Default Trouble with Air Jamaica Reimbursement

Okay, so in the beginning of October, my travel agent found out that my return flight with Air Jamaica was canceled. So, she booked us a flight with US Air. She said that it would take about 3-4 weeks to be reimbursed from Air Jamaica. Well, it is almost December and I still have not been reimbursed. The travel agency was nice enough to pay for the new flight, but can not give me my tickets until I was reimbursed. Well, I have to come up with the money by Monday or we may have to cancel the trip. My TA is on vacation this week, but the last time I talked to her, she said that AJ said I should have the money by the end of November. Has anyone ever had this issue and how long does it take to get your money from AJ. If I have to I can just borrow the money, but that is not really the point. It has been almost 2 months.

Hopefully, 13 days to go.

This sounds like your TA's problem to solve, not yours.... I'm surprised that they're putting so much on you and not themselves.

Air Jamaica also cancelled a flight for me. I was reimbursed in about six weeks. I had paid on my debit card and was reimbursed right back to my card.
    Sorry this happened to you. I hope it works out soon.

Air Jamaica usually takes 6-8 weeks for refunds. Your TA cannot usually expedite it.

It's not the TA's fault that AJ decided to cancel mrsjackson's flight - the TA was kind enough to book and put the money up for new tickets, but should not be expected to wait on the refund from AJ. (What if AJ does not refund the money? Again… this is NOT the TA’s fault) That is the VERY reason that trip cancellation insurance is so important... it would have covered cancellation of flights and a full refund would have been made by the insurance provider, not the airline! mrsjackson - I now it is frustrating what has happened, but if I were you, I would somehow borrow the money and hope that you will have a refund when you return from paradise. Trust me, your TA will do everything in her power to get your refund from AJ!

Your TA needs to resolve this but go ahead and call AJ and ask where the refund is. I see no reason for the agency to hold your tickets hostage at this time.

They told us 6 weeks last year when we canceled due to time changes. We wait ed 8 and then called again and they had not even started to process it so we had top wait all ove again. Not impressed with them at all as the other time we went with them they canceled the home bound direct flight while we were in Jamaica and we didn't know anything about it. We will not be booking with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by tracyl View Post
    It's not the TA's fault that AJ decided to cancel mrsjackson's flight - the TA was kind enough to book and put the money up for new tickets, but should not be expected to wait on the refund from AJ. (What if AJ does not refund the money? Again… this is NOT the TA’s fault) That is the VERY reason that trip cancellation insurance is so important... it would have covered cancellation of flights and a full refund would have been made by the insurance provider, not the airline! mrsjackson - I now it is frustrating what has happened, but if I were you, I would somehow borrow the money and hope that you will have a refund when you return from paradise. Trust me, your TA will do everything in her power to get your refund from AJ!
    I agree, I think your TA has been very accommodating.

mrsjackson - I would definitely borrow the money if you can and pay for the tickets. Unfortunately, not even the TA can hurry JA along. Good Luck and do not let this ruin your trip!

Yes, the TA has been more than accommodating. I do not know a TA that would have paid for the new air out of their pocket which is why they are holding the tickets. JA will credit the card that paid for it originally. If it was the travelers card then the TA has no recourse for the 2nd set of tickets, hense, holding the tickets until payment it made.

Uhhhhhh. Did I miss something? I never said my TA was not helpful. I am not blaming her at all. I was just asking if anyone had the same issues I am having and if so, how long did it take for them to get their money back. I am not blaming anyone. I never expected them to foot the bill and me go on vacation and then maybe pay them. That would be unheard of. Anyway, thanks to those who gave me the answer I was looking for.

Okay, so I was able to borrow money from my sister to pay for the US AIR tickets. My TA said that I should be reimbursed by the end of the week from Air Jamaica. I got all the paperwork yesterday and now I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. I can not sit still. I dont know how I am going to get through work this week. 6 more days to go until I am at CN. I can not even think straight. I have been out sick for the last week and half so this is plenty for me to do at work but I just cant concentrate. I knew this would happen but I didnt think it would be this bad. WhooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So glad that it all worked out for you!!! Have a wonderful trip
    Kristen