Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tip for Carry-On Only Travelers

As many of you on the MB know, my husband and I have visited the various Couples Resorts 15 times, 13 of which have been during the winter, and have never checked a bag. For us, one of the most uncomfortable aspects of traveling with carry-on luggage has been getting from the car/parking structure to the airport without a coat--Michigan and New York winters can be frigid!

I'm a fan of convertible pants made by LLBean, and LLBean has come through again in the winter coat department. This company now makes an ultralight down jacket that you stuff into its own self-contained pocket. We purchased a pair of them; they're very warm, and we're really impressed with how small a package they pack up into. If you like to travel lightly and struggle with the winter coat issue as well, you might want to check them out.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

What do you mean by "winter"?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I hate carry on only travelers. The airlines let you check bags for free when going to Jamaica, just check them so we all can move around a little.

Can you share your packing list with me? Would love to get away with carry on only! We leave from PA in a few days for CN. can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by meldeets View Post
    Can you share your packing list with me? Would love to get away with carry on only! We leave from PA in a few days for CN. can't wait!
    Sure, email me at pamelaboland at optonline dot net.
    Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post

I'm a fan of convertible pants made by LLBean, and LLBean has come through again in the winter coat department.
    ....Linda found similar pants through "Bass Pro". She loves them.

I hate standing in line to check in at the airport with someone sporting two or three massive pieces of luggage taking up all that space and weight! Gosh, it's just so silly sometimes the amount of things people pack for a week! Carry on packing is an art form and I always look for ways to improve it.

Seems to be a lot of hate on this thread now that is not nice….

I pack enough in a carryon bag that can last me a month and my girlfriend packs 6 bags to go for a weekend so judging by the above posts everyone would just hate us…

Personally when going on vacation I DO check my bags simply as it has more space and most importantly I like to bring “fluids” such as sunscreen, more than the 3oz allowed. I personally have also found that checking bags really does not save that much time (exceptions always apply). In addition I personally like my space on a plane so don’t want to be cramming items under the seat where my feet can go… But hey, if you don’t need the space and are okay lugging luggage around the airport then go for it, doesn’t bother me in the slightest…

Carry ons only are fine. I just wish the airlines would enforce their guidelines. IE. size and number. I get tired of waiting behind someone trying to put an oversize carryon into the overhead compartment while holding their full size pillow and gigantic handbag.
    Vicky

Default Cut down some more

To get rid of one coat have one person dropped off at the terminal (they won't need a coat)with the carry on bags. The person who parks the car then is the only one who will need a coat. I don't even use a coat then I wait in the car until I see the shuttle bus then hop on it quickly so I am outside for just a few seconds.

Vickyj, I think/hope they are more. I am guessing that there are space issues now that they charge for bags??? Though may be different for going to JA. We just went to Vegas this past weekend and on the flight there they stopped every person with a bag and made them put it into this slot the size of the largest carry-on allowed. If it didn't fit, they had tickets there and they were making people check items. They were pretty hard core about it. Didn't happen on the way back, but at least it happened once, which was the first I had seen. Maybe things are changing...or maybe it was just because it was a destination that is usually short and filled with carry-on people??

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    I hate carry on only travelers. The airlines let you check bags for free when going to Jamaica, just check them so we all can move around a little.
    "hate" that is pretty strong ooophaa tell us how you really feel lol where is the love
    go hawkeyes !!!

We are carry on only travelers. Not so much to save time (although after spending 12+ hrs traveling on the way home it is nice to just leave for home and not have to stand around waiting for our luggage) but more so because I don't care to risk my stuff being lost. I know it doesn't happen often, but I know people it HAS happened to, and it's NOT going to happen to us. At least not going to Jamaica where the amount/size of the clothing worn for the week is minimal and can easily fit into a carry on. And by the way, I don't hate you because you choose to check your bags...
    Merry Christmas!

not that I am disagreeing with the comment about carry on only...because I hate to be jammed up with people who have a huge bag trying to squeeze it in....but we couldn't check our bags to Jamaica for Free..it was 20 bucks a person..we were lucky to just have two bags, one for each of us.

This is an interesting thread. We're going for our first time in the summer and I never even thought about just taking carry-ons... makes sense since the clothing should all fit in it! What do you guys do for sunscreen though? Are spray cans allowed or do you refill those 3 oz bottles with liquid and take those along?

Quote Originally Posted by kikidoll View Post
    This is an interesting thread. We're going for our first time in the summer and I never even thought about just taking carry-ons... makes sense since the clothing should all fit in it! What do you guys do for sunscreen though? Are spray cans allowed or do you refill those 3 oz bottles with liquid and take those along?
    Hi. Yes, we fill the 3 oz bottles with sunscreen. Also, we pre-tan before we go, which enables us to use less. I am fair skinned, and I am not a tanner...more of a burner. And I am not a fan of tanning beds. However, once every 2-3 years before we go on vacation we use the tanning beds to develop a good base tan, and then we can seem to get by with less sunscreen, only applying it once or twice a day at most. I think last time I took two bottles and my husband took two bottles, and we got by fine. The only thing that burned on me was my hair part! I don't know about the cost of buying it there, but if you're getting charged $20 to check your bag just so you can bring a large sunscreen, I'd bet it's cheaper to buy it there if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by kikidoll View Post
    . . . . What do you guys do for sunscreen though? . . . .
    Neutrogena sells 3 oz. tubes of sunblock. Six 3 oz. tubes fit in one one-quart baggie. We purchase additional sunblock at the resort's sundries store.
    Pamela

Not to change the intent of this thread but I would urge those adamant on having a “carry on” reconsider as the airlines respond to “new carry on regulations” although they have not released exactly what they will be, they ARE saying having carry on will significantly delay things… Just keep it in mind that you "saving 5 minutes" may no longer be the case...

Just arrived home last night and a few things about carry ons (as far as US Air goes) --

On the way there, everyone on the plane had a carry on, so what does that mean? People end up with their carry ons checked. It also takes twice as long to load/unload the plane because of all the carry ons.

On the way back, security is beefed up and people are only allowed ONE carry on item. If you are lady with a purse, for example, your carry on would be your purse -- not your suitcase. For a man, your carry on would be your laptop bag, for example -- not your suitcase.

Just wanted to pass that info along. Put your valuables on your purse or something "on" you because you won't know until the last minute if you will have to check your bag or not.

And also - US Air does charge a bag fee for bags going to Jamaica. If you think you're taking them for free, you may want to check the policy again.

Oh and the good news was that as of yesterday we were allowed to check 2 bags each with NO FEES! Maybe the airlines will realize these bag fees are ridiculous and do more harm than good for anyone!
    Melea & Joseph
    CN - '06, '07, '08
    CSS and CSA - '09
    CSA - '10

Prior to the evnts of the past couple of days, I was going to do carry on only for a trip to Florida with our son. We are visiting family, mom wears the same size as me, we can get sunscreen from the local Walgreens etc. But now that they are going through carry ons, I will pay the extra to check a bag, just one for both of us, and know that my stuff won't be gone through by a stranger and laid on a table for all to see.
    Vicky

All the rules have now changed with the new rules. I would think twice about carry on baggage.
    Irie Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    Prior to the evnts of the past couple of days, I was going to do carry on only for a trip to Florida with our son. We are visiting family, mom wears the same size as me, we can get sunscreen from the local Walgreens etc. But now that they are going through carry ons, I will pay the extra to check a bag, just one for both of us, and know that my stuff won't be gone through by a stranger and laid on a table for all to see.
    FYI, there is still a great likelihood that your checked baggage will be gone through by a stranger . . . just not in front of you. If it is pawed through, hopefully it will be by an honest TSA worker for a valid reason.

Vicky:
    On our last trip back from Jamaica, my checked bag was gone through by someone from TSA. They left a standardized note and TSA tape around my Jerk sauce. The jerk sauce was buried in the middle of my suitcase so they really dug through everything. It must have looked suspicious on a scan????
    Personally, I'd rather have my stuff gone through in front of me than when I'm not around by someone I can't see...just is kinda creepy to me to not know who has touched all of my clothes. I'm rethinking the carryon-only for the next trip...have done it previously.

Anyone know how much sunscreen costs at CSS (or any of the resorts)? We'd like to do carry on only, but that seems to be our biggest question.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimada View Post
    … Just keep it in mind that you[r] "saving 5 minutes" may no longer be the case...

We never travel with carry-on luggage as a "time saver"; like jonnlis, we pack carry-on only b/c we don't want to risk our luggage being lost. We traveled to Detroit from New York and back again on Delta on December 26 and 28. Nothing had changed. We were both allowed one carry-on and one personal item (purse, laptop case, etc.). We saw no one's carry-on luggage inspected in a manner atypical post-9/11, so the suggestion that ALL carry-ons are subject to inspection more intrusive than the x-ray scanning is wrong.

We're traveling to Jamaica in January and are planning to travel only with carry-on luggage as always.* I'll happily post a message on this thread upon our return to provide more accurate information on airline requirements.

*And before there's another comment about how much people hate efficient travelers like my husband and myself, we don't, as one poster has suggested, try to pass off a 75-pound piece of luggage as a carry-on. We are ALWAYS asked if the airline lost our luggage when we show up at the resort b/c they can't believe how little we have; it's actually become a joke with the staff at CN. Franklin always remembers us b/c of our luggage (or lack thereof). There are truly people so organized and efficient that they can travel with TRUE carry-on only luggage.
    Last edited by Pamela; January 2nd, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Pamela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast