Default Opinions on what flight to take.....

Jet blue has managed to nicely throw a wrench into our May Couples plan by offering direct flights to MBJ out of Orlando.... We have always flown American before out of Tampa, and I am interested in people's opinions on what they think is better:

JetBlue: Direct from Orlando
    American: Tampa -> Miami -> MBJ.

JetBlue: Arrives in MBJ at 11:15am (leaves Orlando at 10:00 -- but it's 2.5 hours away from our house.)
    American: Arrives in MBJ at 10:30am (leaves Tampa at 7:00 -- but it's 45 minutes away from our house.)

JetBlue: Leaves MBJ at noon. But arrives in Orlando at 3:30 pm.
    American: Leaves MBJ at 3:30 pm. Arrives in Tampa at 11:00 pm.

JetBlue: $75 more for both of us.

I love the idea of a direct flight, and not having to connect in Miami (yuck) but I have to admit, the return flight leaving MBJ at noon is a BIG disincentive for me. The 3:30 flight means we don't have to leave the resort until 11:30 am, which means a run on the beach and a nice breakfast the day we leave as opposed to leaving the resort at 8am.

What do you all think? To direct or not to direct?? That is the question.

What a nice change to hear some one with a problem of deciding which flight to take rather than trying to find one at all.

Our problem is usually cost oriented, so time often is not something we are even able to consider. We are at the mercy of the airline flight schedules that are available. I suppose flying out of Florida helps. International flights out of StL are not as common as they once were.

If the money is not an issue for you, take the flights that allow you the most time at your destination. While changing planes is no fun and direct flights sure do simplify travel, you just can't beat more time on the beach. Can you imagine what you would be thinking as you go wheels up at MBJ and realize you could be just leaving the beach? YIKES!!

There is a direct flight we could take out of STL, but it arrives at MBJ 6:30 PM. Our other option makes a stop over at Charlotte and arrives at MBJ at 11:30 AM. Guess which we are booked on?

I love the beach. But do what is right for you guys. Have a great trip!

A direct flight is always better. Also avoiding go thru Miami is a plus, but leaving on a 12:00 Noon flight is not so good

I would choose the direct flights both ways and forget about the run on the beach the last day. Usually we are anxious to get home the last day. You will have enough time for breakfast the last morning Your transportation for a noon flight leaves the hotel at about 8 AM

I would do American and stay at the resort a couple of hours later. We were just at CSA and that same day we called Jet Blue and paid to take a later flight just to spend a few hours extra. ON the other hand a direct flight is nice, but then again you are traveling 2 1/2 hrs to get there. I am sure you will have many opinions on this. My opinion is American.

I would fly American. I like the idea of getting there earlier and leaving later.

Personally, I think I would stick with American. Not only is it cheaper, but you get more time at the resort. In addition, I would much rather spend some time in an airport where I can walk around as opposed to sitting in a car (or worse...having to drive) for 2.5 hours.

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

Why not take the direct flight there and the later fight back?

I am usually a direct flight person. Why take the chance of having your flight delayed/cancelled when you can just get in the air and go. HOWEVER, I would take the American flight if I were you. The extra resort time and less time in the car sells it for me.

We aren't flying direct for our April trip to CSA because of the cost on NWA. We have to stay the night in Atlanta on the way down but even with the cost of a hotel it's still much cheaper than the direct flight. Earlier arrival too...hopefully...in Montego Bay.

I like the later flight coming back, they will make you leave (4) hours before your flight

We rarely get direct flights anywhere so we are not used to having that option.

We're driving from Tampa to Orlando and paying more to fly with JetBlue just so we can have a direct flight and not go through Miami. A friend of mine had a flight from Tampa that connected in Miami when they went to Mexico for their honeymoon...the plane from Tampa had mechanical problems and they ended up missing their connecting flight and lost a full day at their resort. I'm not willing to take that risk!

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make certain I wasn't totally crazy for choosing a MUCH longer total travel time (and going through Miami) just for an extra 3 hours on the beach on the last day.

Plus we usually DO fly American, you can check 2 bags FREE (no, really.) and I get my run on the beach on the last morning. I hate having to rush out of the resort on the last day, and leaving the resort at 11 makes us almost feel like we have half a day there. Leaving at 8am.... well..... not so much.

In any case, we'll be at CSA in May. Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Jet blue has managed to nicely throw a wrench into our May Couples plan by offering direct flights to MBJ out of Orlando.... We have always flown American before out of Tampa, and I am interested in people's opinions on what they think is better:

Jet Blue: Direct from Orlando
    American: Tampa -> Miami -> MBJ.

Jet Blue: Arrives in MBJ at 11:15am (leaves Orlando at 10:00 -- but it's 2.5 hours away from our house.)
    American: Arrives in MBJ at 10:30am (leaves Tampa at 7:00 -- but it's 45 minutes away from our house.)

Jet Blue: Leaves MBJ at noon. But arrives in Orlando at 3:30 pm.
    American: Leaves MBJ at 3:30 pm. Arrives in Tampa at 11:00 pm.

Jet Blue: $75 more for both of us.

I love the idea of a direct flight, and not having to connect in Miami (yuck) but I have to admit, the return flight leaving MBJ at noon is a BIG disincentive for me. The 3:30 flight means we don't have to leave the resort until 11:30 am, which means a run on the beach and a nice breakfast the day we leave as opposed to leaving the resort at 8am.

What do you all think? To direct or not to direct?? That is the question.
    ....What ever. I was NOT happy with Delta. The ride to Jamaica was the bumpiest I have ever experienced. OK, turbulence happens. But the trip back was a nightmare. Pretty much everything that could possibly go wrong, short of a plane crash, did.