Hybrid View

Default The thing we hate most

Sometimes I think that it may be the single most difficult requirement for handling one's life. It begins when we are very young and continues to occur over and over again throughout our lifetime. Some people discover the need for this early on in development. Others may travel another path. However, for as long as we are alive and have control of our faculties, this will vary greatly, I think that is imperative that every person learn to deal with CHANGE.

I am making these reference to this very unattractive, uninvited and usually unpleasant occurrence, as a result of our last two visits to our beloved, recently reinvented fortress of fantasy. a.k.a. Couples Tower Isle.

When we were there one week after the re-opening last April, we heard all kinds of moaning and groaning and complaining. About all kinds of things. Most, if not all the bellyaching, came from repeaters. After all, the newbies have nothing to base their feelings on, other than what they are getting at the moment. From what i saw, they were just fine.

Another discovery that I made was that there are a lot of couples, I mean, a lot of couples that have never heard of our quaint little message board. Many of these duos were refereed to Couples by their TA. They never saw the web site. And if they did, they missed the MB portion. So for whatever reason these folks missed the change concerning Bayside's cuisine. Some said they came just to try the Italian style bistro. I can't print what they were feeling or what they said. I can understand how they felt. I too would be pissed if my favorite restaurant at my favorite resort suddenly did a 180. But at the same time, I would have to try to put things in to perspective. How much of an impact will I allow this glitch to ruin my time there? Can I find adequate substitutes for now and be more informed the next time?

For some of those couples, there was no recovery. Everything else was clouded by this new idea. That's to bad. There must be so meting else you like about the resort. Is there nothing to fill the void? Can you stop pouting?

On our most recent trip last month, there were still people mumbling and grumbling about one thing or another. One couple was upset that they moved the beach grille to the new location. They used to like to sit on the bar stools and eat while watching people on the sand and in the water. Even though they could still do that at the new grille, they just had a tough time adjusting.

Another person complained that the large round shower head didn't allow the water to come out the way they wanted it, and they had a tough time taking showers. CHANGE. You really can't ignore it. It's all around us every day. It's part of the weave in the fabric of life. Change is the single event that in my life, that I have come to depend on. Sometimes the course is gradually and I have time to make the adjustments. Other times, change comes roaring in at us like a huge wave during a storm. Catching us unprepared. Stirring up lots of emotions that must be dealt with in order to move forward.

Our beloved sanctuary by the sea has been given, what we think is, a stunning new look. One that is pleasing to the eye. Restful. Inviting. Comfortable and very accommodating. But again, all of that is subject to ones point of view. One person wrote, "CTI was perfect", another was not happy at all. Same place. Same stuff. For some it is half full, for others, half empty.

So far, for us, even with all the staff changes, food changes, decor changes that occurred over the past 15 years, when we turn the corner on the van and drive up the driveway at CTI, we still have every tingly feeling, all the heavy sighing, all the smiles, laughter and sheer ecstasy coursing through our bodies. Like some mystical magical elixir that we take most willingly. Knowing full well the overwhelming results. Our hearts beat more quickly as well as out pulse. At that precise moment, when we step into the lobby, we are at the exact right place at the exact right time. We experience complete peace and serenity. How ever many minutes you have on Couples visit, I know that you will be almost delirious with enjoyment.

Richie
    Last edited by Couples Resorts; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:21 AM.

We have been coming to cti for the last 18 years, and i agree with you on every word you wrote. When you pull into the drive, we get this wonderful feeling WERE HOME, WERE HOME. Excuse me but i must close for now to wipe away the tear in my eye. jim and linda wise from South Carolina.

Squally80-

When will you be at CSS this year?

Doug & Claire

Richie,

While change is difficult for some, it is also unavoidable for most of us. An observation I have made in life is that change is most difficult for two particular demographic groups; the very young and the very old. With some overlap for those that just don't like to adjust and want the world to fit their narrow vision.
    Perhaps what you witnessed was not so much resistance to change, but rather disappointment that the changes were not what they expected. A fine edge of a difference, granted, but maybe they expected change to fit more within their personal idea of what they thought would, or should, be improved.

We saw similar reactions at CSA, our Couples home, when the two phases of new construction occured over the last several years. With each change and expansion in the layout there seemed to be more disgruntled "repeaters" dismayed with the fact that it was not "their" resort anymore, and who are all these new people that have invaded our space? I consider myself among the more accepting group that welcomed the new facilities and opportunities they offered for additional, and yes different, activities and experiences. A changed paradise is still paradise, no?

Some times change is welcome, a respite from a life routine caught in a rut. I look at our occasional trips to CSA as a change in my daily life that affords me some refreshment and energy that might not be available otherwise. It allows mrs. dirtleg and I to live out a brief fantasy existance with no cares and our only responsibilty for that week is to have fun. Now that's change I can live with.

Nice post, thought provoking.

As a creature of habit, I hate change, but have learned to live with it and most of the time I adjust quickly, knowing that I have no choice. Sometimes, I have to be pulled kicking and screaming into it.

I can not wait to go back to CTI. Since we didn't get to go last year, because of the delay in opening, I doubt anything will cloud our joy once we pull into the resort!!
    Kristen

We are going to do a split this year between cti and css, will be at css on the 12th of dec. leaving on the 19th. we will be celebrating our 30th ann. their this year. This will be our 20th trip to couples, and we still act like little kids when we pull into cti. and see the grand old- new lady.

Richie, you nailed it. I think the complainers just need to stop. look around and understand that time does not stand still. Neither can a resort. What ever happens to the facade of a specific resort, the concept of its creation and the wonderful people that keep it going are the same. We, for the short time we are there, need to relax and find the beauty. We will miss it all on our return home. Nick and I shared CTI's beauty in April with you two. We leave Tuesday for a short trip to Negril. Can't wait to get home to Couples!

Interesting post - well thought out and obviously spoken from the heart. Change is indeed difficult for almost everyone, but for some, it's almost painful. That's sad because as has been stated by Richie and others, it's inevitable, and so it goes with CTI.

I remember when the details of the remodeled CTI were first revealed, and this was still prior to the official reopening. I recall how there were numerous complaints by the repeaters regarding two areas in particular: the conversion of Bayside from Italian to Asian cuisine and the re-decor of the lobby. There were other issues as well, but the two dominant ones were Bayside and the lobby.

All I can say is in this case, I'm glad I'm a newbie because I won't know what I'm missing. But even if I had been to the old COR and even if I had loved it back then, I'm 100% certain I'd be approving of the remodel. I'm a huuuuuge fan of Asian cuisine and the new lobby is right up my alley, taste-wise. I love art deco and post moderne decor/architecture. The pics of the new Grand Old Lady reveal that a lot of thought went into the process and at least from an appearance standpoint, so much for the better. CTI now visually stands out amongst the four resorts, and it's just one of many reasons Rosa and I chose it for the one week leg of our stay.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

CTI has changed and we like it. Yes it is different than before, but it did need the update because it needed help. The staff and the people were great, but the building was old and needed help.

Thanks Couples
    Irie Mon

If you complain about complaining, it's still complaining.
    nobody's favorite poster

Default about change

I always remember this "To live is to adapt" Goethe
    I find most change is good, because sometimes the change fails to meet the previous standard. Some things that should be changed, aren't.
    Its the latter one that bothers me most.
    David

Repeaters are aware of this message board, and as stated above there are different types of change, this change was not the sudden slap you in the face, take time to deal with it in order to move on type of change, these changes were over a period of time, with pictures of the changes and full descriptions posted right here. So it all does come down to a matter of individual expectations and perspectives, everyone has different idea's of both.

Richie I have to agree with you that change is hard, especially the older we get. But I also think that some expectations are set too high as well.

On our first visit to CN, there was a very bad thunderstorm that came through one evening. As a result not only did the resort loose power for a while but the town of Negril. Because the town lost power they could not pump water, yeap you guess it, no showers that morning, more importantly you could not even flush the comode. It was mid-day before things were back to normal My husband and I thought that CN did an outstanding job dealing with the issues, they were carrying 5 gallon buckets of water up to each of the rooms to take care of the necessary items.

My point here is that I spoke with a couple that had been to CN 4 times, this was their 5th visit, we were newbies and blown away with how the resort handle the problems, these folks could only complain, demanded they be moved to another resort and wanted a refund. Also stated that they were not coming back, ever. This was not a permanet change and yet it effected thier entire vacation.

My girl was a repeater back from COR, it was my first time to CTI... as a tech savvy person, I found the message board and website and dedicated a lot of time to researching the resorts, accommodations, etc.

My girl really like the renovation, she did note that the beachside grill had moved off the beach but we ate there several times for lunch and enjoyed it regardless of it's location. How could somebody not like the lobby? You walk in and see the beautiful water... and then when you look away from the water, you'll see a nice art deco style room that goes with the entire theme of the resort.

As for Bayside changing.. I would had loved to eat Italian as it's my favorite, but I really enjoyed my Asian meal at the Bayside! I enjoyed all my meals at CTI... the food is a very big factor to go to Couples!

I know some very well off people and I've found that they use their status as a way to be thrifty. They will complain about things to get freebies or discounts...whatever it takes to save them a buck, even when you know they can surely afford to pay full price. I know somebody that complains about every rental car they get, just so they can get a free upgrade. I can't bring myself to be like that. If something truly is wrong, I will make a point to bring it up but I surely would never go out of my way to nitpick just to get a discount.

I can't wait to get back to CTI!

Adam

It never ceases to amaze me how x amount of people can look at, let's say the lobby, and have so many valid and various descriptions and reactions. Sometimes it can be something as small as some chair that someone may not have cared for. Every time this person walked through the lobby, the chair becomes an issue for them. Everything else may have been fantastic, but the thing that they take with them is than damn chair. This story is false. But over the years, from newbies to repeaters, we have known people like that. They just couldn't get beyond it. Unfortunate. Perhaps a few very tiny ants in a bathroom. So what? They aren't going to bother you in any way. And don't tell me, ".....they just spent a bazillion bucks on a renovation and they still got ants" If you want to let that bum you out for a week, I guess that's okay, but why would you?
    Everything is there for each and every person to take part in whatever it is that they want. You can see all of those things any way you want. Couples puts all these marvelous tempting succulent offerings in one place. What we marvel at or what we were disappointed with, is strictly up to each of us.

Respect

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Crabracer View Post
    Adam

It never ceases to amaze me how x amount of people can look at, let's say the lobby, and have so many valid and various descriptions and reactions. Sometimes it can be something as small as some chair that someone may not have cared for. Every time this person walked through the lobby, the chair becomes an issue for them. Everything else may have been fantastic, but the thing that they take with them is than damn chair. This story is false. But over the years, from newbies to repeaters, we have known people like that. They just couldn't get beyond it. Unfortunate. Perhaps a few very tiny ants in a bathroom. So what? They aren't going to bother you in any way. And don't tell me, ".....they just spent a bazillion bucks on a renovation and they still got ants" If you want to let that bum you out for a week, I guess that's okay, but why would you?
    Everything is there for each and every person to take part in whatever it is that they want. You can see all of those things any way you want. Couples puts all these marvelous tempting succulent offerings in one place. What we marvel at or what we were disappointed with, is strictly up to each of us.

Respect

Richie
    I have been holding off posting on this thread, but I want to add a few comments. First off, let me say the Couples did the right thing renovating COR and turning it into CTI. The place needed an update and, judging from the pictures, I think I will like the new retro modern look it has been given.

That said, I am one of those folks who doesn't like change. I tie memories very strongly to my surroundings. When I walk into a familiar place, the memories of that place come flooding back, but when those surrondings are drastically changed I lose some my ability to relive those memories. Its just the way I am wired. Yes, I can and will make new memories, but I will miss the sense of nostaligia I used to get when I entered the main lobby at COR.

Again, Couples did the right thing in renovating COR. I plan to enjoy my stay at CTI to its fullest in January. I look forward to expeiencing CTI's retro modern look first hand, but I suspect there will be a part of me that longs for the soft, casual and elegant decor of the COR from days gone by.

BTW: I have no problems with any chair, but that couch in CTI's lobby and I are definitely going to have issues.

Ritchie,

When I return from my 1st visit, I will let you know! My boyfriend and I have frequented resorts other than Couples for the last 3 years. We could not afford Couples so being able to go in itself is exciting for me! I am sure I will enjoy every single chocolatey morsel down to its chewy center!

No doubt Richie, on our first trip out to tower island (sapphire island via google maps), a couple ahead of us left their unfinished fruity drinks on the deck and there were a bunch of tiny ants all over the drinks and the area/on the chairs, etc.. we set the drinks aside and moved the chairs a bit and brushed them off.. problem solved. Somebody was inconsiderate, it happens all the time, we didn't sweat it. We did, however, take all our empties to the bar as to not leave a situation like that for others.

I guess the mood was set for me right from the bus trip from the airport.. the driver told us, "there are no problems in Jamaica, only situations"... and shortly after that, we had a situation... flat tire. I jumped in with another guy on the bus and assisted in changing the flat so we could be on our way. It truly was "no problem"... just a minor delay in our trip home. I hope the rest of the people didn't complain and try to get free upgrades and stuff because of it.. I know we didn't. The only thing was that we missed the 5pm orientation, but it wasn't a big deal, we found the food and dinner that night... and a hot tub.

People should just relax, they are on vacation. They should enjoy paradise with their loved one.

Jamaicahound: You are not alone. But don't let some new paint and pretty colors keep you from having your vivid memories.
    I can stand at spot that I used to go fishing with my dad. I was ten. That's sixty-nine years ago. I can close my eyes and see every detail of the pond, the landscape, the place where we sat and fished. I can feel the warm sun on a long lazy summer afternoon. I can hear dad's voice and his laugh. No matter how much time passes. No matter how much change has occurred, those memories we carry are unique to each of us. We can make them as real as we want.
    I have similar feelings surrounding the new CTI. Outwardly and honestly, we do like the new look. We think that it makes a grand statement.
    We have only been back twice since the re-opening and we found ourselves missing this spot or that. Remembering when we used to do this or that. Sure we miss them. They were great events as they were happening. At least to each couple they were. A moment that remains significant will be there forever. As I have quoted ET many times before. When he points to his head and says, "It's all right here". And it always will be.

The human race is the only species on the planet that, while it may recognize the necessity of eventual change, more often than not does everything in their power to resist the move. Everything else in nature either figures out what it is it must do to continue to thrive, or it eventually will cease to exist. Humans can stall this process. And by the time they have it figured out, it may be to late.

Now, there is a new oasis that has risen from a place that had much beauty and charm. We like the new woman. She is stylish, revitalized and inviting. The beauty, character and charm of what used to be has now been lovingly and tastefully transformed in this ever changing world. Love it or not, it is what it is. I hope more and more people will discover this Caribbean jewel. As the years go by, they too will have their special memories.

I printed this once before. I wrote this in 1983.

We change
    socks,
    light bulbs,
    lanes,
    partners.
    "Don't forget your change".
    directions,
    channels
    blades,
    glasses.
    "I wish the weather would change".

Maybe, I could change my mind. ?!