Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dress code

Default Dress code

We are coming down to CTI for New Years for 10 days. What dress codes are there and for which restaurants do these apply?

During the day normal summer and swimwear attire is appropriate.

Beach Grill:
    Swimwear is permitted.

Breakfast and Lunch:
    Swimwear must be dry and covered. No bare feet. Shorts / t-shirts / flip-flops are most common.

Evening:
    Gourmet restaurants and repeat guest dinners: Semi-Formal – summer or cocktail dress and sandals, or skirt and nice top for women. Dress pants, khakis, shirts with sleeves and collar and dress shoes for men. Jacket not required. (Elegant dress sandals are allowed). Jeans, shorts, sneakers, flip flops are not permitted.

Other restaurants:
    Resort Casual - shorts with a nice shirt/blouse and sandals are allowed

You may also feel free to add in your favorite crocs in leiu of the stuffy closed toed mens shoe
    Kristen

[
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Bill&jan View Post
    We are coming down to CTI for New Years for 10 days. What dress codes are there and for which restaurants do these apply?
    ....While there is very little dress codes at couples, except for the upscale restaurant; I noticed that most in the evening dressed in nicer outfits. Women more in skirts and dresses, and men in slacks and buttoned shirts.

Here's the link from the website with the CTI dress codes: http://couples.com/11or/14diningOcho.htm

8 Rivers is the only one with a strict dress code. For New Year's Eve one year we stayed at CN and I can tell you that there were people in tuxes and people in shorts and tank tops. It will definitely vary on that night because it's just a huge party. Have fun! You will LOVE CTI!!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

How does she get away with it?
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I guess when they approve a post for publication, they don't see the original question. That way, her sarcastic remarks don't appear that way.

This is Seandymon--That is absolutely correct. I believe I have removed them all now!

Thanks
    [

I have also noticed how a certain person loves to attack people who DARE asking questions that might seem obvious to others. Why even post the sarcastic remark? Why even read the thread??? I just don't get it. We were all newbies to Couples at some point. Some people simply enjoy posting and interaecting with others, rather than pouring over all the FAQ's. Just different strokes for different floks. No biggie at all!
    Lew

Well I hope this doesn't seem sarcastic but we were at Bayside last week and a newly married groom wore a white undershirt to dinner with his bride and new in-laws
    so I guess ANYTHING goes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I have also noticed how a certain person loves to attack people who DARE asking questions that might seem obvious to others. Why even post the sarcastic remark? Why even read the thread??? I just don't get it. We were all newbies to Couples at some point. Some people simply enjoy posting and interaecting with others, rather than pouring over all the FAQ's. Just different strokes for different floks. No biggie at all!
    Yeah. Now, hopefully, they will be watching her more closely and not allow her to get away with those nasty posts anymore. Then the message board will be safe again for newcomers!
    [

Guess I shouldn't talk about crocs anymore then. I just thought it was funny. Didn't mean any harm or to hurt anyones feelings!!
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    Guess I shouldn't talk about crocs anymore then. I just thought it was funny. Didn't mean any harm or to hurt anyones feelings!!
    It was obviously directed at another person who shall remain nameless (altho most folks are undoubtedly aware as to who this is). You are one of the sweetest folks, if not THE sweetest on this board, Kristen. So not to be concerned there at all.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WandA View Post
    Well I hope this doesn't seem sarcastic but we were at Bayside last week and a newly married groom wore a white undershirt to dinner with his bride and new in-laws
    so I guess ANYTHING goes!!!
    That’s not sarcastic. One of my issues with the dress code is that they don’t seem to enforce it. If you have a dress code, you need to enforce it. After a few couples lose their reservations because they’re wearing flip-flops or t-shirts, the word will get around that they are serious about the dress code. The way it is now, it’s more of a joke than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkhiattky View Post
    I don’t think you hurt anyone’s feelings with your croc-talk. I thought it was funny too (at first).

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I guess when they approve a post for publication, they don't see the original question. That way, her sarcastic remarks don't appear that way.

This is Seandymon--That is absolutely correct. I believe I have removed them all now!

Thanks
    I think we all know who I was talking about and it certainly wasn’t either of you!
    [

That’s not sarcastic. One of my issues with the dress code is that they don’t seem to enforce it. If you have a dress code, you need to enforce it. After a few couples lose their reservations because they’re wearing flip-flops or t-shirts, the word will get around that they are serious about the dress code. The way it is now, it’s more of a joke than anything.
    !
    here here if there is a policy it should be enforced well put

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    here here if there is a policy it should be enforced well put
    ..... Now, they will not allow the wearing of hats by men in either the Lychee or Otaheite restaurants. And will ask you to remove them. I wouldn't at any table, but they don't even allow inside the house,

. . . . One of my issues with the dress code is that they don’t seem to enforce it. If you have a dress code, you need to enforce it. After a few couples lose their reservations because they’re wearing flip-flops or t-shirts, the word will get around that they are serious about the dress code. The way it is now, it’s more of a joke than anything. . . .
    I agree. When we first visited CN in 1999, the dress code was enforced. At that time, the Beach Grill was open for dinner, and Heliconia was set up in the area now covered by the white canopy. Men were not permitted to wear shorts to ANY restaurant except the Beach Grill, and we saw quite a few turned away from Cassava Terrace and Heliconia and directed to the Beach Grill.

