Default Airplane Seating Tip

I just got an email notification from USAirways about a change in our itinerary. Nothing big, a few minutes here and there. However, I took the opportunity to check our flight schedule and seat assignments, and lo and behold, there was a change in aircraft.

Why is this important, you ask?? Well, the original flight had a plane with 2 seats on each side divided by a center isle. The new plane (a 767) has 3 seats, 2 seats, and 3 seats across (two aisles). Since my husband and I had adjacent seats 7A and 7C reserved, we were no longer sitting together under the new configuation (under the new configuration, there is a seat 7B).

I was able to easily change our seat assignments on-line so that we are sitting together.

Especially if you book your own flights, please be sure to check your flights and seat assignments periodically. Since most of us go to Couples on a romantic getaway, it wouldn't be awfully fun to be seated apart from your spouse on the trip.

Oh, and just a final thought from a frequent flier. Even when you have a seat assignment, the airlines like to say that all they guarantee you is a seat on that flight, not a particular seat (even when you have a reserved seat assignment). This is, sadly, true. However, you have a lot better chance of getting the seat you want if you can get your seat assignment in advance.

BobandJudy....great tip. I had checked ours over and over before we left in November. I did notice that the plane coming back had changed as well. We had been in the last row and the bigger plane had us about 3-4 rows from the back. We had already been assigned seats side by side so that wasn't an issue for us but something to definitely keep in mind in the future. Thanks again for the reminder.

I check ours often. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    I just got an email notification from USAirways about a change in our itinerary. Nothing big, a few minutes here and there. However, I took the opportunity to check our flight schedule and seat assignments, and lo and behold, there was a change in aircraft.

Why is this important, you ask?? Well, the original flight had a plane with 2 seats on each side divided by a center isle. The new plane (a 767) has 3 seats, 2 seats, and 3 seats across (two aisles). Since my husband and I had adjacent seats 7A and 7C reserved, we were no longer sitting together under the new configuation (under the new configuration, there is a seat 7B).

I was able to easily change our seat assignments on-line so that we are sitting together.

Especially if you book your own flights, please be sure to check your flights and seat assignments periodically. Since most of us go to Couples on a romantic getaway, it wouldn't be awfully fun to be seated apart from your spouse on the trip.

Oh, and just a final thought from a frequent flier. Even when you have a seat assignment, the airlines like to say that all they guarantee you is a seat on that flight, not a particular seat (even when you have a reserved seat assignment). This is, sadly, true. However, you have a lot better chance of getting the seat you want if you can get your seat assignment in advance.
    We noticed the same thing on last week's flight from Charlotte. The plane they puts us on was not the plane that showed on US Airways website. Ours had a 2 - 3 - 2. We were originally booked on having an aisle seat but had changed it to window a few months back. Good thing we did as we would have been split up as many couples were. I'm glad they were able to use a bigger plane but our flight was completely filled and the extra people did make a difference when it came time to getting off the plane and getting our luggage.

I always check my seat assignments several times prior to our flight. I had originally been booked into certain seats and noticed a number of times that "someone" had changed my seat assignment. I book toward the front of the plane so we can get out quickly and we were suddenly in the back. I was able to move us closer to the front, but if I hadn't checked, we'd have been stuck.

Tammy

Thanks for the reminder. I booked our airfare in August and then a few weeks ago I decided to look at the reservation only to find that or flights had been canceled! Thankfully, I was able to get on a different flight (different dates) and Coupes was able to honor my reservation.

I was able to change our seat assignment on-line for a different gain. I checked often and at one point a pair of seats became available closer to the front of the plane on our MBJ arriving flight. This change put us in front of many more people when we got to the immigration line. It saved us some time.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Thanks for the reminder to check our flight and seats often. We are also flying USAirways with a connect in Charlotte. Our plane is now the one with the 2-3-2 configuration, and we were also split up and put in two different rows on opposite sides of the plane. I always look on the Seat Guru website which helps determine where the preferable seats on each type of plane are located. I changed our seats so that my husband and I are sitting together window-aisle. Does anyone know which side of the plane is best to view the island as we land? Facing the front of the plane, our seats are on the right. We can't wait to get back home to Jamaica and CSA in February. 66 days and counting down.

Quote Originally Posted by SueandBill View Post
    Thanks for the reminder to check our flight and seats often. We are also flying USAirways with a connect in Charlotte. Our plane is now the one with the 2-3-2 configuration, and we were also split up and put in two different rows on opposite sides of the plane. I always look on the Seat Guru website which helps determine where the preferable seats on each type of plane are located. I changed our seats so that my husband and I are sitting together window-aisle. Does anyone know which side of the plane is best to view the island as we land? Facing the front of the plane, our seats are on the right. We can't wait to get back home to Jamaica and CSA in February. 66 days and counting down.
    Those should be the best seats to see the island. We were on the left side of the plane and couldn't see anything but water out our window seats. Have fun.

Another good tip is to do the online check in. Normally you have to wait until the day before the flight. But this way you can ensure the seats you were promised are yours or can switch to better ones if they're available.

It seems like you always do the same landing path coming into MBJ - I'd sit on the right of the plane so you can see Montego Bay as you land. If nothing's available, though, don't worry - the part of the landing where you can see the island lasts about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    I check ours often. Good info.
    ....Also avoid the seats near the restrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineChick View Post
    It seems like you always do the same landing path coming into MBJ - I'd sit on the right of the plane so you can see Montego Bay as you land. If nothing's available, though, don't worry - the part of the landing where you can see the island lasts about 5 minutes.
    One other thing to keep in mind although you can get an idea using the prevailing winds, keep in mind it COULD change…. My advice to get the best side… pick the opposite side from me… the days I get the “good side” is the day the wind changes and they land the opposite way

Default question about changing seats

I see people can change seats but how do you do this?? Do you have to wait till the day before???

It depends on the airline but no… you should book the seats as soon as you book the flight… or shortly after… There are RARE circumstances that you can’t book them in advance, but that is not a good sign, usually it is as they are booked up and only have center seats left… call the airline directly and make sure you have all you info (Flight number etc) on hand….

Ruber - if you booked your flight on-line, most (but not all) airlines allow you to change your seats electronically at any time. On USAirways, I simply call up our reservation number on their website, and then our flights are displayed with the seat numbers. I simply click on the seat numbers, and it shows where we're sitting, and what seats are still available.