Hybrid View

Default Couples Parasailing at CN

My wife is somewhat scared of heights and thinks she would like to step out of her comfort zone and do some parasailing. We both think the view would be beautiful from up there. She would feel much more at ease if we could both go up at the same time.

Has anyone done some parasailing at CN where the two of you go up in a double harness? If so, was it a side-by-side harness or one infront of the other? What was the cost and what company did you use? Was their equipment in good shape and do you have any tips for us newbies?

I have read that the operators just walk the beach selling their rides but does Couples endorse one operator over the others?

Thanks,

DON’T DO IT. Yes, you go together in a double harness, but unlike businesses in the states the ones in Jamaica are not regulated. When we went from CN, the harness was sturdy enough, but it was attached to the boat with a little, frayed rope and a tiny granny knot held the rope to the harness. Couples resorts recommends AGINST doing this! It is very dangerous and if you wife is afraid of heights, she will be terrified.

If she wants to step out of her comfort zone, I would suggest a zip line tour from Chukka Tours. It is arranged by Couples and they use top notch equipment. Their guides are very helpful and will let you go fast if you want too or slow if you want to. They adjust the breaks on the equipment to your comfort level. It's called the Canopy Tour and you "fly" through the rain forest on a cable. The one we did was at the Ocho Rios side of the island and had 8 lines. I am uncomfortable with heights and I had a blast. Just stop at the Couples Tour Desk to arrange it.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

[QUOTE=Wally;34502]DON’T DO IT. Yes, you go together in a double harness, but unlike businesses in the states the ones in Jamaica are not regulated. When we went from CN, the harness was sturdy enough, but it was attached to the boat with a little, frayed rope and a tiny granny knot held the rope to the harness. Couples resorts recommends AGINST doing this! It is very dangerous and if you wife is afraid of heights, she will be terrified.
    Wally any information on accident frequency rates? I dont doubt the equipment might not be top notch but i never have read or heard of a parasailing accident. I do know jumping into the sea from at ricks is a high risk move as there have been numerous accidents reports over the years.

We were at CN a few weeks ago and were going to parasail but by the time we decided the wind picked up and they were not flying so we missed it. The boat that we saw had 2 seats side by side and I think it was about $95.00 for 2 people (plus tip). I did it in Mexico a number of years ago snd when my wife saw the side by side she decided to try it. We are both 72 and it did not look dangerous to us.
    It is not endorsed by Couples - neither are the wave runners.

Cindy & I did it once, the harness is side by side. I do not think Couples endorses anyone outside of the resort ( possible liability issues maybe ). There are two groups hat selll near CN, you can find them off the beach usually swim out to the ropes and they will find you trust me.

For us, the $80 for a 10 minute trip was not worth it. True the view was nice, but for a little more you can take the small plane flight from Montego bay to Couples rather than a 2 hour car ride, and the view is so much better.

Just our opinion

I am afraid of heights also, and did do the parasailing with my hubby,
    while at CSA a few years ago. I loved it! I was not afraid at all!
    I loved the part where they bring you down so your feet dip in the water
    and then bring you back up!

Thanks for the replies everyone. In all the trips to the caribbean we have never seen an accident but we have always questioned the equipment. We were just hoping that there was a very reputable outfit that we could use but it looks like we are out of luck.

Thanks again!