ouwn gear. Just a thought.

The staff is wonderful with nervous first time snorkelers. I watched them take a woman out who does not swim and was very frightened but wanted to give it a go. A staff member stayed with her in the water. With a flotation device you don't even need to be a swimmer. You should have seen her face when she did it! She conquered the world that day.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJen View Post
    The staff is wonderful with nervous first time snorkelers. I watched them take a woman out who does not swim and was very frightened but wanted to give it a go. A staff member stayed with her in the water. With a flotation device you don't even need to be a swimmer. You should have seen her face when she did it! She conquered the world that day.
    I highlighted that one statement because that is so very true. I am not a strong swimmer by any means - maybe enough to swim the length of an average high school swimming pool, and that's about it. It was very comforting for me having a lifevest (or belt - I've used both in the past) to keep me afloat in case I got tired. In fact, there were times I didn't even use a vest or belt because the fins alone easily keep the head above water with a mimimum of treading. However the couple of times I did this it was right off the beach in a very safe breakwater cove. Otherwise, as a standard rule, I never take to the water without a vest/belt. Better to be a safe sissy than a dead stud.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron & Rosa 25 View Post
    Better to be a safe sissy than a dead stud
    I am over here ROFL! You crack me up. But that is so true!

Angie
    Kevin & Angie

Funny Ron and Rosa!!! Still, I do not use a flotation device because I love to dive down under the water for a closer look. With fins and a snorkel if you keep your face in the water you float effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJen View Post
    Funny Ron and Rosa!!! Still, I do not use a flotation device because I love to dive down under the water for a closer look. With fins and a snorkel if you keep your face in the water you float effortlessly.
    Rosa will often do the same thing, but then again she's a strong swimmer. I'm content watching from just beneath the surface.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

You float a lot easier in the salt water than you do in fresh water. It is actually hard to swim down below the water surface in salt water.

The hard part about snokeling is your brain telling you that you can't breath with your face under water. And, you can't breath through your nose, just your mouth. It takes a little getting used to. We brought our own masks, snorkels and fins last time and my wife practiced in the swimming area before we went out on the boat. She got used to breathing through the snorkel with her face under water in the shallow water of the swimming area. (so did I)

The water sports guys were very helpfull to my wife the last trip out. She told them she was a little uneasy about jumping in the deep water (over her head) because she is not much of a swimmer. One of the guys helped her into the water and then held on to her arm while she got used to the water and floatoing in it. Then she had a blast.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Wally, thank you, I feel less nervous now. I am a bit afraid of deep water too, so it's reassuring to know the water sports staff
    takes that much care with the newbies! The more I read about Couples Negril, the more I look forward to our vacation!

I snorkeled for the first time at CN last month.I was a bit nervous,but it all worked out fine.I stayed at the top of the water and just floated while holding hands with my sweetheart.Its only 15 feet deep where they take you...and you have a very clear view from the top.I would suggest bringing an under water camera..we didnt think of it and wish now that we had.