Default Can someone walk me thru connecting flight process (US to Montego Bay)

I'm an amateur flyer - usually we take all direct flights or stop and get on the same plane. I've never connected.

We are flying from Omaha to Memphis - Memphis to Montego Bay all on Northwest.

Do we collect our bag when we get to Memphis or will it be taken care of until we get to Montego Bay? We don't have to recheck our bag, do we? I know we will have to go through immigration when we get to Jamaica.

And I am assuming on the way home when we stop in Memphis I collect my bag and go through customs/immigration, recheck bag and wait for my flight.

Thanks for helping me with this. I get paranoid about this sort of thing. I worry I'll miss my flight.

We had a connecting flight in Memphis last year. No problems. Check your bags in Omaha and retrieve in Montego Bay. You're right about your return flight. You get your bags before immigration and put it back on the belt. Very simple. Memphis was an easy airport to get around.

Don't feel bad for asking. Many of us are in the same boat. We are making our first "connecting flights" to and from MBJ also. Flying out of St. Louis through Charlotte. We too are used to making non stop flights to Jamaica in the past, but they just weren't available this trip.

I think you have it correct as far as how your bags are handled. You will only check them one time, in Omaha, where they will go through security. You will not see them again till you get to MBJ for security reasons. That's why many folks pack what they can in their carry on bags, at least for the first day. But I think things will work out well for you. You do have your pass ports don't you?

I will be watching this thread along with you to see if I can learn a little something from the more experienced travelers on the board.

Come on you guys. Help a brother out here! What's the skinny on getting through Memphis and Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by trking View Post
    Do we collect our bag when we get to Memphis or will it be taken care of until we get to Montego Bay?
    You will check you bag all the way through to Montego Bay.

I know we will have to go through immigration when we get to Jamaica.
    Correct. (and Customs)

When you get through customs, just head for the Couples Lounge and they will take you to paradise!

And I am assuming on the way home when we stop in Memphis I collect my bag and go through customs/immigration, recheck bag and wait for my flight.
    Correct. They will give you instructions on the flight to Memphis.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

You will check your bags in Omaha, and they will follow (hopefully ) to Jamaica, you are right on the return trip. Once you hit U.S. soil, you will collect your bags and then re-check them.
    Kristen

Don’t worry about the bags not making it. I travel almost once a week (or twice if you include the return flight) about 80 flights a year, and have been doing so for 6 years… MOST of the time (before they started to charge the $25 per bag) I would check my bags… and in all this time, they only “delayed” my bags once… I say delayed as it was delivered to my hotel the next AM. As someone else said, it is a good idea to pack a change of clothes for a day or swimwear etc (plus any needed meds) on your carry on just to be extra safe. Although anything can happen, it is actually very rare you just hear all about it when it does… don’t worry, check in and relax…

We flew that exact route in November. It looks like everyone has answered your questions, but rest assured that on your way back they will guide you through the process. When you get off the plane you will get in line with your customs declaration and be checked by the customs official. You will then get your bags and get in another line to have them rechecked and go through security again. If you purchased liquor at the airport in Montego Bay this is where you will repack it in your luggage. Once you clear security you will go up the stairs to find your connecting flight. You will probably not have a lot of time to get to your connecting flight as both times we have gone our layover was about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. For us it has been just enough time to grab something to eat and take it on board with us for the flight home.

How about for the overnight layovers? We get into Atlanta at 9pm on 4/1 and leave for Montego Bay on 4/2. Do they hold the bags overnight or do we have to recheck them in the morning?

Thanks everyone! I figured I was thinking it through correctly - just being my paranoid self!

We do have passports . . we are set to go!

JohnMon - for an overnight lay-over, you will have to collect your bags and recheck them in the following morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    JohnMon - for an overnight lay-over, you will have to collect your bags and recheck them in the following morning.
    Thanks. I figured that would be the case but who know what the airlines wacky rules are.

Folks,
    Just backing up Trimada's comments "Relax"
    I also traveled crazy schedules, sometimes to three different cities a week (6 flights) for 3 years straight. They really do an amazing job not losing things. Your bags will most likely be there when you arrive. In all those travels I have been through, I experienced my first delayed baggage last year on the way BACK from Punta Cana and that was done on purpose by our carrier. They closed up the baggage loading early to stay on time for other connecting flights they had to meet for the next leg.
    They delivered the baggage to my home the next afternoon.

Relax, Be Happy !! Red Stripes All Around !!
    Tom

We fly through Charlette on our trips to MB and have only had an issue once. The airport is fairly small and not crowded when compared to a Chicago. or Atlanta. We have worried in the past because we only have 5 minutes to catch the connection, and that is if everything is on time.

However, specially in the winter, pack a carry on with at least one days esentials. On one of the 6 trips we have done, the flight to Charlette was late, allowing us only 20 minutes to catch the plane. We did, the luggage didnt, and it was two days before it showed up at CN.

Thanks for all the info on Charlotte! [/sarcasm]