In 2002, things changed. In the travel season immediately post-9/11, travel was down, and Couples offered deep discounts to encourage travel-leery Americans to visit Jamaica. This ushered in guests in all matter of dress, and the dress code was not enforced. The dress code became completely unenforceable when CN decided that the Beach Grill would not be open during dinner service but would be "transformed" into Heliconia in the evening. Now, there is no casual dining alternative at CN to which to anyone who might not be dressed appropriately can be directed. With no casual alternative and no room service for most guests, CN has rendered itself unable to enforce its dress code.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Well, whether they enforce the dress code or not, we will respect it and we hope everyone else does too. It makes for a nicer evening for everyone if everyone is dressed up at the fancy restaurants! It's only for a couple of hours.
    [

We have seen guests turned away, discreetly, at Otaheite (CN) because of the dress code. We've also seen guests seated at Otaheite who obviously violated the dress code, but apparently slipped through (apparently some must flaunt regulations, ala Buju B.) .
    So... for CTI, would suggest you comply with their dress code per the link provided.

"With no casual alternative and no room service for most guests, CN has rendered itself unable to enforce its dress code."

Not sure why this means CN couldn't enforce their dress code if they wnated to. It's clear on the website what's expected so if folk don't want to have to dress for dinner then they shouldn't be choosing a resort that requires it. In my opinion it's supremely arrogant of people to assume that they can just ignore the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsters View Post
    "With no casual alternative and no room service for most guests, CN has rendered itself unable to enforce its dress code."

Not sure why this means CN couldn't enforce their dress code if they wnated to. It's clear on the website what's expected so if folk don't want to have to dress for dinner then they shouldn't be choosing a resort that requires it. In my opinion it's supremely arrogant of people to assume that they can just ignore the code.
    Pam's post simply pointed out back in 1999 -2001 the go go days
    the resort may have been in a more favorable position to be strict as their rent roll pipeline was filling quicker then it could be serviced. ( loosing a prospective client vian policy enforcement was not as critical as other wee lined up to replace) Along comes the bubble burst, post 911 followed by our economic slide. If veterans like Pam can attest the "trend" in "jamacian resort attire" has taken on a more casual feel. This is not just couples for those who used to Cruise there is no way the average cruis in 2009 is as formal as it was in 1989.
    Can someone add color on this. This only reflect the fashion trends of business. Look at picture from 1965 where every man in a city scape is wearing a suit. How many men go to work each day in a suit? I would venture to say < 20%. So as much as some would " like" or "appreciate" the act of dressing up, Couples resorts by default or design are in JA and those who are patronizing have adopted a more dinner casual mind set.
    So the increase in casual dinning attire is not so much arrogance but a preference and couples being a bottom line company recognize this paradigm shift and like a good company must adapt of die. If you think about it critically if getting dressed up to have dinner is a key ingredient to a enjoyable vacation, then a destination like Negril is not a good choice.
    Vegas, NYC, Paris, Montreal some upper end traditioanl cruises would be a better fit. Hey as long as the foosd is incredible and you are with your partner that normally is the key ingredient to a wonderful dinnign experience enjoy folks

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsters View Post
    Not sure why this means CN couldn't enforce their dress code if they wnated to. It's clear on the website what's expected so if folk don't want to have to dress for dinner then they shouldn't be choosing a resort that requires it . . . .
    Not everyone who visits Couples checks out the website, and the dress code question pops up enough on the MB to suggest that people aren't reading the information provided on the site regarding appropriate attire.

The dress code is unenforceable b/c the people can't be denied dinner. If they didn't bring appropriate clothing with them, Couples can't refuse to admit them into any restaurant and deprive them of an evening meal.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We have noticed, at CN, that there are efforts to enforce the dress code occasionally. This doesn't address guests that have not packed attire appropriate for any of the restaurants, but there are enforcement efforts. We have seen guests turned away at Cassava at lunch for lack of a cover up, no shoes, etc., and at Otaheite for not meeting the dress code. The dress code continues to be listed in the activities sheet placed in each room and the dress code sign in the picture below (outside of Otaheite) is new as of sometime this year.

The GM has expressed frustration in the past with deciding what the dress code should be, not so much the enforcement of it. She asked our opinion and noted that, in general, the Europeans preferred a more formal code, whereas North Americans tended to prefer more relaxed. Striking the right balance seems to be the challenge.

In January Glenroy Maye did confirm that they had relaxed the Otaheite shoe dress code a bit (the "elegant dress sandals" exception of late).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't see why it should be hard to look nice for dinner. When we go out to dinner around here, my husband is in a collared shirt and closed toe dress shoe and I'm dress up as well. I was shocked to see men at The Palms wearing shorts with sneakers and white socks. You would have thought they were going jogging. One couple was one the dance floor and she was in a long, elegant dress and he was wear the shorts/sneakers/gym socks combo. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    The GM has expressed frustration in the past with deciding what the dress code should be, not so much the enforcement of it. She asked our opinion and noted that, in general, the Europeans preferred a more formal code, whereas North Americans tended to prefer more relaxed. Striking the right balance seems to be the challenge.

In January Glenroy Maye did confirm that they had relaxed the Otaheite shoe dress code a bit (the "elegant dress sandals" exception of late).
    Well I'm definitely one of those North Americans who prefer relaxed attire. But I also believe in respecting the rules and codes currently in force. I find it hard to believe that at some point guests haven't learned in advance about the dress codes prior to their trip. They're putting out some very decent coin for this type of vacation and they don't check the website or were not told by their TAs about stuff like this? Not saying it's impossible, but it does seem to stretch the boundaries of common sense.

There's no rocket science here. Honor the dress codes. It really is that simple.
    Ron

Reading is fundamental. It's just that for some, it's more mental than fun.

Scott & I really enjoy dressing up in the evenings to go to dinner after spending the entire day in beachwear. I think it also adds to the romance of the evening to dress it up a bit. It is like going on a special date every night. We love it.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast