Default Water Activities For Those Who Wear Contacts

I hope this isn't a stupid question. For those who wear contacts, are you still able to enjoy all the water activities? I wear contacts and usually only go kayaking when we go on vacation. I want to do it all when we go to CSA. I plan to buy a good pair or goggles but do others who wear contacts have any problems?

My husband and I both wear soft contacts, and we always just pack a bunch of extra pairs. However, we have never even had to use them. For some reason the pair we wear down there seems to last, even with snorkeling and swimming. We are really good about taking them out at night to soak though and using rewetting drops throughout the day.

I've been wearing contacts for twenty+ years and never take them out for any water activities. I even open my eyes by squinting while under water, but I'm cautious about that. i'm also a scuba diver and with a mask on I never have a problem. So if you're cautious, get the goggles, they can only help

I wear daily contacts and bring extra....they float away no big deal

Jim

I have snorkeled, waterskied, cliff jumped at Ricks all with contacts in. I only lost one when swimming and unexpectedly got a wave in the face, If the mask is tight when snorkeling, water shouldn't get in. I wear two week disposable so I always have a few extra pair around just in case. When swimming without a mask, you just have to close your eyes a bit if going under.
    have fun...
    PV

I have worn contacts on the last three trips to CSA and with no issues whatsoever... I have the extended wear ones... I leave them in 24/7.

I snorkled, did the ziplining, parasailing, and jumped off the boat from the cat cruise and layed out in the water every day... no issues at all. I always bring an extra set just in case, but haven't ever had to use them.

Good luck, and no worries

Hi:
    When I used to wear contacts(before I had Lasik surgery) I did everything from Scuba diving to water skiing. You just have to be a little careful but I never lost a contact.
    If you wear "dailies", just put another one in if you loose one of them. If you wear gas permeables, I would be very careful as they are a lot more expensive to replace.
    have a great vacation:
    Winterpeg(Gary & Norine)
    CSA Dec 2-10, 2009
    NEXT WEEK!

My husband and I both wear soft contacts, he wears daily wears and I have two weekers. We each always take an exta pair or two just in case but neither of us has ever lost even one contact lens. We both SCUBA, snorkle, and spend time just relaxing in the water. I used to wear one of those hard contacts surrounded on the edge by a soft so I didn't have an extra and I was worried but didn't lose that one either. Enjoy and don't worry. If you have an extra pair take it just in case so you'll be sure to relax.

I usually take mine out for swimming etc, I might get a pair of prescription sunglasses this year as its a pain to be half blind on the beach!

Default keith and teresa

I wear contacts and I scuba dive. I have no problems with my contacts during water activities since I invested in a good mask. I tried goggles and they leaked but I am not sure if all would leak. You can pick up a mask and snorkel at any dive shop. It is worth the money.

My problem is the contacts, can't wear 'em. However mrs. dirtleg wears contacts and has done snorkeling and various other water activities without problem. I would recommend taking an extra pair or two, and mrs. dirtleg always brings her glasses as a last resort, just in case. I have done all the water activities, but I have to remove my glasses for anything that involves being submerged. I just don't get to see as much as everyone else. Some day I am going to get lasic (spell?) and I won't need the darn spec's anymore.

I would say if you handle kayaking with contacts you should be OK to go for the water activities at CSA.

I guess it depends what type of contacts you have.
    Mine are disposable and I have never had a problem.
    I always take an extra pair just in case...

On our first trip to Couples in 1998 (when CTI was the only Couples Resort), I wore my contact lenses into the water and got smacked in the face with a wave. I didn't think anything about it. I woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain. My husband used the coffee maker to get water really hot to make warm compresses for my eye, and as soon as the nurse's office opened in the morning, I was there. I developed an eye infection and was told that one should NEVER wear contact lenses into the ocean. I note from the other posts that many guests have done so and haven't had a problem, but they must have better luck than I do. After that incident but before I had LASIK, I purchased prescription sunglasses.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Quote Originally Posted by AKG View Post
    My husband and I both wear soft contacts, and we always just pack a bunch of extra pairs. However, we have never even had to use them. For some reason the pair we wear down there seems to last.
    Same here...bring extras just in case, then go and play!!

Pamela's experience is easy to avoid. Contacts can be a reservoir for unpleasant bacteria. Wear daily disposables and take them out when you are through swimming for the day. Put in a fresh pair or wear glasses for the evening.
    Problem solved!

Default Gas permeable contacts

My husband wears his contacts while swimming and scuba diving but takes them out at bedtime to soak. (knock on wood) he has never had an eye infection. He also takes an extra pair and backup prescription glasses for just in case. Why ruin a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpeg View Post
    Hi:
    When I used to wear contacts(before I had Lasik surgery) I did everything from Scuba diving to water skiing. You just have to be a little careful but I never lost a contact.
    If you wear "dailies", just put another one in if you loose one of them. If you wear gas permeables, I would be very careful as they are a lot more expensive to replace.
    have a great vacation:
    Winterpeg(Gary & Norine)
    CSA Dec 2-10, 2009
    NEXT WEEK!
    lasik is the way to go!!!..hey gary were from edmonton and will be there after the grey cup...dec 1-10..hope to see ya there..

I've worn contacts for 25+ years and have always worn them during water activities. I've been fortunate as I've never lost one while jet skiing, snorkeling, swimming, boating, water-skiing, spinnaker, zip-lining, parasailing, etc. I always take an extra pair of contacts with me, just in case though. This year, I purchased a pair of prescription glasses that came with the snap on sunglasses. If my eyes are "tired" from getting up in the wee hours of the morning to catch an early flight to paradise, I wear my glasses and when we exit the airport into sunshine & warmth, I attach the sunglasses. Good luck!