Default CSA dive questions

We are headed to CSA in Feb. I want to get certified to dive. My wife would like to but we both feel the swim test might be the end of her road. My question is can she go on the boat when I do my dives. She's ok if she can't do the swim and continue on the course but she would really like to be on the boat when I do my dives. We are wondering if this is an option. Thanks in advance. Jeff

I do not think they will let her on the boat. Im a certified diver and they wouldnt even let me on the boat when my wife was taking the discover scuba class. It becomes a liability for them when there are more people on the boat. I suggest you both get certified before your trip or at least partially certified. You can do all your confined water dives and bookwork before your trip and get a referral for your open water dives with couples. It might cost you more in the long run but will save you the hassle and worry of trying to complete the entire course at CSA. We saw several people fail the swim test every day we were there. Young and old. If youre out of shape and dont workout the swim will be very difficult for you. If you really want to get certified at CSA just start practicing on your swim before you go.

I don't know if you can go on the boat.

Jvevil, I do know that they do not let husbands who are certified go on their wives first dives because they want to be sure be sure the wife is doing it of her own volition and not being pressured by hubby. They also want to evaluate the women on their own merits. I certified at CSA with 2 other women and all three of our husbands were already certified, and they were not allowed out the first time. I appreciated the chance to do it on my own. It was empowering.

Default swim test

Hi,

I heard that you have to swim 8 laps in freestyle.

Would you have any idea how far is each lap - 10 meters, 15 meters or 25 meters?

I agree with the comment about your wife practicing her swimming before you go. That's what I did before our last trip in July 2008. I did the coursework online before we went and completed the course there. The dive guys are great! They will make it so much fun! I took two sessions at the YMCA so that I would feel confident in my swimming skills. Another plus about doing that is your comfort level in the water also goes up.

Not an option for your wife to be on the boat as a passenger while you dive... My husband dives and I don't--I would love to go on the boat but that is not an option. For one thing it takes a slot away from a diver if the boat is full.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
    Hi,

I heard that you have to swim 8 laps in freestyle.

Would you have any idea how far is each lap - 10 meters, 15 meters or 25 meters?
    The length(im guessing)is between 10 and 15 meters. It's done in the pool next to the Palms restaurant, the pool nearest the dive shop. I could email the DM Anthony and ask specifically if you really need to know.