Default Help! Overwhelmed with Selections . . . rooms etc.

So as a wife of a navy pilot who has been deployed over 3 times we never have had a honeymoon! We are finally taking one!! However, I am completely overwhelmed with all the choices. I can't figure out which resort to go to. What are the huge differences? Obviously, I know location but what about the resorts!?

I love to be pampered and relax but I am sure I could do that at all of them. Also, Since we are on a tight budget (we have a little one) is it really worth it to upgrade to the beach front suite or should we save or money and stay in a garden view? I am leaning towards the beach front but it would add $1000 almost to our bill!

Any advice from the experienced would be so appreciated!!!I am completely overwhelmed!

You can't go wrong at a Couples resort. Since you are on a budget, I'd go for the cheapest room at the cheapest resort and stay a couple days longer. Or, if you can't stay any longer, use the money you save on the room at the spa. Just in case you didn't already know, the spa is the only place on the resort you can spend extra money (except the gift shop on course). Everything else is included with the room price. And remember, you won't be spending much time in the room anyway...just to sleep, shower and change.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Not sure which property you are looking at, our favorite is CN, but I would not spend the money on the suite, I would stay a couple of extra days instead if possible. No matter which Couples you stay at you will not be disappointed.

If your staying at CSA I would go for the Atruim and use what you saved for an extra day. How much time are you really going to spend in your room just enjoying the room and view?

Hi FlyNavy,
    First of all like the other posts told you, you can't go wrong with any resort you choose. We've been to CTI and CSA in the past, most recently CSA. We like CSA better because it had more of a sprawling resort feel to it. CTI is more hotel-like. Wandering through the beautiful grounds and getting a little lost, was part of the fun we had at CSA. If you want to take long walks on the beach then CSA or CN are for you. If you just want to plop down on a lounge chair on the beach or by the pool any resort will do. From what I've read, CN is better for meeting other people at the pool where all the action is if that's your thing. We were with two other couples so we didn't need to mingle, except in the Aura Lounge for sing alongs with Ultimate Chocolate. He's a treat not to be missed! CSA had the best sports complex/spa we'd ever seen at a resort. So if you want to take some classes with an instructor or just workout on your own I highly recommend CSA. As far as room choices goes, we didn't spend any time at all in the room. If you like to lounge in your room then that's up to you where to spend your money. At CSA some of the older rooms like the garden and atrium rooms don't have TVs or mini bars. Oh well, I hope this helps. Enjoy your time in paradise and don't forget to talk and kid around with the resort employees. They open up to you when you're friendly and have awesome personalities which is icing on the cake.

You can't go wrong with any of the Couples resorts. Check out the pictures and go with your gut - which one is calling to you?

We've been to them all and the one thing we've learned is that we don't spend much time in the room at all. Our first room decider is price, the second is location. If I were you, I'd stick with the garden. Keep the extra $1000 for a down payment on your return trip!

The big difference in beach is between the Negril side (CN and CSA) and the Ocho side (CTI and CSS). The Ocho beaches are smaller but completely private, the Negril beaches are much larger but public.

Here are some other quick differences:
    CTI - Completely private beach, yet small; separate island for nude sunbathing, 5 restaurants including Bayside that sits on the water; the most inclusions (Dunn's River, catamaran cruise, horseback riding in addition to the others). Only 5 buildings with rooms so the resort is very compact and intimate. Though it seems like only 3 buildings since three are connected. Everything revolves around a central location. Just underwent a $30 million renovation - new rooms, new decor, new pools, etc. Fantastic food.

CSS - the newest to the Couples resort, but not the newest built. Also has a completely private beach. Separate beach for nude sunbathing. Resort is spread out and built on cliffs. It's split into 3 different levels, lots of steps throughout. Lots of foliage and hidden spots. Does not offer a catamaran cruise. 3 restaurants but full menu room service. All rooms are suites with mini bars. Rooms are more hotel like as far as the decor. Wonderful massage huts on the cliffs.

CN - Sits in Bloody Bay which it shares with 3 other resorts and public beach access. Separate section of main beach used for nude sunbathing. Individual buildings throughout the resort for the rooms. All on beach level. Somewhat spread out. Huge main pool with swim-up bar. Rooms decorated in bright colors. 24 hour room service only in select room categories and it must be ordered a day in advance. All rooms have mini bars.

CSA - Sits on 7 mile beach (other hotels, bars and public beach access). Separate buildings for rooms that are cabana like, dark wood and white linens. Resort is spread out along the beach but all on beach level. Only resort with rooms right on the beach where you can walk off your first floor patio into sand. Fantastic food. Night Club. Some rooms do not have televisions or mini bars. 5 restaurants.

We return to a Couples every April, so I'd be happy to share our pics or maps if that would help in your decision (amy.welch@hotmail.com). Good luck!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

CB - 2015

Our first trip to CN we had a gardenview (cheapest) room overlooking the spa. It was fine and, as folks say, you don't spend much time in your room. Remember that, in the Caribbean, the sun usually goes down around 6 p.m. year-round and you'll probably be at the beach/pool until late afternoon anyway. IOW, even if you're in your room at night, it's dark outside so there's not much to see.

The one thing about CSA is that some rooms don't have TVs. Some people thing that's wonderful; others don't. Only you can answer that question for yourselves.

Finally, we chose CN the first time because there were so FEW room choices. All non-suite rooms are alike in size and decor (just like the pix) -- the only difference is location. We keep coming to CN b/c we love the beach (LOVE!!) and the people. But I'm sure fans of the other resorts have equally great things to say!

Finally, if you're feeling really adventurous and cost is a critical issue, consider Secret Rendezvous. Sometimes the cost differnce is significant, sometimes less so. Also, check the weekly Wednesday specials posted on this board -- you might see something you like and works time-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
    So as a wife of a navy pilot who has been deployed over 3 times we never have had a honeymoon! We are finally taking one!! However, I am completely overwhelmed with all the choices. I can't figure out which resort to go to. What are the huge differences? Obviously, I know location but what about the resorts!?

I love to be pampered and relax but I am sure I could do that at all of them. Also, Since we are on a tight budget (we have a little one) is it really worth it to upgrade to the beach front suite or should we save or money and stay in a garden view? I am leaning towards the beach front but it would add $1000 almost to our bill!

Any advice from the experienced would be so appreciated!!!I am completely overwhelmed!
    First off, let me offer a hearty salute to both of you, to hub for doing very dangerous work in the name of his country and to you for also having to make many sacrifices as well.

I highlighted two key lines from your post because maybe you can have your cake and eat it too. Depending on whichever resort you choose (hopefully at some point one of them will 'call out' to you and that will be your choice), if you opt for one of the lower-priced room categories, you can use the savings to indulge yourself or both of you in a spa treatment. As many have stated you'll likely not be in your room much and if by chance you choose a room without an ocean view, then heck, leave the room and go find a spot where you'll get that view.

The bottom line is you have to weigh what's most important to the two of you, then balance that with your budget allowance. I'm confident you'll find a happy medium and take it from there. Good luck.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Congrats on the long overdue vacation. We have been to CSA 3 times (married there in 2006). Stayed in Atrium, Garden Veranda, and Beachfront Veranda. The Veranda suites are newer and include TVs and Minibars (some of the original Garden and Atrium suites do, but not all). While we definitely prefer the Veranda Suites, I don't see us spending the extra money for Beachfront again, everyone is right, you just don't spend much time in the room. you are much better off spending that money on extra days. It isn't the room you are going to remember, it's the time you spend there. And don't stress too much on choosing which resort to go to, everyone I have ever talked to that has been to a couple resort has only one complaint, that they eventually had to leave and return home.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
    is it really worth it to upgrade to the beach front suite or should we save or money and stay in a garden view? I am leaning towards the beach front but it would add $1000 almost to our bill!

....Just got back from CN. There are no bad rooms. Remember RL-1 "The success of a resort stay is directly proportionate to how little time is spent in the room. You can sit in a room and watch TV at home."